Using Bharat over India

zen

38 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I got a culture shock reading @Muloghonto 's older posts in this thread :p:.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Mulo in his anti-chaddi avatar! :p:

in Vishnu Purana :-

उत्तरं यत्समुद्रस्य: हिमाद्रेश्चैव दक्षिणम् ।
वर्षं तद् भारतं नाम: भारती यत्र संततिः ।।

The country (varṣam) that lies north of the ocean and south of the snowy mountains is called Bhāratam; there dwell the descendants of Bharata."

The Sankalpa we recite every day - we say Jambudweepe Bharatavarshe Bharatakhande, , it has always been in our memory that this land is Bharat. 

Err, there is no inconsistency. Our historical literature uses aryadesh and madhyadesh way more than bharat and I still think bharat, India should be used as Germany, Deutschland or Finland,Suomi etc.

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Bongs say Bharot...I don't like the rat/rot part. India so classy :dance:

Are you judging  Bharat based on the meaning of rat/rot in English? 

If so that is the mindset one needs to move away from :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

Err, there is no inconsistency. Our historical literature uses aryadesh and madhyadesh way more than bharat and I still think bharat, India should be used as Germany, Deutschland or Finland,Suomi etc.

But, what is mostly used contemporarily now - 22+ languages use Bharat for India. The constitution didn't use Aryavarta/Madhyadesh as it is no longer in use. It says.. "India, that is Bharat shall be a Union of States". It is tough to change now as all others use India, maintain the status quo.

main-qimg-be845f56207c5557380108e549f59f 

Yes, we are discussing the two names in official use - Bharat and India. As mentioned in OP, b/w these two names, currently, India is predominantly used but would like to see Bharat, which is of subcon origin, used predominantly. 

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

But, what is mostly used contemporarily now - 22+ languages use Bharat for India. The constitution didn't use Aryavarta/Madhyadesh as it is no longer in use. It says.. "India, that is Bharat shall be a Union of States". It is tough to change now as all others use India, maintain the status quo.

main-qimg-be845f56207c5557380108e549f59f 

i think atleast till our independence , we ( tamils ) refer hindustan/india as bharat(am) ..

freedom fighter/poet bharathiyar used bharatam to refer india

1 minute ago, zen said:

Yes, we are discussing the two names in official use - Bharat and India. As mentioned in OP, b/w these two names, currently, India is predominantly used but would like to see Bharat, which is of subcon origin, used predominantly. 

like japan and nippon ? :hmm:

5 minutes ago, zen said:

We are, right. In all local language news, we refer it as Bharat. Bharat ne aaj toss jeeta aur pehli baari mein ...

5 minutes ago, velu said:

like japan and nippon ? :hmm:

Yeah, other examples are Germany - Deutschland, Switzerland - Suisse, Schweiz, .... 

Spelling variations include Spain - Espana, Italy - Italia, .... 

14 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

We are, right. In all local language news, we refer it as Bharat. Bharat ne aaj toss jeeta aur pehli baari mein ...

Maybe make the switch to Bharat as the name on the cricket kits, jerseys, etc., at the T20 WC :dontknow:

Edited by zen

21 minutes ago, zen said:

I would like to see both used concurrently and predominantly. This is because reality is, bulk majority of Indians who have died, died due to the ‘indian’/‘Hindi’ tag. The tag matters to us or at least it SHOULD matter to us as much as the term ‘JEW’ matters to Jews. Jew is also like ‘ Indian- a tag used by all non Jews ( just like for India it’s usage is mostly from non Indians) ‘and has been used to subjugate them. Their term for themselves is yahudi/yehudi and they use both terms concurrently and dominantly. Heck, they make sure we know them mostly as Jews and are usually surprised when we call them yehudi.

1 minute ago, Muloghonto said:

I would like to see both used concurrently and predominantly. This is because reality is, bulk majority of Indians who have died, died due to the ‘indian’/‘Hindi’ tag. The tag matters to us or at least it SHOULD matter to us as much as the term ‘JEW’ matters to Jews. Jew is also like ‘ Indian- a tag used by all non Jews ( just like for India it’s usage is mostly from non Indians) ‘and has been used to subjugate them. Their term for themselves is yahudi/yehudi and they use both terms concurrently and dominantly. Heck, they make sure we know them mostly as Jews and are usually surprised when we call them yehudi.

Currently, India is used predominantly though as we can see at sporting events, intergovernmental meeting, etc. 

s-l300.jpg

I am not too concerned about what other countries/groups do.  As for Jews, note that the the country is called Israel (and its other spelling variants such as Isra'iyl and Yisra'el)

I am not too concerned about what other countries/groups do.  As for Jews, note that the the country is called Israel (and its other spelling variants such as Isra'iyl and Yisra'el)

I am pointing out to you why the label ‘Indian’ is important to us and why it is more meaningful than Bharat: it is the name used by our oppressors, hindh/hindu/Hindustan is just an Arabized version of India/Indian. It is the name under which millions have doesn’t of genocide, under which we have forged a common national identity in its current avatar and why it unites us as a concept more than Bharatvarsha.

and I am using another group in similar position as us - genocided through history and hated by outsiders- Jews- to underscore the point why to oppressed people, the label used by the oppressor matters and even overrides native terminology.

i want to be known as an Indian to foreigners and as a bharatiya to my bretheren: just like Jews prefer being Jews to foreigners and Yahudi to their bretheren