Using Bharat over India

zen

10 hours ago, Vilander said:

wtf are you ranting Zen really. Why would any one loose the name India for something as arbid as Bharat  ? is it the name Bharat or is it Baaharaath ? lol

India is a brand, admittedly of lack of latrines and pooping in the open as of now but we can work on it. Bhaarath is an Indian nick name, for us to call it amoung ourselves it sure is local and we know it but its probably not best suited to rename India as a country with that. I mean why would we loose our significance as the Indian civilization. Its India (Bharat) always.

Please note that Bharat and India are both official names of the country. My point is to use Bharat more extensively rather than India, which you accurately mentioned also brings images of unpleasant things such as fascination with everything phoren, a former British colony, slavery, poverty, uncleanliness, corruption, etc., so there is no harm if "India" is eventually phased out from official usage 

FYI (from wiki):

"The Republic of India has two principal short names in both official and popular English usage, each of which is historically significant, India and Bharat. The first article of the Constitution of India states that "India, that is Bharat, shall be a union of states," implicitly codifying India and Bharat as equally official short names for the Republic of India"

"The official name Bhārata was picked to be name of country India in 1950."

Edited by zen

5 minutes ago, zen said:

Please note that Bharat and India are both official names of the country. My point is to use Bharat more extensively rather than India, which you accurately mentioned also brings images of unpleasant things such as fascination with everything phoren, a former British colony, slavery, poverty, uncleanliness, corruption, etc., so there is no harm if it is eventually phased out 

FYI (from wiki):

"The Republic of India has two principal short names in both official and popular English usage, each of which is historically significant, India and Bharat. The first article of the Constitution of India states that "India, that is Bharat, shall be a union of states," implicitly codifying India and Bharat as equally official short names for the Republic of India"

"The official name Bhārata was picked to be name of country India in 1950."

yup India, that is Bharat. India is the first name among equals. So there is no case of Bharat being the name of the country.

Just now, Vilander said:

yup India, that is Bharat. India is the first name among equals. So there is no case of Bharat being the name of the country.

Bharat is already an official name. The point is to discontinue the official usage of the term "India" (unofficially it can be used) and only officially use the native "Bharat", which more accurately represent the historical greatness of the region 

india_medallion_classic_round_sticker-rf

1 hour ago, zen said:

Bharat is already an official name. The point is to discontinue the official usage of the term "India" (unofficially it can be used) and only officially use the native "Bharat", which more accurately represent the historical greatness of the region 

india_medallion_classic_round_sticker-rf

nope not possible sorry its India officially. Bharat is not the official name.

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

India is the official name, Bharat is what Indians call it locally. Sorry.

Both Bharat and India are official names. Google is still alive :wink:

Edited by zen

23 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

I simply do not agree that an older world is more representational because its older. What is more prevalent is more representational or what has a better historical context is more representational. As i said, i've never spoken to a Punjabi or Southie guy who used 'Bharat'. Ever. Even in bengali, we say 'Bharot' but fluent, Bengali speaking Punjabis in Kolkata still call it 'India' in mid sentence bengali. So it is a more representational term. 

Actually outside of Hindi and Bengali speakers, i've never heard the term Bharat used by any other Indian ethnicity in conversation. 

Southies call it Bharatam or Bhartanam!

Edited by HemuChandra

On 6/24/2017 at 10:16 PM, Muloghonto said:

We were called India throughout 2000+ years of history and historical occurrence of the term Bharat is far far rarer than occurrence of India. Check history. 

Bull **** where is your source?

6 minutes ago, HemuChandra said:

Bull **** where is your source?

What you mean source ? it wasn't citation, it was analysis. You won't find more than 10-12 references, in entire Indian history leading up to 200-300 years ago where 'Bharat' is mentioned. As i said, we used 'Aryadesha/Aryavarta' far more commonly.

3 hours ago, Vilander said:

India being the name that the country will be identified from outside always. 

Outsiders can call whatever they want to including India ... The issue is not that people should not call the country Ind but officially the country should call itself Bharat only rather than using both Bharat and India as official names

Edited by zen

3 minutes ago, zen said:

Outsiders can call whatever they want to including India ... The issue is not that people should not call the country Ind but officially the country should call itself Bharat only rather than using both Bharat and India as official names

why should we call it bharat only ? Germans use both Germany and Deutscheland. Why can't we use India and Bharat ?

2 hours ago, zen said:

that already happens i know in Hindi and in South its Bharat/Bharatam so it already happens. Official name for out side being India, We differ in one aspect which is loosing the name India, it will open for exploitation later claims may come from Pak/BD etc that they are the original India so yeah not happening.

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

that already happens i know in Hindi and in South its Bharat/Bharatam so it already happens. Official name for out side being India, We differ in one aspect which is loosing the name India, it will open for exploitation later claims may come from Pak/BD etc that they are the original India so yeah not happening.

There is nothing complicated about this including claims being foresaken. The country would only need to say that from this point it would refer itself as Bharat only 

Such things are not rare. Bombay is now Mumbai, B'lore is B'luru, Madras id Chennai, etc. 

On 6/24/2017 at 1:14 PM, Muloghonto said:

Devised by modern Indians. Show us which historical text from India uses the term 'bharata' from the thousands of years following Rig Veda, until the 19th century.

Mulo in his anti-chaddi avatar! :p:

in Vishnu Purana :-

उत्तरं यत्समुद्रस्य: हिमाद्रेश्चैव दक्षिणम् ।
वर्षं तद् भारतं नाम: भारती यत्र संततिः ।।

The country (varṣam) that lies north of the ocean and south of the snowy mountains is called Bhāratam; there dwell the descendants of Bharata."

The Sankalpa we recite every day - we say Jambudweepe Bharatavarshe Bharatakhande, , it has always been in our memory that this land is Bharat.