Dhoni: when will the torture end???

maniac

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Getting out on a full toss happens a lot more when you are attacking...but lunging or blocking it takes special skill :hysterical: 

Our finisher is blocking full tosses in the death overs against a team that had already been pummeled into submission.

Oh my :facepalm:

44 minutes ago, maniac said:

See if Dhoni is doing well with consolidating innings in back to the wall situations he should also be equally equipped to play the destructive innings he used to be able to in his prime...that's what a good lower middle order allrounder does.

Dhoni is doing well in consolidating but that's the only type of game he has left...you don't go into a match preparing for a collapse.....clearly his hand eye coordination is done and if we want to pummel opponents then we have to phase out  Dhoni but I do agree in collapse he usually provides calmness but you don't play with that mindset

Problem is you are expecting him to perform like a lower order 'hitter' - you are still evaluating him as a#6/7 bat, a role he was exceptional at in the past, but can't execute anymore.   You don't need all your 7 batsmen in an ODI lineup to be power hitters.  T20, of course is a different thing - he should be benched for those yesterday.   I think I posted this in a different thread - but we need to evaluate Dhoni by different expectations.   If you expect 30-ball 50s from him, you are bound to be disappointed.  If he can bat at 85+ SR, and with a good level of reliability - i.e. get out cheaply only rarely, then since he's also still a high-level wicket-keeper, he is still a value-add package to the XI, provided we have enough power-hitting at #6 and 7.  

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

the guy on the other end made 50(42), hit one less boundary n no six 

What start, dhoni didnt enter when it was 225/2 . he entered when it was 274/5

One more wkt and we were into the tail and forget 350 to then

Did any of the centurion batted till 45 overs or end or we have -5-7 wkts left 

How many gr8s have u seen batting the same way whole life, tendulkar s/r fluctuated a lot, ganguly dipped, sehwag n yuvi s/r went up runs went down 

Sheer lynch mobbing nothing else, if u got blame him be fair addd the other guy batting at same s/r on other end 

So the benchmark for dhoni is someone who isn't known as finisher. Someone who hasn't ever sealed his position in Indian. Someone who has just started getting chances. Someone who is not known for his big hitting. Cool. 

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Problem is you are expecting him to perform like a lower order 'hitter' - you are still evaluating him as a#6/7 bat, a role he was exceptional at in the past, but can't execute anymore.   You don't need all your 7 batsmen in an ODI lineup to be power hitters.  T20, of course is a different thing - he should be benched for those yesterday.   I think I posted this in a different thread - but we need to evaluate Dhoni by different expectations.   If you expect 30-ball 50s from him, you are bound to be disappointed.  If he can bat at 85+ SR, and with a good level of reliability - i.e. get out cheaply only rarely, then since he's also still a high-level wicket-keeper, he is still a value-add package to the XI, provided we have enough power-hitting at #6 and 7.  

We don't need an accumulator then. Rohit, kohli, Rahul and dhawan all can do that. Manish Pandey can also do that and he has a future unlike dhoni now.India has a vacancy for someone who can score quick and isn't a mindless slogger at the same time. If dhoni can't do that then he has no place. Better try new players who may or may not be good enough. Better investment.

9 minutes ago, Pollack said:

So the benchmark for dhoni is someone who isn't known as finisher. Someone who hasn't ever sealed his position in Indian. Someone who has just started getting chances. Someone who is not known for his big hitting. Cool. 

Im tired of repeating myself , no cricketer will ever perform same throughout his career. 

Im tired of repeating myself , that he isnt the same cricketer yet he is doing more then many 

Pandey was set , so no excuse n what finisher or middle order ....who knws he might get the role in lower middle order.  They both batted well acc to situation. Its easy to argue they cud have scored 10-15 more well for argument had they gotten out we wud have also had 50 less runs 

116 s/r is good not gr8. cud have been better but cud have been worst. But certainely not the biggest problem. Why poiint out one guy when somene on other did nothing diff 

How right is to single out one guy who is still perfoming better then many despite going through low acc to his standards 

15 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Im tired of repeating myself , no cricketer will ever perform same throughout his career. 

Im tired of repeating myself , that he isnt the same cricketer yet he is doing more then many 

Pandey was set , so no excuse n what finisher or middle order ....who knws he might get the role in lower middle order.  They both batted well acc to situation. Its easy to argue they cud have scored 10-15 more well for argument had they gotten out we wud have also had 50 less runs 

116 s/r is good not gr8. cud have been better but cud have been worst. But certainely not the biggest problem. Why poiint out one guy when somene on other did nothing diff 

How right is to single out one guy who is still perfoming better then many despite going through low acc to his standards 

On one hand you blame Rohit Sharma for starting slow as an "opener" many times over and over when the idea for him is to start slow and then when set try to make up and score big- now I am not saying this approach is good or bad just pointing out your criticism

on the other hand you defend less than a run a ball s/r of a lower middle order bat whose role is to be a big hitter....wow amazing double standards 

23 minutes ago, Pollack said:

We don't need an accumulator then. Rohit, kohli, Rahul and dhawan all can do that. Manish Pandey can also do that and he has a future unlike dhoni now.India has a vacancy for someone who can score quick and isn't a mindless slogger at the same time. If dhoni can't do that then he has no place. Better try new players who may or may not be good enough. Better investment.

Agree that Rohit, Kohli, Pandey can and should get preference in playing the accumulator role.  If Dhoni was just a batsman, there would be absolutely no argument on the issue.  But he's not.  He's still a quality international class ODI wicket-keeper.   That's what earns him the right to be in the mix.   We have found one power hitter to fill the 2 slots in #6 and 7 slots in Hardik.  We have a serviceable prospect in Kedar Jadhav.  There is no reason why we can't look ot add a power hitter to the Indian ODI team in Jadhav's place.   Push comes to shove, I'd still pick Dhoni ahead of Jadhav, who's no spring chicken himself, and a bit of a gaabdu in the field.  

As I posted above, its past the time when we start grooming and auditioning his replacement.  We need to do that by benching him in T20s, and playing the next keeper-bat alongside or in place of him, every chance we get.   I'm not even averse to playing Rishabh at #6, or as occasional opener in the ODI team, while Dhoni competes for the right to stay in the team.  

And regardless of any of this academic discussion - today's batting performance by Dhoni cannot be considered a 'failure' or "torture".  Just because restless fanbois got excited with the possibility of the Indian team finally scoring 400 in an ODI -as they should have today - and are blaming their disappointment all on Dhoni.   Sure, you'd want to see him score at a bit faster rate and have added 10-15 more runs, given the platform.  But you are forgetting that we did have a bit of a wobble when he walked in as well.   Could have easily ended up with 320 or fewer also.   At worst, he came through with a B+ batting performance today.  And you have OP chest-beating as if it was him as opposed to KL Rahul who laid an egg in a relatively easy situation.  

6 minutes ago, maniac said:

On one hand you blame Rohit Sharma for starting slow as an "opener" many times over and over when the idea for him is to start slow and then when set try to make up and score big- now I am not saying this approach is good or bad just pointing out your criticism

on the other hand you defend less than a run a ball s/r of a lower middle order bat whose role is to be a big hitter....wow amazing double standards 

M nt saying dhoni approach is gr8 and i m clearly using the word dip and not being same again n again

The point is both is causing some loss to the team at start n end and there is no denying in that 

But i have never said drop rohit, coz he aint the worst and at present i dnt see a better option similary dhoni aint the worst and no option has proven to be better till now 

I have issue with someone like yuvraj who clearly doesnt contribute in anyway . 

With every player ull find some issue leaving kohli aside, thats were i feel pointing out only dhoni is wrong 

and we have to understand playing after so many yrs there wud be some affect which has happened to most cricketers. The point is has he done so bad to deserve such lynch mob or to be Dropped. Noooooo

Yes S/r have dipped thats his problem, everyone has some problem

Come overseas half team will go missing 

Come pressure situation whole team will go missing

Come collapse, no one take charges, atleast this guys has tried and won some n lost some 

He clearly aint at his best....but certainely not the worst thing in the team to use words like torture or single out reason for team's debacle in a big tournament 

6 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

M nt saying dhoni approach is gr8 and i m clearly using the word dip and not being same again n again

The point is both is causing some loss to the team at start n end and there is no denying in that 

But i have never said drop rohit, coz he aint the worst and at present i dnt see a better option similary dhoni aint the worst and no option has proven to be better till now 

I have issue with someone like yuvraj who clearly doesnt contribute in anyway . 

With every player ull find some issue leaving kohli aside, thats were i feel pointing out only dhoni is wrong 

and we have to understand playing after so many yrs there wud be some affect which has happened to most cricketers. The point is has he done so bad to deserve such lynch mob or to be Dropped. Noooooo

Yes S/r have dipped thats his problem, everyone has some problem

Come overseas half team will go missing 

Come pressure situation whole team will go missing

Come collapse, no one take charges, atleast this guys has tried and won some n lost some 

He clearly aint at his best....but certainely not the worst thing in the team to use words like torture or single out reason for team's debacle in a big tournament 

Yuvraj doesnt contribute and yet his two innings ( one against england and the first CT match against Pakistani) is better than whatever Dhoni has done in the last few years.

p.s not advocating to bring back yuvi ;)

29 minutes ago, maniac said:

Because Dhoni offers things that Rohit Sharma doesnt. Dhoni's presence alone is enough to overcome everything else.

33 minutes ago, maniac said:

:laugh::laugh:

OP exposed.  With him, one way or another, its all about tailunt.  

Lower SR batsmen have to have higher reliability.   The yardstick in this aspect should be identical for Tailunt and Dhoni - The likes of Dhawan and Hardik Pandya

can be forgiven for getting out cheaply now and then, because they take more risks, and carry the team's momentum with their high SR batting.  Rohit is rightly the opener if fit and available, for his quality performances.  But he has a problem with inconsistency.  And He has the same problem as Dhoni with poor strike rotation and SR in the early part of his innings.  Both should be criticized, and rightly so, for this issue.  

Edited by sandeep