Should Ashwin be rested for next Test?

Clearly Ashwin is not at his best, most probably due to the Sports Hernia he is carrying. He can still run through sides if he gets back into his groove.

With the series decider next, do we risk playing our injured/underperforming premier spinner or play a debutant spinner who is still an unknown entity in longer format?

I think the team will take the safer option of continuing with Ashwin, but what is your take?

This is where the stupidity of playing Mishra in the dead rubber against England will hurt us.

Should have blooded K Yadav in that Chennai test.Instead we wasted it on playing Mishra .Now it will be too risky to debut Kuldeep in a decider.

If Ashwin isn't fully fit , I say play both Jayant  and Ashwin to share the workload and drop Nayar for the last test.

29 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

This is where the stupidity of playing Mishra in the dead rubber against England will hurt us.

Should have blooded K Yadav in that Chennai test.Instead we wasted it on playing Mishra .Now it will be too risky to debut Kuldeep in a decider.

If Ashwin isn't fully fit , I say play both Jayant  and Ashwin to share the workload and drop Nayar for the last test.

Exactly. Kuldeep could have been given a debut against Bangladesh as well by resting Ashwin. Now we don't have a ready backup to be played as second spinner.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Kohli should take rest and let someone captain 

Ashwin was underbowled

That didn't work well this match. Not an attack. But rahane didn't really do a good job.

Who else would be an option. For the record i think kohli being dropped is a 0% chance and a silly one too. But i understand what you mean by saying that

Just now, Viper said:

Rahane is not captaincy material anyway and no he won't be dropped even if he fails for next 5 series with single digit scores.. He has already done enough for Ind cricket. 

I agree. And i agree. he is fantastic to watch when he is playing well. Too many people seem to think aussies hate him. We just hate how he is acting. But then the old "pot calling the kettle black" argument comes into play and we also can't really disagree there.

This slump wont last forever. He will be back to his best soon enough.

Personally i just hope it lasts for one more game

The last test ends on the 29th. Punes first match on the 6th. IPL ends on May 21. Champions trophy starts June 4th. He needs rest which he won't get. Best thing is to skip IPL but that's not really an option so Ashwin has to get through this.

Won't be surprised if he skips IPL.

If he isn't sure , team management should step and ask him to miss atleast the first half the tournament.

1 hour ago, laaloo said:

The last test ends on the 29th. Punes first match on the 6th. IPL ends on May 21. Champions trophy starts June 4th. He needs rest which he won't get. Best thing is to skip IPL but that's not really an option so Ashwin has to get through this.

Some of our players are going to be fatigued by the time CT starts and that is worrying.

Kohli has had an even bigger workload than Ashwin as he was full time captain for first time against England in LOIs. Even if he played just as batsman it would have been huge.

Ashwin, Jadeja had that series off but have been bowling record no of overs.

KL Rahul too has been and will be playing non stop with some injuries in between. Not sure whether he will make first XI for CT though.

4 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

It's individual decision ultimately.Calling it disgraceful is over the top.

It is and I am not one of those "I am a test purist - IPL can go to hell" types.

Ashwin is struggling. India needs him terribly and if he has an injury, he has to skip the IPL.

Or else injury should never be used as an excuse for him.

Edited by sensible-indian