List of talented, young fast bowlers with pace in India

ShebbySB

8 hours ago, ShebbySB said:

Aniket seems to be the best Left arm seamer in the country right now,specially in the longer format.

Shami

Umesh

Ishant

BK

Aniket

These should be our test bowlers at present.

I would replace bk with ankit rajput. He is the best uncapped quickie imo. 

Edited by renjith
45 minutes ago, renjith said:

Old starsports.com. It changed to hotstar but the video is not there now.

The video you are talking about was probably 4 years back. He has improved a lot since then and has gotten quicker. Everything in his bowling has improved a lot. He was no way an India material at that time, but as he was tall and left armer, he caught the eyes of Greg Chappel was the Rajasthan academic coach at that time and picked him for Rajasthan team. I believe he was a late starter.

I saw that video too at that time, 4 years back, that you are talking about, saw him bowl live, was bowling 127-135K and I was not really impressed at all and then I saw him bowl against Karnataka in a 2015 Ranjji trophy game and I was like wow, what transformation, for his bowling.

Edited by rkt.india
15 hours ago, ShebbySB said:

Faster than Sran.

I have not seen aniket bowl but have seen Sran..in all his international matches.

TO beat SRAN is difficult as I found Sran was a left arm pacer with BRAINS.

Bran had Brains.

he had crazy variations of Pace and Genuine Swing , pace and Bounce.

bowled from 105k to 144k and many balls between 140 to 144k..

only negative point about SRAN was that he used to be a 128 to 137k bowler with the old ball and some said that he lacked stamina.

I know this he seems exceptional and that's why he was fast tracked to international cricket and he was a tremendous success too in which ever match he played in the 11.

54 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

TO beat SRAN is difficult as I found Sran was a left arm pacer with BRAINS.

bowled from 105k to 144k and many balls between 140 to 144k..

only negative point about SRAN was that he used to be a 128 to 137k bowler with the old ball and some said that he lacked stamina.

As far as I remember, Sran did not go past 141 k   in the international matches he played and mostly bowled 135 k to 139 k even in his first spells. 

Here are some speeds I found  in the Speed and Performance Thread in early 2016

"    Sran - First ODI

132 k to 139 k in his first spell.

128 k to 136 k in his later spells.

Speed ranges in the 2nd  ODI vs Australia

Umesh     138 k to 145 k

Ishant      132 k to 142 k

Sran        128 k to 138 k  

3rd  ODI

Sran has disappointed me in the way he has bowled today in his first spell today.

Just placed the ball gently at 128 k to 135 k.

Quite a few wide deliveries too.

Got hit for 25 off 3 overs as a result @ 8.33 runs per over.  "

He did not touch 140 k on the Zimbabwe tour either

Edited by express bowling
56 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

The video you are talking about was probably 4 years back. He has improved a lot since then and has gotten quicker. Everything in his bowling has improved a lot. He was no way an India material at that time, but as he was tall and left armer, he caught the eyes of Greg Chappel was the Rajasthan academic coach at that time and picked him for Rajasthan team. I believe he was a late starter.

I saw that video too at that time, 4 years back, that you are talking about, saw him bowl live, was bowling 127-135K and I was not really impressed at all and then I saw him bowl against Karnataka in a 2015 Ranjji trophy game and I was like wow, what transformation, for his bowling.

Yes it was an old video. If he is much quicker (140+) now, then he can trouble many batsmen coz of the height and left armers angle.

I find the whole 'at his fastest/at his best' to be an ambiguous measurement that people take way too seriously.

There are plenty of fast/medium-fast bowlers, who bowl an effort ball that is genuinely quick. Best example: Kallis. Most of his career he bowled in the low 130s zone, with good bounce & cut. Made him 'someone you see off without much problems' type of bowler. But when he bent his back and produced his effort ball from short of good length, I've seen him make even Brian Lara and Steve Waugh hurry for pace. Could easily hit low 140s with it.

Pace matters, but it matters in far more in the 'stock ball' category of things or if extremely fast, some high-risk, high-reward deliveries, such as the yorker. 

We also need bowlers with bounce. Skiddy bowlers are all and good, but they need to be more than hip-high in their bounce from good length. That is the greatest danger and that is why, a big difference between Pushpakumara and Waqar Younis type bowler is the level of bounce. War could bounce it higher than the waist off of good length. That is the critical point of forcing the batsman on the backfoot: can you make it bounce more than waist-high. If you can't, life becomes very hard,because basically you cant bowl at batsmen's body too often and the pads (thus lbw) become a far less effective ploy.

29 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

I find the whole 'at his fastest/at his best' to be an ambiguous measurement that people take way too seriously.

There are plenty of fast/medium-fast bowlers, who bowl an effort ball that is genuinely quick. Best example: Kallis. Most of his career he bowled in the low 130s zone, with good bounce & cut. Made him 'someone you see off without much problems' type of bowler. But when he bent his back and produced his effort ball from short of good length, I've seen him make even Brian Lara and Steve Waugh hurry for pace. Could easily hit low 140s with it.

Pace matters, but it matters in far more in the 'stock ball' category of things or if extremely fast, some high-risk, high-reward deliveries, such as the yorker. 

We also need bowlers with bounce. Skiddy bowlers are all and good, but they need to be more than hip-high in their bounce from good length. That is the greatest danger and that is why, a big difference between Pushpakumara and Waqar Younis type bowler is the level of bounce. War could bounce it higher than the waist off of good length. That is the critical point of forcing the batsman on the backfoot: can you make it bounce more than waist-high. If you can't, life becomes very hard,because basically you cant bowl at batsmen's body too often and the pads (thus lbw) become a far less effective ploy.

No bowler bounces the ball hip high from good length. Do you even know what you are you saying? I believe you are trying to say short of good length and not exactly good length. And when did waqar bounce the ball hip high from good length. You need to be tall to get the bounce from just short of good length. Likes of morne morkel does that regularly.

Edited by rkt.india
50 minutes ago, renjith said:

1081100.jpg&w=570

He doesn't look like a strongly built guy. With some strength training he can improve his speed further.

Strength training doesn't help in increasing pace much. It helps you sustain that pace for longer periods. Pace comes from your run-up and bowling action. Strength doesn't translate into pace all  the time.

16 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

What we are finding among most Indian fast bowlers these days is that their stock balls are quite quick and usually hover within 2 k to 3 k of their fastest ball of a spell.  We have seen  this with Shami, Umesh, Bumrah and Ishant.  Srinath had the same quality too.

Another issue is the ability to bowl that sudden faster ball.....something that Zaheer pointed out after he lost a bit of pace during his last 2 years.  He said that " nowadays i cannot bowl 137 k + consistently and, what I do is bowl some deliveries at around 132 / 133 k and suddenly bowl one at 138 k / 139 k with almost the same action and it surprises the batsman " . For pacers who are not consistently quick, this ability helps and I found thatr interview an interesting read.

The ability to get more-than-normal  bounce off length or just short of it,   is often the difference between a good international pacer and an ordinary one. The reason why I want pacers like Nathu Singh and Basil Thampi to be introduced in our pool of pacers  and the new kid being discussed, Aniket Choudhary, has this ability too. ( While guys like Dinda, Mohit, Vinay etc. did not have this ability and they failed dutifully ).

Another interesting issue here  ( which was being partially discussed by Nasser Hussain in our last test series vs. England )  is the greater effectiveness of skiddy fast bowlers with some extra pace in the sub-continent in comparison to the tall bouncy fast bowlers.   My personal observation is that those skiddy fast bowlers, who have the ability to get some balls to bounce higher-than-normal  from length or just short of it,  and some to skid-on along a lower trajectory, are the ones who succeed the most in India nowadays ( like Shami ).  It basically ends up surprising batsmen much more than just skiddy fast bowlers or just bouncy fast bowlers. The great Malcolm Marshall had the same quality.

We need to look for more such bowlers to partner Shami..... and Thampi and  Nathu are again 2 such names.....while pacers like Ishant, Aniket, Ankit Rajpoot etc. would be more the consistent bouncy variety to add variation to our pace attack in Asia and lead the attack on bouncier tracks outside Asia.

Edited by express bowling