Umesh Yadav the best India pacer: Rodney Hogg

9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We did not have a wealth of pacers to choose from even 2 years back.... Umesh was among the 3 best test pacers from our country.

Now, we have lots of pace talent emerging in domestic cricket and,if some of them are better, they will replace Umesh eventually.  

But, Umesh has started to combine accuracy with pace in the last 8 months, swinging the ball both ways and has improved his bouncers. So.... he is not a bad bowler nowadays.

I am not talking about the past. If you notice, in the past, i too advocated for Umesh. But he's had his chance, he is still averaging 40 and taking less than 2 wickets/match while being at his physical peak. With other bowlers knocking, its time to give them a chance and put Umesh as nothing more than injury relief.

50 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Donald and Lee were 10000x the bowler Umesh is. Every team wants a good bowler. Not a Mohammed Sami type bowler. 

As I said, Anderson was mostly military medium throughout his career with occasional bursts of speed. You want a true  medium fast bowler with not much bounce or speed - Ok. Ian Botham Give me a Botham, any day of the week over an Umesh Yadav.

Substantiate 2x first then 10000x .

1 minute ago, Muloghonto said:

I am not talking about the past. If you notice, in the past, i too advocated for Umesh. But he's had his chance, he is still averaging 40 and taking less than 2 wickets/match while being at his physical peak. With other bowlers knocking, its time to give them a chance and put Umesh as nothing more than injury relief.

In the last 5 test matches, Umesh has bowled really well.  If he can sustain it then he will stay.

If he cannot sustain it.... with guys like Aniket Chaudhary , Shardul Thakur and navdeep Saini knocking on the doors of test cricket.... they will come in.

I am actually in favour of trying Aniket C  as soon as  possible. He is a left arm fast bowler, 6'3" tall and has good pace, bounce, swing and accuracy with a good bouncer  and solid FC stats.... worth a try.

Just now, Muloghonto said:

You need to 'substantiate' that Donald & Lee were 2x better bowler than Umesh ?

Donald even now is a better bowler than Umesh probably.

I dont need to substantiate anything you need to or accept that what you are doing here is a rant. Burden of proof buddy.

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

In the last 5 test matches, Umesh has bowled really well.  If he can sustain it then he will stay.

If he cannot sustain it.... with guys like Aniket Chaudhary , Shardul Thakur and navdeep Saini knocking on the doors of test cricket.... they will come in.

I am actually in favour of trying Aniket C  as soon as  possible. He is a left arm fast bowler, 6'3" tall and has good pace, bounce, swing and accuracy with a good bouncer  and solid FC stats.... worth a try.

So then it doesn't make sense for you to advocate for Umesh.

Its clear that India is going to use 2 pacers + 2/3 spinners versus Australia.

Of the 2 pacers, if we want ANY new pacer to be tried out, then Umesh is the one that has to sit, since he is at best, the third best pacer in the team.

So explain to me, how you can support Umesh in the team and still want Aniket to be tried out - that'd imply you want Umesh over Shami/Ishant in the team. Can you justify that position ?

1 minute ago, laaloo said:

Donald test average 22.25

Umesh 38.94

So almost 2x!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go ahead and try 2x first and then proceed to 1000x and 10000x that you have claimed here, we are waiting.

That assumes that better in quality = linear progression of average and not asymptotic progression.

Edited by Muloghonto
3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

So then it doesn't make sense for you to advocate for Umesh.

Its clear that India is going to use 2 pacers + 2/3 spinners versus Australia.

Of the 2 pacers, if we want ANY new pacer to be tried out, then Umesh is the one that has to sit, since he is at best, the third best pacer in the team.

So explain to me, how you can support Umesh in the team and still want Aniket to be tried out - that'd imply you want Umesh over Shami/Ishant in the team. Can you justify that position ?

I said that  I want Aniket tried as soon as possible.... I don't think it is possible in the early part of this series versus Australia till the time we have won this test series.   Umesh and Ishant will play as the 2 seamers as Shami is still injured.

IF  we manage to win this series and one test is left, then we can try Aniket in place of any of the 2 seamers.  

We also missed a golden opportunity to try him against Bangladesh, when we played 3 seamers  and one newbie could have been tried. 

Opportunities may arise due to further injuries too.  

It is not that complicated.

5 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Excellent now try 10000x with any nonlinear bs available from mulog.

apparently you don't know enough math to understand what an asymptote is. I will give you a hint- a perfect score, demographically speaking, in any mass administered test- displays features of an asymptote.

17 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

I am simply disputing the fact that Umesh needs to be in the team until we find someone who has more skills than him AND similar/more pace.

We need no such thing. If we find 3 bowlers who are all Shaun Pollock-esque 'medium fast but not fast' or even three James Andersons, who is neither fast, nor bouncy, Umesh and the like of him should be a permanent injury-replacement bowler only.

Because what ultimately matters,is a better bowler. 

You have very limited knowledge of cricket and neither have you ever followed it closely. Surely, Pollock was a good bowler. But only in his initial years. He was never someone who the opposition would be scared of. He was in the team because he was perceived as an all rounder. In the last 4-5 years of his career, his bowling wasnt scaring anyone!