What Sanctions should Kohli face for lying?

MCGGG

Now that the Indian board have found no fault with Steve Smith regarding improper use of the DRS system, it's time to discuss the penalties for the Indian captain for making such outlandish allegations.

First of all, he must be stript of the Indian captaincy, I think we can all agree with that, he not only made the unfounded claims publicly, he also lied about telling the umpires.

Second, a 12 month ban from international cricket.

3rd, He should be sent to Americas hardest prison for 6 months wearing only pink hot pants with ass cut out.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, kruiser said:

ban for life will please you sir? or should we add a clause that he will remain a loyal servant to OZ cricket? rather i should say serve "padosi" cricket since that is where you come from?

Man, I started posting here prior to the last WC, I was called a Pakistani then (first time for everything), I couldn't give a flying * about your rivalry with Pakistan, I only come here when you play Australia, check my posting history.

3 minutes ago, Stumped said:

On a more serious note I do wonder if the BCCIs complaint was withdrawn because with no evidence of Kohlis claim of the Aussies systematic cheating (which there presumably can't have been given it was included in their complaint) the public accusation in itself without any evidence could be seen as a violation of the ICC regulations?

Technically a serious public accusation even with evidence is a violation of ICC regulations.

But if Virat is sanctioned and Smith is not, that would be a complete shame. There would be riots in the cricket world.

Edited by kosingh
1 minute ago, kosingh said:

Technically a serious public accusation even with evidence is a violation of ICC regulations.

But if Virat is sanctioned and Smith is not, that would be a complete shame. There would be riots in the cricket world.

He talked about what he saw on the cricket field. How would he know if they have no footage of that ? He is not responsible for the tv crew not capturing those particular moments.

1 minute ago, Stumped said:

On a more serious note I do wonder if the BCCIs complaint was withdrawn because with no evidence of Kohlis claim of the Aussies systematic cheating (which there presumably can't have been given it was included in their complaint) the public accusation in itself without any evidence could be seen as a violation of the ICC regulations?

Yep, if a national captain is going to publiclly accuse a touring team of cheating he better have some bloody good evidence, if he doesn't then................

The Indian board have withdrawn their complaint, meaning Kohli has a lot of explaining to do.

5 minutes ago, Stumped said:

If there was no evidence why would James Sutherland fly down to Mumbai and meet BCCI CEO?

3 minutes ago, Stumped said:

Unlikely.  All VK needs to do is point to the umpires and ask them to testify that he notified them of his suspicions prior to the Steve Smith dismissal.  VK kept his allegations private until there was public evidence confirming his complaint - the smith dismissal.  Actually, he kept his allegations private until Smith dismissed the entire thing as a "one-off brain fade".    

Only way Virat would be in trouble is if he in fact did not notify the umpires.  In which case, I don't think he'd be stupid enough to claim he did so, in an official post match press conference.  The only other thing VK could be on the hook for, is excessive sledging during the game.  

Look, both boards are more interested in making money, and a drawn out investigation embarrassing Australia does not benefit the BCCI financially.   But having them owe a favor to the BCCI does.  Simple as that.

Just now, MCGGG said:

Yep, if a national captain is going to publiclly accuse a touring team of cheating he better have some bloody good evidence, if he doesn't then................

The Indian board have withdrawn their complaint, meaning Kohli has a lot of explaining to do.

Why did James Sutherland fly down to Mumbai to meet the BCCI CEO?

This was an attempt to defuse the situation and call it a truce.

Kohli has no explaining to do as the world saw what Smith was trying to do.

1 minute ago, Stumped said:

To put forward the suggestion that they were considering going after Kohli for his 'baseless accusations' if there was no evidence perhaps, hence the withdrawal? Just a theory.

Then he would go after Kohli and not fly all the way down to Mumbai.This was more likely an attempt to prevent the embarassment the team will face when its proven that they planned to break rules and cheat.

3 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

The evidence of Smith and his team mates cheating was caught on live tv. What more evidence do you want ? Just because racist-in chief Broad didnt punish his fellow white men doesnt mean they are not guilty. Dont get mad because they got exposed in front of the world. That's worse than any punishment from match referee. 

Are you dumb? Smith admitted he made a mistake, the issue was dealt with, what Kohli did was accuse Smith of systematic cheating, he did so publiclly and claimed he reported it to the umpires, which the umpires have denied which means he lied.

Just now, MCGGG said:

Are you dumb? Smith admitted he made a mistake, the issue was dealt with, what Kohli did was accuse Smith of systematic cheating, he did so publiclly and claimed he reported it to the umpires, which the umpires have denied which means he lied.

When did the umpires deny it?Any statement from the umpires?