Tour Match: India A v Australia at Mumbai (BS) on Feb 17-19, 2017

tweaker

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Exactly.....I don't  understand these negative opinions about Pandya.   He is bowling good length, off stump with bounce and movement at good pace.   He is staying at the wicket while batting at a good SR while chasing against a top ODI team like England..... what more is he expected to do  ?  Bowl like Steyn and bat like Kohli so early in his career   ? 

We have given Jadeja 100 odis and he has hardly played one game changing knock. But we don't want to give a promising young player more than 10 games to showcase his talent. These people deserve their vinay kumars and mohit sharmas. Absolute hypocrites.

Edited by laaloo
2 hours ago, PBN said:

Yes, Pandya has opened the bowling for India in ODIs.  This is first class cricket and I would see Pandya as a 3rd/4th seamer.  Plus this was a practice match and would have preferred someone like Mhd Siraj or some of the other upcoming pacers opening the bowling.

As Pandya is in the test squad ,he has a realistic chance to play in the test than any other upcoming young pacers at the moment

More than Smith, who will of course be dangerous in the middle, the starts given by Warner will have a huge impact on the result in the series. Warner's form could actually make the difference. If he lasts enough and is able to attack Ashwin and handle Jadeja's wicket to wicket spells, Australia would be hard to roll over.

Ashwin is our best spinners but would still be more easier to attack for Warner than someone like Jadeja because of the lenngth both the bowlers bowl. Also the reason why Ashwin gets more wickets is because he tries more than Jadeja, but Warner has a chance here against him by putting him on the backfoot by attacking him. It will be a great contest between the best spinner in the world and Warner

29 minutes ago, tweaker said:

As Pandya is in the test squad ,he has a realistic chance to play in the test than any other upcoming young pacers at the moment

Ofcourse Pandya has a chance especially in overseas with him being an pace allrounder.  Even then his inclusion might be tricky given India's batting.  Anyways, that's for another discussion. And I know that a pace allrounder has a very special role esp for the Indian team.  Does he have the potential?  Possibly. 

Obviously, I don't have any issues with him in the A team. I think you guys are missing the main point here.  My point is how there are no better pace options opening in an India A team FC match..hinting at the selection.  Personally, I'd consider Pandya to be the 3rd/4th seamer.

anyways much ado about nothing.  small matter in the bigger scheme of things

Edited by PBN
58 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

More than Smith, who will of course be dangerous in the middle, the starts given by Warner will have a huge impact on the result in the series. Warner's form could actually make the difference. If he lasts enough and is able to attack Ashwin and handle Jadeja's wicket to wicket spells, Australia would be hard to roll over.

Ashwin is our best spinners but would still be more easier to attack for Warner than someone like Jadeja because of the lenngth both the bowlers bowl. Also the reason why Ashwin gets more wickets is because he tries more than Jadeja, but Warner has a chance here against him by putting him on the backfoot by attacking him. It will be a great contest between the best spinner in the world and Warner

Bhaisaab in 2013, Warner averaged 24. He's the same player he was. But Ashwin has improved miles. So much better now. No reason to be afraid of anyone in this aussie team apart from Starc and Smith. If we play like we played against England, this series should be a breeze.

Edited by laaloo
1 minute ago, laaloo said:

Bhaisaab in 2013, Warner averaged 24. He's the same player he was. No reason to be afraid of anyone in this aussie team apart from Starc and Smith. If we play like we played against England, this series should be a breeze.

Nothing to be afraid, but he has the hitting skills to score like Hayden did. If he fails, he fails, but can't count out his ability to attack us and score a ton or two this series.

He might be weak against spin and might have average record on the last tour but many top players like him eventually find a way to score and have an impact on a particular innings.

And if I have to pick anyone  attacking player today from overseas, I think Warmer is that one overseas batsman who can do it.

Hopefully our bowlers won't let it happen though and make him a chicken through out the series.

36 minutes ago, laaloo said:

Dude even attacking Warner cant play spin. He even struggles against Ashwin in Odis. He averaged 27 in tests in SL last year. Smith is the guy who can actually damage us. Not warner.

It's not just Ashwin. His whole approach even how he bats to other bowlers in the upcoming series and if he is able to negotiate Ashwin and co and attack others will be interesting. 

If he can put Australia to 100-0 and Smith settles in well, we are looking at big Aussie scores at times. 

It is his ability to attack other bowlers also which will matter a lot, that is why I say he is an important player for India to get wicket of early. 

Of course Smith is their best player. 

After watching the highlights, get a troubling feeling that I'm going to have look at Steve Smith's floppy hat for much longer durations than I can tolerate.  Don't like the guy or his batting style, but much respect to his grit and mental strength.  

On Warner, I actually would be fine with him attacking Ashwin - I would expect that to be a short-lived approach.  I'd be more wary of a restrained Warner than an attacking approach from him.   But let's see.  Nobody knows how this is going to play out.  That's why they play the damn game.  I expect Aussies to be as tough an out as the Pommies, if not tougher.   Should be a lot of fun once the tests start.  Can't wait.  

13 hours ago, rkt.india said:

averages 53 in ODIs with the bat with an SR of 119 and 9 wickets in 7 games at 32 till now in ODIs. What more you want from a rookie alrounder?

Those stats are misleading.he just doesn't pass the eye test at batting.maybe he can work on his bowling but he is no allrounder.

Get Rohit in as the No.6.....280-5 in 80 overs will be 521-8 in 130 overs kind of scenario in no time....mentally disintegrate them then attack with our 3 spinners Ashwin,Jadeja and Rohit,with burst of quick spells from Ishant/Shami(if available) and Yadav.

Need to play fire with fire.attack the Kangaroos and play them out and totally annihilate them.

6 hours ago, Pollack said:

Warner has done well against spinner in IPL. Spin not much issue on non helpful pitches.

Playing spin in a t20 is way different than playing spin a test match, with close in fielders and the bowler not limited to bowling just 4 overs and not looking to contain either, warner will be pissing his pants against our trio, if he manages to survive the new ball :giggle:

8 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Those stats are misleading.he just doesn't pass the eye test at batting.maybe he can work on his bowling but he is no allrounder.

Eye test. Hahaha. so, you want him to bat at 7 showing all the right technique? Would Kapil Dev have passed that eye test if that is the case?

Edited by rkt.india
16 minutes ago, Prince_ said:

Yes they obviously did. But ashok and Pandya both played for their national team. Especially Pandya who's india's premier loi bowler.

The way both of them were carted around the park was indeed hilarious. Aussies played them as if they are playing against some school crickets. Didn't expect no 1 team's bench strength to be this poor. 

In the past, Mumbai or other sides have beaten Australia during warm ups. 

You know the reason why? When playing a state side, there is more camaraderie as they play on regular basis. When playing in these one-off games, it is hard for players to form the camaraderie and play as a team as they have all gathered from different teams and all trying too hard to achieve their goal.

Regardless of how good they have been for their respetive teams, in these games, most players lack the ability to play as a team as all are usually playing for their place and are bit more nervous. Most of these get all but one game to impress selectors to get a slot of Indian test team. 

I won't make too much of one bad outing, like the one from Day 1.