Is Steven Smith already an ATG?

Almost 5000 runs at an avg of 60.

Batting average of 40+ in all countries - something which probably only SRT did in last 2 decades.

Can bat in different conditions.

From here on even if he manages 2-3 good years and he can easily end up with 9500+ runs at an average close to 55.

He scores everywhere. There are absolutely no chinks in his armor. He can play spin,swing,bounce and seam. He can play ODI's and Tests and also be best in it. He has temperament, skills, fitness, attitude and is hardworking. I actually would be surprised if he doesn't become an ATG. He is much better than kohli at present.Being an Indian I do hope kohli overtakes him.

6 minutes ago, Pollack said:

He scores everywhere. There are absolutely no chinks in his armor. He can play spin,swing,bounce and seam. He can play ODI's and Tests and also be best in it. He has temperament, skills, fitness, attitude and is hardworking. I actually would be surprised if he doesn't become an ATG. He is much better than kohli at present.Being an Indian I do hope kohli overtakes him.

I agree that in tests SS is slightly ahead of VK. But in ODIs and T20i, VK is quite clearly ahead. 

7 minutes ago, kosingh said:

I agree that in tests SS is slightly ahead of VK. But in ODIs and T20i, VK is quite clearly ahead. 

In t20s kohli is way ahead. In ODI's Kohli is more impactful than Smith but Smith is consistent in the sense he score runs be it first or second innings. In tests my personal opinion is Smith is much better. Kohli is slowly getting into groove in tests.

37 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Naah not ATG.He has long way to go.

Long way yes, but how long? What does he need to do? Like I already said he can just have 2-3 good years and he can end up with good amount of runs at avg close to 55 which would be enough to confirm his status and looking at his performance it is very likely.

to boot he is also a handy leg spinner, I remember he was actually selected for Australia as a leg-spinner and a potential successor to Shane Warne...and I was excited to see him bowl that match...and after a few overs I was like this guy is absolute rubbish and had no control over his line or length...but what a batsman he turned out to be.

Can only wish someone like Jadeja (though he is hardworking) just put in the extra effort in his batting and batting temperament he is well capable of averaging mid 40s in Tests.

18 hours ago, chewy said:

to boot he is also a handy leg spinner, I remember he was actually selected for Australia as a leg-spinner and a potential successor to Shane Warne...and I was excited to see him bowl that match...and after a few overs I was like this guy is absolute rubbish and had no control over his line or length...but what a batsman he turned out to be.

Can only wish someone like Jadeja (though he is hardworking) just put in the extra effort in his batting and batting temperament he is well capable of averaging mid 40s in Tests.

Bowling was just a way to get into the team. He always wanted to be a batsman and as he established himself as a batsman, he stopped bowling.

18 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Once he is close to 10k

No batsman averaging 55+ for 5000 runs has failed to reach ATG status in test cricket. He has to be an exception to fail to do so.

He has already proved himself everywhere and he has numbers too. I think he has already got enough.

Even if he averages 45-50 for next 4 years he would end with 8000+ runs at 54-55.