Hello there Guest!
Why not register to gain Full access to ICF and start sharing your views!    

Welcome to the Indian Cricket Fans site.

You are currently viewing our Cricket Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most cricket videos, discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to watch videos, post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Indian Cricket Fans > Indian Cricket Fans Message Board > Nerd Talk

Mathematical Universe Hypothesis
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
akshayxyz
The Legend
$ICF: 10,579,503
Mathematical Universe Hypothesis

An interesting take on universe/reality, I read some time back.
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jul...y-made-of-math

Of course, it is not yet possible to prove/disprove this theory, experimentally or with currently known mathematics knowledge base.
But what makes it 'believable' is the idea that - given sufficiently advanced technology (computing power and time), everything can/should be modeled using mathematical structures - including the machines/computer that model is supposed to be run/simulated on. And you do not need any matter, to begin with, for mathematical-rules/formula to exist.
Alt Today
Advertising

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
The Outsider
The Legend
$ICF: 1,985,225,673
Yeah, Max Tegmark has been publishing these non mainstream papers on and off for quite a while - some very interesting ideas in them, though none of them remotely within the experimental/observational realms in the near future. He is a bit of publicity driven, but really good -taught me my first Cosmology course in grad school.

Last edited by The Outsider : 10-28-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Sachin Tendulkar is the number 1 batsman of his generation.

" In our society, a man who does not cry at his mother's funeral is liable to be condemned to death"
- Albert Camus in the foreward to "The Outsider"

"Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure" - The first few sentences of "The Outsider" by Camus

Unread 10-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
punjabi_khota
Brown Bastard
$ICF: 214,514,423
Need to attend his next talk for sho

Unread 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
The Outsider
The Legend
Quote Originally Posted by punjabi_khota View Post
Need to attend his next talk for sho
His talks are uber cool - he tries to present precision Cosmology as the greatest thing man invented. Nothing wrong with his facts and figures, but just how he exemplifies even mundane progress in the field has caused quite a bit of acrimony between him and others working on the same research area.

" In our society, a man who does not cry at his mother's funeral is liable to be condemned to death"

"Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure" - The first few sentences of "The Outsider" by Camus

Unread 10-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
akshayxyz
The Legend
$ICF: 10,579,503
What is the fun when everyone starts agreeing with everyone else, and surely no progress...hmm progress can still happen...may be not... anyway his ideas are very interesting, must be awesome to work with.

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Vijy
Marauder from Najafgarh
$ICF: 17,195
Hi Outsider,

I've heard Tegmark before too, and I think that he may be on to something here. It reminds me of Ed Witten's quote:

"But the beauty of Einstein's equations, for example, is just as real to anyone who's experienced it as the beauty of music. We've learned in the 20th century that the equations that work have inner harmony."

Btw, did you take his classes at U.Penn or at MIT?

Last edited by Vijy : 03-19-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Unread 03-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
The Outsider
The Legend
Quote Originally Posted by Vijy View Post
Hi Outsider,

I've heard Tegmark before too, and I think that he may be on to something here. It reminds me of Ed Witten's quote:

"But the beauty of Einstein's equations, for example, is just as real to anyone who's experienced it as the beauty of music. We've learned in the 20th century that the equations that work have inner harmony."

Btw, did you take his classes at U.Penn or at MIT?
Penn.

The quote is a bit too poetic for me - and perhaps it's the genius of people like Einstein who can combine that level of philosophy into an essentially scientific career.

The "best" philosophy that I've been able to come up with is along the lines of - what did the caveman do lying under the stars and wondering what it's all about after a hard days' work. The tax payer paid people are just trying to find answers to that caveman's curiosity.

Unread 03-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Vijy
Marauder from Najafgarh
$ICF: 17,195
Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
Penn.

The quote is a bit too poetic for me - and perhaps it's the genius of people like Einstein who can combine that level of philosophy into an essentially scientific career.

The "best" philosophy that I've been able to come up with is along the lines of - what did the caveman do lying under the stars and wondering what it's all about after a hard days' work. The tax payer paid people are just trying to find answers to that caveman's curiosity.
Agreed. The quote does sound as if it was designed to be a "quote" - he could certainly have put it in more practical terms.

Your viewpoint is quite interesting since one could extend it to the entire world around us, and research into these areas can be thought of as a drive to satisfy one's curiosity about how and why things happen.

Unread 03-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
adi B
zzzz!!
$ICF: 2,367,094,657,184
outsider vs insider
B what u wanna B !!!!