Hello there Guest!
Why not register to gain Full access to ICF and start sharing your views!    

Welcome to the Indian Cricket Fans site.

You are currently viewing our Cricket Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most cricket videos, discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to watch videos, post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Indian Cricket Fans > Indian Cricket Fans Message Board > Chit Chat
Closed Thread

Mahabharata : Whom do you think was the most powerful warrior?(Excluding lord krishna)
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
don_corleone840
Prince of Calcutta
$ICF: 4,761,822
Mahabharata : Whom do you think was the most powerful warrior?(Excluding lord krishna)

Arjuna
The third of the five Pandava brothers, an ambidextrous master archer and as a Maharathi played a key role in the victory of Yudhisthira in the Mahabharata War. Arjuna used the magnificent bow Gāndeeva, and killed many Kaurava generals like Bhisma, Karna and Jayadratha.

Bhishma
The eighth son of Kuru King Shantanu who was blessed with wish-long life and had sworn to serve the ruling Kuru king. Bhishma is the one who witnessed the Mahābhārata completely from the beginning since the rule of Shantanu. Bhishma was the supreme commander of the Kaurava forces for ten days. Bhishma was the strongest barrier that had protected the Kaurava camp from impending defeat. Bhishma had sworn to Duryodhana that he would kill ten thousand valiant warriors of the Pandava army every day.

Drona
Dronacharya was a master of advanced military arts, including the Devastras. He was considered to be a partial incarnation of Brihaspathi. Drona had been the preceptor of most kings involved in the Kurukshetra War, on both sides. Drona caused immeasurable loss of life on the Pandava side. Drona was one of the most powerful and destructive warriors in the Kurukshetra War. He was an invincible warrior, whom no person on earth could defeat. He single-handedly slayed hundreds of thousands of Pandava soldiers, with his powerful armory of weapons and incredible skill. After the fall of Bhishma, he became the Chief Commander of the Kuru Army for 5 days of the war.

Karna
Karna was the son of Surya (a solar deity) and Kunti. Karna entered the battlefield only on the eleventh day, after the fall of Bheeshma. Karna had to use kill the Asura Ghatotkacha by the Vasava Shakti, which had been gifted to him by Lord Indra in return for his divine armour. Karna was the commander of the Kaurava army. Karna single-handedly defeated all but one of the Pandavas on this sixteenth day of the Kurukshetra war. He overcame Bhima but left him alive, saying that as Bhima was younger than he was, he wouldn't kill him. He defeated Yudhisthira and also left him alive, saying that: "It seems that you have forgotten all the teachings which your guru has taught you, so first go and practice them and then come to fight". Karna then defeated Nakula and Sahedeva but didn't kill them, since he had promised his mother to spare the lives of all the Pandava brothers except for Arjuna. After defeating all of Arjuna's brothers, Karna asked his charioteer, Shalya, to drive his chariot to where Arjuna was standing. Karna took his powerful weapon, Nagastra and shot it at Arjuna. Krishna saved Arjuna from certain death by his divine powers.

Duriyodhana
Duryodhana, 'difficult to fight with', his real name was Suyodhana) is the eldest son of the blind king Dhritarashtra by Queen Gandhari, the eldest of the one hundred Kaurava brothers. Duryodhana picks his archnemesis Bhima over the other Pandava brothers whom he could have effortlessly overwhelmed with his skill at fighting with the mace, to ensure a fair fight. Both possessed exceptional physical strength and had been trained by Balarama in mace fighting and wrestling to equal degrees of prowess. After a long and brutal battle stretching many days, Duryodhana begins to exhaust Bhima. Bhima viciously attacks Duryodhana with a mace and strikes his groin, and Duryodhana finally falls in battle, mortally wounded.

Bhima
The second of the Pandava brothers. Bhima was distinguished from his brothers by his great stature and strength. Always wrathful, and strong of arms, he is not capable of being subdued in battle by even Indra himself. Bhima a Maha-ratHi, capable of fighting 60,000 warriors at once, so mighty was he that when he were to roar in anger he would put to shame the proudest lion and frighten the most fearless warrior". Bhima was a great general in the great battle of Kurukshetra, second in command only to the generalissimo Dhristadyumna, killing six out of the eleven akshauhinis of the other side (Kauravas). Six Akshauhinis adds up to the astronomical figure of around 1,705,860 men and 787,320 beasts which is testimony to the portrayal as the character of supreme physical prowess. During the battle, the Kauravas were frightened to face his might and sent elephants to fight him. Bhima's weapon of choice was the mace - in the use of which he was second to none. On the final day of the battle, Bhima fights Duryodhana, After striking him clean blow when Duryodhana tries a bad move with and upside down attack, servers the nerve attaching the back bone and both the thighs of Duryodhana in a duel. Thus, fulfilling the vow to break his thighs, Hence, his blow to Duryodhana was above his waist level but on his back with severed the nerve that brings mobility to legs.

Barbarika
Barbarika alias Khatushyamji alias Shyam was a grandson of Bhima, Second of the Pandava brothers. He was the son of Ghatotkacha (who in turn was son of Bhima) and Kamkantkata Ma Morwi . Even in his childhood, Barbarika was a very brave warrior. He learnt the art of warfare from his mother. God Shiva, pleased with him, gave him the three infallible arrows (Teen Baan). Hence, Barbarika came to be known by the appellation Teen Baandhaari, the "Bearer of Three Arrows". Later, Agni (the god of Fire) gave him the bow that would make him victorious in the three worlds.
Alt Today
Advertising

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
sunnyji_2k
Thank you Master!!!
$ICF: 75,135,547,815
Barbarika didnt fight in the war.so leaving him.

Bhishma

Drona/Karna

Arjun

Bhima

Duryodhana.

In that order.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2
Thank you Champion!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Precambrian
$ICF: 65,162
Karna

then Bheema
Quote Originally Posted by CSK Fanatic View Post
illitrate Bhajji says Kiran Pollard , idiot its prounced Ka-ae-ron Pollard.

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
rkt.india
RIP Phil Hughes
$ICF: 3,549,253,884
Where is Ashvatthama?
Bhabhak raha mera antarman
Fafak raha mera antarman
Par na aag bujh rahi
Na ashru ubal rahe

Aaj hai ye kaisa antarman
Jhanjhvato me gote khata pratyek kshann
Apni hi smritiyon se ladta
Kyu nahi chir-nidra me so jata antarman

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
sunnyji_2k
Thank you Master!!!
Quote Originally Posted by rkt.india View Post
Where is Ashvatthama?
Thats a valid question.Neither are Kripacharya Kritvarma Satyaki Bhagdutt etc are mentioned.

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
b555
ESPA Senior Member
$ICF: 61,023,205,358
you are doing a course on this now?

Unread 08-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
The Dark Horse
The Legend
$ICF: 299,875,319
Karna
Don't ever let somebody tell you... You can't do something. You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want something, go get it. Period.

Unread 08-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
velu
The Legend
$ICF: 1,080,925,045,598
karna

krishna cheated him

Unread 08-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
ravishingravi
Aflatoon
$ICF: 100,344,928
Karna

Unread 08-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Desi Cartman
Go Aussie Go!
$ICF: 3,000,001,509
all of them were idiots. They all did nothing when they saw someone insulting a woman and trying to rape her in front of all these supposedly knowledgeable people.

Special to 5 idiots who gambled their wife
FYI FLAMY has a Girl friend

Unread 08-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Sir john
BhagamBhag
$ICF: 2,015,114,898,621
eklavya

Unread 08-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Desi Cartman
Go Aussie Go!
$ICF: 3,000,001,509
Quote Originally Posted by Sir john View Post
eklavya
bevkoof tha, guru ne manga to thumb de diye .. aur salaey tu to kisi ko thumbs up bhi na de
FYI FLAMY has a Girl friend

Unread 08-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
Saurav01
It's all over
$ICF: 1,164,703,735,158
Technically speaking, no one is stronger or more able than Bhishma.

And Bhishma never received the king of professional training that the Pandavas and Kauravas received.

And the Pandavas had certain unfair advantages - a) they were children of gods b) they were helped by gods in different situations, and even got rare weapons from the gods c) Krishna was manipulating anything and everything for them all the time.
Chief Election Commissioner of ICF

Unread 08-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
sunnyji_2k
Thank you Master!!!
Quote Originally Posted by Saurav01 View Post

And Bhishma never received the king of professional training that the Pandavas and Kauravas received.

And the Pandavas had certain unfair advantages - a) they were children of gods b) they were helped by gods in different situations, and even got rare weapons from the gods c) Krishna was manipulating anything and everything for them all the time.
Bhishma did get training?you outta your mind?he got trained in martial arts by God Parashuram himself.He was taught dharma rajdharma rajniti shastras by devguru Brihaspati.He was a son of godess Ganga and was a celestial being himself born as a human.He couldnot die if he didnt wish to.He was so accomplished a warrior that when God Parashuram later challenged and fought him he fought for 21 days and managed to defeat God Parashuram.

If anyone had training advantage skill it was him.Though he had sworn not to fight a woman and never go againist the King of Hastinpur and hence his troubles.

Unread 08-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
bajrang
Prince of Calcutta
$ICF: 24,353
Hanuman, unless lord Ram was playing too.

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
akshayxyz
The Legend
$ICF: 10,579,503

this.

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Sachin=GOD
***100***
$ICF: 60,676,116,675,563
Quote Originally Posted by rkt.india View Post
Where is Ashvatthama?
Quote Originally Posted by sunnyji_2k View Post
Thats a valid question.Neither are Kripacharya Kritvarma Satyaki Bhagdutt etc are mentioned.

I'd say these were all part of the "support cast" so they shouldn't really be included in this list.

On topic, taking into consideration all the factors that were against him from the very beginning, the most powerful warrior has to be Karna followed by Bhishma, Arjuna, Drona and Bheema.
the memories you have left with me will always be with me forever and ever, especially "Sachin, Sachin" which will reverberate in my ears till I stop breathing.
Sachin Tendulkar

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
tdigi
Mango named Sachin
$ICF: 145,447,594
Karna.. no doubt about it.
Bhima is the Incredible Hulk.

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
tdigi
Mango named Sachin
When will we have a Mahabharata trilogy in the style and standards of LOTR? That would be epic!!!

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
Sachin=GOD
***100***
Quote Originally Posted by tdigi View Post
When will we have a Mahabharata trilogy in the style and standards of LOTR? That would be epic!!!
Movies made on Mahabharata will indeed be grand but it will have to be at least 6 or 7 parts
the memories you have left with me will always be with me forever and ever, especially "Sachin, Sachin" which will reverberate in my ears till I stop breathing.
Sachin Tendulkar

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
tdigi
Mango named Sachin
Quote Originally Posted by Sachin=GOD View Post
Movies made on Mahabharata will indeed be grand but it will have to be at least 6 or 7 parts
More the better

Aamir Khan was interested in a movie venture on the Mahabharata. I hope someone delivers.
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2009/ja...xt-venture.htm

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
Vibhash
$ICF: 150,821,979
Where is poll?

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
Sachin=GOD
***100***
More the better

Aamir Khan was interested in a movie venture on the Mahabharata. I hope someone delivers.
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2009/ja...xt-venture.htm
what we need is for a Director like Ashutosh Gowarikar (who can make such grand films) along with a Star like Aamir Khan to make this project.
Sachin Tendulkar

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
sunnyji_2k
Thank you Master!!!
I'd say these were all part of the "support cast" so they shouldn't really be included in this list.

On topic, taking into consideration all the factors that were against him from the very beginning, the most powerful warrior has to be Karna followed by Bhishma, Arjuna, Drona and Bheema.
Bhishma and Drona were most powerful.Karna after.them.The case about Bhishna have already made
by me.Regarding Drona he was so powerful a warrior that even death couldnt kill him as long as he had a weapon in his hand and was only killed.after he laid.down his weapon.

Karna.. no doubt about it.
Bhima is the Incredible Hulk.

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #25
tdigi
Mango named Sachin
Ok may be he was not the most powerful, but I like Karna. He was the honest and humble one. All others were manipulative.

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Saurav01
It's all over
Bhishma did get training?you outta your mind?he got trained in martial arts by God Parashuram himself.He was taught dharma rajdharma rajniti shastras by devguru Brihaspati.He was a son of godess Ganga and was a celestial being himself born as a human.He couldnot die if he didnt wish to.

If anyone had training advantage skill it was him.Though he had sworn not to fight a woman and never go againist the King of Hastinpur and hence his troubles.

Abe, training by madman Parashuram qualifies as 'amateur' training and not professional training Even Karna got trained by Parashuram.

Drona was an organised guy, thereby capable of giving 'professional' training.

He was so accomplished a warrior that when God Parashuram later challenged and fought him he fought for 21 days and managed to defeat God Parashuram.

Ah, that was my main point.

If anyone had training advantage skill it was him.

As stated before, Karna had the same advantage too. In fact, he was taught by both Drona (before being kicked out) and Parashuram.

To sum up, Since Bhishma kicked Parashuram's butt royally, he's easily the best; in mythology, no one else has ever beaten a Vishnu avatar otherwise.

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
Sachin=GOD
***100***
Bhishma and Drona were most powerful.Karna after.them.The case about Bhishna have already made
by me.Regarding Drona he was so powerful a warrior that even death couldnt kill him as long as he had a weapon in his hand and was only killed.after he laid.down his weapon.

Bhishma and Drona might have been very powerful but Karna faced extraordinary challenges and as Tdigi mentioned, he was quite honest and humble while others played Politics.
Sachin Tendulkar

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Saurav01
It's all over
Ok may be he was not the most powerful, but I like Karna. He was the honest and humble one. All others were manipulative.
Producer Bobby Bedi has been planning a 'Mahabharat' along with Mani Ratnam for years. Last heard (5 years back), the budget was 500 crores. But they want big stars, and I doubt it will ever get made.

Regarding Karna, he has had two serious flaws:

a) Insulting Draupadi before her 'Vastraharan' (as a payback for the 'Sutputra' insult)

b) Attack Abhimanyu from behind inside the chakravyuha (very shameful act )

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #29
Saurav01
It's all over
Bhishma and Drona might have been very powerful but Karna faced extraordinary challenges and as Tdigi mentioned, he was quite honest and humble while others played Politics.
That makes Karna the most likeable character and the tragic hero, but not the most powerful guy.

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
sunnyji_2k
Thank you Master!!!
Abe, training by madman Parashuram qualifies as 'amateur' training and not professional training Even Karna got trained by Parashuram.

Drona was an organised guy, thereby capable of giving 'professional' training.

He was so accomplished a warrior that when God Parashuram later challenged and fought him he fought for 21 days and managed to defeat God Parashuram.

Ah, that was my main point.

If anyone had training advantage skill it was him.

As stated before, Karna had the same advantage too. In fact, he was taught by both Drona (before being kicked out) and Parashuram.

To sum up, Since Bhishma kicked Parashuram's butt royally, he's easily the best; in mythology, no one else has ever beaten a Vishnu avatar otherwise.
Ghonchu bhai,

Parashuram was the most powerful warrior in the times of Bhishma.He killed.every Kshatriya on earth 21 times.So he was the best teacher.His two students were Karna and Bhishma and they could beat any student of Drona hands down.

And though Karna was also trained by Parashuram i guess he wasnynas powerful as Bhishma.Bhishma could annihilate the entire pandava army alone so could Drona and Karna.But all were tied down by their different virtues and promises.Karna bynhis magnamity and his promise to.Kunti.Drona and Bhishma by their love for Arjuna amd hence the secret of their death.

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
don_corleone840
Prince of Calcutta
$ICF: 4,761,822
That makes Karna the most likeable character and the tragic hero, but not the most powerful guy.
Playing karan is aamir khan dream role

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #32
PaceAttack
Marauder from Najafgarh
$ICF: 16,439
Sakuni....

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #33
Saurav01
It's all over
Ghonchu bhai,

Parashuram was the most powerful warrior in the times of Bhishma.He killed.every Kshatriya on earth 21 times.So he was the best teacher.His two students were Karna and Bhishma and they could beat any student of Drona hands down.

And though Karna was also trained by Parashuram i guess he wasnynas powerful as Bhishma.Bhishma could annihilate the entire pandava army alone so could Drona and Karna.But all were tied down by their different virtues and promises.Karna bynhis magnamity and his promise to.Kunti.Drona and Bhishma by their love for Arjuna amd hence the secret of their death.

Stop behaving like loony Parashurama and repeating what I am saying only.

You have already agreed that Bhishma was the most powerful. As far as Parashurama is concerned, a loony ganjeri sanki guy can never be the best 'professional' teacher (that's what I have been saying all through).

As far as Parashurama's student vs Drona's student is concerned, we have never seen a fair fight between Arjuna and Karna to know who would have won.

Karna's promise to Kunti was that apart from Arjuna, he would not kill any other Pandava. But he lost his Vaijayanti over Ghatothkach, and wasn't really equipped to kill Arjuna after that.

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #34
Sachin=GOD
***100***

are you kidding me!!! Parashuram was considered to be the best warrior. Period.

Drona never really trained him because even when Karna was under him, Drona never gave any attention to him because he was not of Royal Blood. Also, despite receiving training from Parshuram, Karna also revived the curse that he wouldn't be able to use his Brahmastra when he really need it and that the wheel of his Rath would be stuck at a very important time.
Sachin Tendulkar

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
Yoda-esque
Vulcan Man
$ICF: 200,807,685,665
Most powerful was Duryodhana..he was unbeatable till Krishna trolled him
And The Truth Shall Set You Free

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
tdigi
Mango named Sachin
Quote Originally Posted by PaceAttack View Post
Sakuni....
Manthara of Ramayana and Shakuni of Mahabharata, the cunning instigators.

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #37
Yoda-esque
Vulcan Man
Manthara of Ramayana and Shakuni of Mahabharata, the cunning instigators.
Narad muni..the biggest instigator

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
tdigi
Mango named Sachin
Quote Originally Posted by Yoda-esque View Post
Narad muni..the biggest instigator
haha...yes... the God of Trolls
http://www.indiancricketfans.com/sho...d.php?t=268643

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #39
Saurav01
It's all over
are you kidding me!!! Parashuram was considered to be the best warrior. Period.

Drona never really trained him because even when Karna was under him, Drona never gave any attention to him because he was not of Royal Blood. Also, despite receiving training from Parshuram, Karna also revived the curse that he wouldn't be able to use his Brahmastra when he really need it and that the wheel of his Rath would be stuck at a very important time.
I am simply stating that the best warrior need not be the best 'professional' coach. Parashuram was the best warrior surely, but I'd still regard Drona as the best coach, since he was an absolute professional in the business, unlike moody and unpredictable Parashuram.

Karna did get stuck a lot of times because of all the curses he got.

But he had other advantages too; he was Surya's son, and was born with the kavach-kundala. Morever, he cheated on the battlefield (by attacking Abhimanyu from behind), but Arjuna never did any cheating during the war. All the cheating by the Pandavas was done by Krishna singlehandedly.

Unread 08-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #40
Yoda-esque
Vulcan Man
Sj,Mariyam should pay obeisance to him then
Closed Thread