Hello there Guest!
Why not register to gain Full access to ICF and start sharing your views!    

Welcome to the Indian Cricket Fans site.

You are currently viewing our Cricket Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most cricket videos, discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to watch videos, post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Indian Cricket Fans > Indian Cricket Fans Message Board > Cricket Talk

Past (Indian) Coaches
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
sangrock
Bumble Fan!
$ICF: 37,408,190
Past (Indian) Coaches

Can anyone please list the past Indian cricket team coaches. I couldn't find it online

This is the list i came up with -

1992 - 1996 Ajit Wadekar
1996 - 1996 Sandeep Patil
1996 - 1997 Madan Lal
1997 - 1999 Anshuman Gaekwad
Kapil Dev
Anshuman Gaekwad
2000 - 2005 John Wright
2005 - 2007 Greg Chappell
2008 - present Gary Kirsten

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Australia have had only 3 coaches -
1996 - 1999 Geoff Marsh
1999 - 2007 John Buchanan
2007 - Now Tim Nielsen

SA -
Ray Jennings
Mickey Arthur

I am surprised that cricket teams did not have a coach in the earlier decades (or did they?)

Knock knock...
Who's there?
The guy finished second,
The guy finished second WHO?
EXACTLY!
Alt Today
Advertising

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Ram
The man, the Moustache
$ICF: 1,545,069,804
Who was the guy was who our coach+trainer+manager immediately following Guru Greg’s exit? He essentially managed the entire team, along with Robin Singh and Prasad for quite a while. He was our lucky mascot and we won quite a few series with him being around, including the WC T20.

And apart from John Wright, we had dreadful times under most of our past coaches. Wadekar and Patil were ordinary. Lal had a great start (we won the first four ODI tournaments we played under name, all of ‘em co-incidentally named the Coca-Cola cup), but went downhill fast. Kapil was a disaster, while Gaekwad had his comments. The less said bout the ‘The Guru’, the better.
"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' & all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself & others. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, & all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."

--C. Hitchens

Unread 09-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
patriot
Prince of Calcutta
$ICF: 32,904,017
Quote Originally Posted by marirs_mania View Post
Who was the guy was who our coach+trainer+manager immediately following Guru Greg’s exit? He essentially managed the entire team, along with Robin Singh and Prasad for quite a while. He was our lucky mascot and we won quite a few series with him being around, including the WC T20.

And apart from John Wright, we had dreadful times under most of our past coaches. Wadekar and Patil were ordinary. Lal had a great start (we won the first four ODI tournaments we played under name, all of ‘em co-incidentally named the Coca-Cola cup), but went downhill fast. Kapil was a disaster, while Gaekwad had his comments. The less said bout the ‘The Guru’, the better.
Lalu ( Lalchand) Rajput . But he was treated shabbily when he applied for the position of assistant coach ( to Kirsten ).

I wonder what Robin Singh and Venky are still doing with the team, then.

Unread 09-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
The Outsider
The Legend
$ICF: 1,985,225,673
Prior to Wadekar, it was Bedi of the dump the entire team in the Indian Ocean fame.

But the concept of a "coach" as such is a relatively new one in cricket. Prior to Marsh for Australia, there was Bobby Simpson and the concept of a coach basically started from there. Teams used to have a manger responsible in bits and parts of organizing sessions, strategizing etc. Even till as late as Bedi, Wadekar, Patil I don't think they were designated coaches.
Sachin Tendulkar is the number 1 batsman of his generation.

" In our society, a man who does not cry at his mother's funeral is liable to be condemned to death"
- Albert Camus in the foreward to "The Outsider"

"Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure" - The first few sentences of "The Outsider" by Camus

Unread 09-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Ram
The man, the Moustache
$ICF: 1,545,069,804
Quote Originally Posted by patriot View Post
Lalu ( Lalchand) Rajput . But he was treated shabbily when he applied for the position of assistant coach ( to Kirsten ).

I wonder what Robin Singh and Venky are still doing with the team, then.

Who knows, maybe he just wasn’t good enough. He had his moment under the sun, he will reap the benefits of it for the rest of his life.
"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' & all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself & others. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, & all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."

--C. Hitchens

Unread 09-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
sangrock
Bumble Fan!
$ICF: 37,408,190
Quote Originally Posted by marirs_mania View Post
Who knows, maybe he just wasn’t good enough. He had his moment under the sun, he will reap the benefits of it for the rest of his life.
MAYBE! He was coach of MI in IPL-1.
I still suspect that he was ousted on being an Indian and too ego-full dressing room. I don't appreciate the work culture of Indian team. Although MSD has tried to change that.

Knock knock...
Who's there?
The guy finished second,
The guy finished second WHO?
EXACTLY!