Indian media watch thread

Number

To be frank, news is a news right? I mean if something has happened, it has happened if there is a communal riot then there is a communal riot. None of the media houses can change the news. The problem is the personal opinion of the journalist or news anchor presenting that news as to in which direction he wants to take it. And how much time would media house wants to air that particular news. I have no objection with debates like if some attack on church happened Ravish Kumar after giving a small introduction and his personal opinion gives each of his panel whether in favour or against the opinion of Ravish same time to express themselves even if I disagree with the opinion of Ravish, I am in full favour of this kind of journalism. I do not want all the journalist to be government mouthpiece but I do not want them to be opposition mouthpiece as well. The problem is Arnab Goswami or Karan Thapar kind of Journalism, "How dare you do not think in the same way as I think." Igniting Psuedo Nationalism and using this platform to malign someone. My suggestion stop the journalist or news anchor to give his or her personal opinion let him just be a news reader and debate moderator nothing else if he wants to give his or her personal opinion invite the person as panel.

To be frank, news is a news right? I mean if something has happened, it has happened if there is a communal riot then there is a communal riot. None of the media houses can change the news. The problem is the personal opinion of the journalist or news anchor presenting that news as to in which direction he wants to take it. And how much time would media house wants to air that particular news. I have no objection with debates like if some attack on church happened Ravish Kumar after giving a small introduction and his personal opinion gives each of his panel whether in favour or against the opinion of Ravish same time to express themselves even if I disagree with the opinion of Ravish, I am in full favour of this kind of journalism. I do not want all the journalist to be government mouthpiece but I do not want them to be opposition mouthpiece as well. The problem is Arnab Goswami or Karan Thapar kind of Journalism, "How dare you do not think in the same way as I think." Igniting Psuedo Nationalism and using this platform to malign someone. My suggestion stop the journalist or news anchor to give his or her personal opinion let him just be a news reader and debate moderator nothing else if he wants to give his or her personal opinion invite the person as panel.
Agreed. I have always held this view that the only role of anchors is to present the facts and let the viewers make their own judgments. Anchors should not tell their own views or worse still, try to force those views on the panelists. Sadly almost every single anchor in India thinks that its his/her job to not only inform the public but also to impose his/her views on the public.

^ I agree. If it was done subtly then I wont mind in whose favor they do it. But doing it brazenly makes it disgusting to watch. They don't leave any scope for viewers to form their opinions based on how the news is articulated. They just literally attack the viewers mindsets. It sounds childish to me. People are smart enough to know the truth. Internet is a good medium for finding out the truth.

ihcj49CZlEo Altho satirical, is Paid News in newspapers this blatant? http://www.quora.com/How-accurate-was-The-Daily-Shows-expose-of-Indian-newspapers

Quoting partially - As many as 694 cases of paid news – or news for which the media organizations took money to publish or broadcast – were detected by the Election Commission in this election, official said. By the time the 10 phases of the polls ended to form the 16th parliament on May 12, thousands of cases of paid news were reported, according to EC officials. In 3,053 cases, notice was issued by the EC suspecting a foul play, an official said. Let me also add here that, in my experience, media reports have always been modest with numbers. If it mentions 694, I won't be surprised if the actual numbers are much higher. One example comes to mind [2] A leading channel covered an opinion poll which asked if Kejriwal (newbie politician) was right in bringing down govt in Delhi. The responses - Yes 25% No 69% Can't say 17% I am 111% sure these numbers are shamelessly stupid. I'll quote an ex-journalist before ending [3] I have been a part of media and now an observer, and I think the 2014 elections will go down in history as the worst in terms of partisan reporting. News flow is no longer dictated by events, but by carefully drawn out strategies in news rooms and possibly board rooms too. News reports are being timed with precision to influence the outcome. It is an ambush of democracy. Sources - [1] Almost 700 paid news cases detected in 2014 Lok Sabha elections | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis [2] 1tanya4: @TheRahulMehra @dilipkpandey ... [3] Peri Maheshwer - "There are as many media houses in my... [4] Who owns your media? - An inforgraphic worth noting [5] Reporters Without Borders - In depth on world press freedom index.

^Paid news is very prevalent and very dangerous as its basically a political ad but shown as news. And since the 2009 election there has been a variety of paid news - not only does it contain positive news for the person buying such coverage but it can also take the form of ignoring all/most news about his opponents or worse still, showing negative news about opponents and all such 'news' is really ads shown as news in such a way that it is almost impossible for average people to distinguish between the two.

^ this is the problem with Indian journalists . Somebody makes a claim and they publish it without basic cross verification and corroboration. A prime ministerial candidate promises Rs.15 Lakhs in every account and no journalist had the intelligence or courage to do basic calculations and mention that it would translate to an absurd figure of $ 30 Trillion DOLLARS which is greater than India's combined GDP of the last 20 years. Here the journalist should have verified with DD and not simply acted as a stenographer for this dubious producer.

^ this is the problem with Indian journalists . Somebody makes a claim and they publish it without basic cross verification and corroboration. A prime ministerial candidate promises Rs.15 Lakhs in every account and no journalist had the intelligence or courage to do basic calculations and mention that it would translate to an absurd figure of $ 30 Trillion DOLLARS which is greater than India's combined GDP of the last 20 years. Here the journalist should have verified with DD and not simply acted as a stenographer for this dubious producer.
Oh Dr. Theekhi-Mirch, please post the video in which he said it. Go ahead.

He made no such promise. You are a liar and an incorrigible one at that.

He made no such promise. You are a liar and an incorrigible one at that.
The irony of it all. :hysterical: The fool is ranting about how journalists don't cross-reference information. Isko lagta hai ki hum sab yahaan akkal ke fakir hain.

As far as the trend of not corroborating purported news is concerned, the classic and most egregious example is that of The Hindu, which (around 8-9 yrs ago) published a front page article based on a completely false, bogus and madeup SIT "report" indicting Narendra Modi. Someone gave/"leaked" this completely false report (and by that I mean every line of that report was made up), and The Hindu happily ran it as its front page story without even asking SIT or the Gujarat govt whether such a report even existed. They had to issue the mother of all retractions the next day. Didn't seem to have learned from that shameful episode though.

Another example of media people (I don't think this anti-Modi troll even qualifies to be called journalist) simply make things up. The following article amply illustrates how she mindlessly blamed RSS for the nun's rape without a shred of evidence, and simultaneously exonerates Bangladeshis who were in fact responsible.

Rana Ayyub – the Ace Detective CBI never had CBI, India’s premier investigative authority, has thousands of cases piled up on its desks. Everyday, some or the other scandal gets referred to CBI in the hope of a fair investigation. But some cases do not reach CBI, because they may not be that important. Now, there is a ray of hope for such cases. Meet Rana Ayyub, India’s most intellectual brain outside of the CBI, who can decipher all details about a crime, sitting in an AC office with just a laptop. An example of her superior powers of deduction was on display in this (http://www.dailyo.in/politics/nun-gangrape-modi-mohan-bhagwat-church-vandalism-rss-sharad-yadav-mother-teresa/story/1/2596.html ) piece, which she took just 18 hours to write. After rambling on about other stuff, midway in the post Ayyub, cracks the case of the Church robbery and rape of a Nun in West Bengal. She confidently proclaims: “An act like this required an inherent hatred of a faith and its believers. This was an act of communalism, an act of terrorism. An act which was emboldened by the support of the likes of the RSS chief “. Mind you this was written on 17th March 2015, which should indicate the rapid speed at which Ayyub’s brain works. And all this, although the Archbishop, on this very same day had refused to give this act any communal angle. It is very possible that he was paid to say such statements because the integrity and honesty of a stellar journalist and detective like Rana Ayyub is beyond doubt She further goes on to say: In an ideal world, all cops should have closed this case at this stage, since Rana Ayyub had already played judge jury and police and declared RSS responsible for an “act of communalism and terrorism” which we dumb laymen call Rape. But sadly, the cops went on a wild goose chase. Last night it was reported that the cops had finally caught 2 of the accused involved in the West Bengal incident. One was caught from West Bengal and the other from Mumbai, and both of them were incidentally Bangladeshi nationals, in direct contradiction of Rana Ayyub’s claims. We do not rule out Mohan Bhagwat kidnapping two Bangladeshi’s and conducting a plastic surgery on them to match their faces with those captured on the church’s CCTV, just to exonerate himself and his goons. From the above it is clear that likes of Mohan Bhagwat, will go to any extent to discredit an immensely gifted crime solver like Rana Ayyub, who impartially, without any hidden agenda whatsoever, for the public good, spend 18 hours of their valuable time in solving cases of “terrorism“, without any sort of personal gratification from any religious or political groups. We at OpIndia.com salute such path breaking attempts to break the hegemony of the likes of CBI and CID, in deciding criminal cases in India. http://www.opindia.com/2015/03/rana-ayyub-the-ace-detective-cbi-never-had/

Another example of media people (I don't think this anti-Modi troll even qualifies to be called journalist) simply make things up. The following article amply illustrates how she mindlessly blamed RSS for the nun's rape without a shred of evidence' date=' and simultaneously exonerates Bangladeshis who were in fact responsible.[/quote'] There is a reason why SM has given her the name Da-rana Ayyub :haha:

All videos are available online . namo cheergirls can prevaricate till their holy cows come home. You can whine, that when BJP claimed they would bring back " Kaala Dhan" , They obviously did not mean ALL the money . It could be any amount greater than $ 1. They can moan that Pradhan Drameybaaz was referring to a some distant future when he claimed , if black money is brought back to india every poor person can get Rs.15-20 Lakhs . Or that it was only a "Jumla" , idiomatic expression or observation . Not an electoral promise. What is indisputable is the absurdity of the figures bandied. And if the MSM had been doing it's job , perhaps the poor and gullible of the country could have been spared of the habitually buffoonish exaggerations of this Charlatan.

All videos are available online . namo cheergirls can prevaricate till their holy cows come home.
Rather than perennially talking out of your backside, post the video and shut us up. Why are you not posting the video?
You can whine, that when BJP claimed they would bring back " Kaala Dhan" , They obviously did not mean ALL the money . It could be any amount greater than $ 1. They can moan that Pradhan Drameybaaz was referring to a some distant future when he claimed , if black money is brought back to india every poor person can get Rs.15-20 Lakhs . Or that it was only a "Jumla" , idiomatic expression or observation . Not an electoral promise. What is indisputable is the absurdity of the figures bandied. And if the MSM had been doing it's job , perhaps the poor and gullible of the country could have been spared of the habitually buffoonish exaggerations of this Charlatan.
The enforcement directorate has started charge-sheeting people with regards to black money. I will admit that it is happening at a slower pace than I would've hoped, but this govt. has already done way more than the previous govt; the previous govt. didn't even set up an SIT. And no, the govt. is not exaggerating the amount of black money. Ask your handlers, they'll give you first hand reports.

Another example of media people (I don't think this anti-Modi troll even qualifies to be called journalist) simply make things up. The following article amply illustrates how she mindlessly blamed RSS for the nun's rape without a shred of evidence' date=' and simultaneously exonerates Bangladeshis who were in fact responsible.[/quote'] I wouldn't even term her as a journalist. Her articles have zero analysis, use jargons to amplify her arguments and there are never any facts. Glammed up doll that NDTV gives a platform to for venting out her frustrations.