Wimbledon 2017

Cricketics

Guys,  who's winning this?

I am feeling good about Wawrinka, Thiem, Kyrgios and even Djoker.

I think Federer will have a good run till 4th round at least. 

Will be interesting to see how Nadal does who is playing great tennis. He surely is playig at top level but I don't see him winning here on grass, will surely play well though.

Wawrinka even if he enters Stanimal mode ain't winning SW19. His style is more suited to slower courts because he needs time to make his shots, he can't do that on the relatively skiddy and unpredictable grass court. He has a high racquet swing and won't get the timing right in the conditions he will face there. Also you need a good ROS here because it is difficult to break, Stan has a pathetic ROS. I will be very surprised even if he enters QF stage.

My picks:

1. Federer/Murray

Federer would be outright no 1 but his longish break makes him unpredictable, we have no idea what to expect from him here. Will he play a good baseline game after losing rhythm and skipping FO which is awesome practice for rallying ? Will he improve his serve and get it to 2014-15 level? Will his new backhand work on grass? Too many variables. Murray has lost form the last 6 months, so both these guys are favorites but ever so slightly.

3. Nadal

If he can survive the first week, he will be dangerous. Sun will bake the court and he will enjoy the baseline slug from there on. His serve in FO was terrific, probably the best since USO 2010. His overall game is brilliant presently and he looks fit and healthy, so I doubt his knees will collapse during the tournament. Confidence will be sky high for him after winning his 1st major since 2014. He has won the Channel Slam every time he won FO without dropping a set (2008 and 2010). This year again he didn't drop a single set, definitely a good bet. 

Now that Djoker is busy with Amor y Paz, I doubt he will make any inroads here. He needs to get his act together ASAP, time is running out for him. I predict an exit before R4 for him. Stan won't do much damage here. Same with Alex & Mischa Zverev, Raonic, Dimitrov, Tsonga, Thiem, Nishikori, Isner, Berdych, Del Potro, Monfils.....none of them have indicated thus far that they are ready to win a major next month, some lack ability, some have form issues, others injuries. May be 1 or 2 among these guys will reach SF stage.. that's the max they will do. 

Dark horses-  

1. Kyrgios  

If the Aussie brat can keep his head under control he can win the whole thing, grass suits him perfectly. Immense, immense talent with a big serve and big balls. He won't choke against the big dogs unlike other youngsters. Murray has been a nightmare matchup for him, but he isn't that great this year so Nick needn't fear him. After the Swiss maestro I will root for him, tennis needs a character like him, love his game. 

2. Cilic

His nemesis Djoker is down in the dumps, he can beat everyone else. If he gets going like in USO 2014 he may sweep the competition. Big serve, very good ROS and powerful groundstrokes on both wings, will definitely keep a watch on him. 

Edited by Gollum

Nole will be motivated:cheer:

With Federer securing top 4 he won't meet big guys till semi's. Good for guys like Murray, Djoker.

Nadal has been poor for past couple of years here. Big guys have blown him off the court here. But with him winning FO his confidence level will be high. I don't see him reaching Semi here though. Murray, Federer clear favourites for the title but with Murray's form Federer has a chance here.

Stan meh on grass :sleep:

Can't wait to seeFederer on grass. Just won Gerry Webber open beating youngZverev easily.

This is the first time Federer will be playing in Wimbledon agter getting his touch back which he did around Australian open.

@Gollumagree about Kyrgios being dark horse. In fact if he can get his mind right and concentrate on every point, then he can win the semis and quarters also. Only problem is that he loses his mind and not game when playing top opponents in the later rounds. He tends to start playing for the crowd than for himself and starts to have unforced errors etc

This is what Gael Monfils used to do too but he wasn't a hot-head compared to what Kyrgios can be. The guy can seriously win grandslams and is lethal on grass but just need to keep calm and play out of his zone a bit.

Tough draw for Nole. Murray with an easy draw here until QF atleast.

Nole winning Eastbounre should do him good :cheer:

Possible Nole Del potro in R3. Novak in Roger half :popcorn: Murray Nadal in same half. If Murray's hip is not an issue he should be through to Final.

On 7/1/2017 at 8:25 PM, kumar713 said:

Tough draw for Nole. Murray with an easy draw here until QF atleast.

Nole winning Eastbounre should do him good :cheer:

Possible Nole Del potro in R3. Novak in Roger half :popcorn: Murray Nadal in same half. If Murray's hip is not an issue he should be through to Final.

Disagree. Nole has an easy draw mostly till QF. 

His early rounds have DelPo but DelPo is recently injured- shoulder i think, so i don't think DelPo will be much of a threat to Nole.

Beyond him, the next few possibilities are the likes of Monfils till QF.

He has a potential QF date with thiem, but thiem is inconsistent out of clay. Beyond him, its Gaquet, Berdych and a very dark horse in Feliciano Lopez- he is the form player of that quarter, coming in on the best grass court tennis of that quarter this year, but there's a reason the man's #25 and never been in top 10. No 'lurker big server' in the traditional sense hiding in Nole's draw is a huge bonus for him.

Overall, pretty easy draw for Nole. 

Murray's draw is far tricker - he's likely. got Kyrgios on 4th round. Yes, Murray has dominted Kyrgios so far, but Kyrgios has the tools to beat Murray, especially if Murray doesn't hit his top form. If not Kyrgios, its Pouille. He also has huge server in Vesely early on and also Brown, who can be very dangerous on grass. there's also a young Canuck called Shapovlov, who has a refreshing serve and volley aptitude. 

If he goes through all that, his likely QF date is with Wawrinka or another huge server in Querry. Pouille also has an effective game on grass.

Far harder draw than Djokovic and more likely to be upsets in this draw due to  so many X factors and good players present. 

Nadal has a fairly brutal draw too: He's got a likely date with Khachanov in R3 and Servebot Karlovic in R4. Khachanov is a rising Russian, with big and towering power game and a boomer of a serve. Lost 'respectfully' to Federer recently. And Karlovic is capable of getting to R4 with his serve-botting. 

If all this isn't enough, he's most likely got to deal with Cilic at QFs, who can beat anyone on his day on grass too. 

Lastly, Federer's draw is also a very bad one. 

He's got an early date with older Zverev, an adept serve & volleyer in R3, an extremely dangerous and 'poor man's Federer' Dimitrov in R4 and most likely his previous vanquisher Raonic in QF. His QF date is likely to be the hardest, given its most likely to be one of Alexander Zverev, Raonic and Sock, a huge serving high tempo American. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:46 AM, flat_wicket_bully said:

Fed is playing Doglopov today. I think Doglopov is kind of injured so should go through in straight sets

Pathetic to see Fed's and Djokovic's opponent retiring in the first round.

All these players do is turn up to play the event just to collect their entry salary of playing first round which is around 40k. I can't blame them since its a good free salary for making into top 120 and into the main draw, but ATP had a rule earlier which they don't apply in Grandslams at this time, but should start doing, which was to let a lucky loser(the player who loses last match of the qualifying round) play in the first round, and just pay the injured guy his salary even if he doesn't appear, and just make the lucky loser earn starting round 2 if he wins round 1. This rule will ensure that we have a full complete round 1 match and that injured players are not turning up only to collect their money and retire in the middle of first round game.

36 minutes ago, kumar713 said:

Cilic has a chance agaist Nadal if he reach QF's

Dimitrov against Federer should be good too :popcorn: 

I agree, Cilic vs Nadal could end up being a brilliant match.

Disappointed with Kyrgios, I thought he will do big in this years Wimbledon. He is surely an underachiever till now in his career with the amount of talent he has.

So happy to see the "good boy" and one of the liked guys of tennis went on tobeat Nadal.

Look for his Atp Brisbane win on youube which was earlier this year which was also his first Atp title after playing all these years. He was very emotional and puts lot of heart into his performances.

Been grinding it out in ATP for a decade and always makes it to 2nd or 3rd round, glad to see him make it to the 2nd week of a Slam and meeting and knocking out one of the greatest players.

Well Done Muller