The ATP Tour 2018

Cricketics

Guys, so Chennai Open is history and bere is a new begining to our only Indian ATP event. The tournament will now be played in Pune starting January 1st.

The line up this year looks amazing

Check the names. US Open finalist along with the former US Open Champion Marin Cilic will be two of the top seeds.

Here is the list of all the overseas players who are coming. Along with Cilic and Anderson, we are going to also get Giles Simon, Bautista Agut and the giant Ivo Karlovic.

516BAB65-BC12-4C13-87E7-9513941C8079.png

This is a brilliant time for Indian tennis. Our youngsters Sumit Nagal, Yuki Bhambr are looking in fine touch. Sumit Nagal in oarticular just beat Yuki who is a top 100 player himself and beat Monfils recently. That along with another younngster Ramkumar make up a great trio of three top India mens tennis players who are all top 75 caliber. So this will be good tournament where lot of Indians might get a wildcard. 

1 hour ago, kumar713 said:

Disappointed that chennai open is no more :sad: 

Was planning to go this year actually :sad: 

I know it is disappointing for people over there, but we got to do what we got to do to improve and attract more people to ATP Indian tournaments. I hope this is astart of a big era. Lets hope. The line up isn’t bad at all.

Wawrinka always turned up in Chennai if my memory serves me correct, why doesn't he come to India these days :hitler:? Line up isn't that great as it was in Chennai in the past years (Cilic is no Nadal/Stan) but it is tough when you have Doha ($$$) and Brisbane (same country : AO) taking place at the same time. Hope the Indians do well. 

On 12/8/2017 at 12:24 AM, Gollum said:

Wawrinka always turned up in Chennai if my memory serves me correct, why doesn't he come to India these days :hitler:? Line up isn't that great as it was in Chennai in the past years (Cilic is no Nadal/Stan) but it is tough when you have Doha ($$$) and Brisbane (same country : AO) taking place at the same time. Hope the Indians do well. 

Stan is injured. Not sure he will play any tournaments before AO.

This lineup is not bad.

Edited by kumar713

On 12/7/2017 at 1:39 PM, Gollum said:

Yes, he skipped this time. Last year he skipped because of injury. 

However the list is still  good with Cilic coming and Anderson.

On 11/24/2017 at 8:37 PM, Cricketics said:

so Chennai Open is history

its the same tournament re-branded. There was a good run in Chennai..highlight must be getting Rafael nadal as top seen in 2008. And Somdev playing the final..good run off to bigger and better now..best of luck Maharashtra.

53 minutes ago, Vilander said:

its the same tournament re-branded. There was a good run in Chennai..highlight must be getting Rafael nadal as top seen in 2008. And Somdev playing the final..good run off to bigger and better now..best of luck Maharashtra.

Good thing is that the Chennai Open location will continue to have the challenger tournament. It hosted one this year few weeks after Maharashtra Open.

Challenger tournaments are really important and lot of Indian players can play and earn cheap important points and play against top 100 ATP level players.

We need more such Challengers in India.

On 3/13/2018 at 7:56 PM, Cricketics said:

Bhambri vs Querrey going on. After getting broken early and down 0-2, Bhambri broke back twice and is ahead 4-3 in the first set.

Watched the Bhambri match against Querrey on TV, he has to improve his serve to get some free points, otherwise every point for him is a battle. But I like his groundstrokes and movement. He always had a great backhand, but in the last two years his Forehand has become very strong.

We will be at the Miami open this weekend. Hope to see him there, most likely in the second round against Sock. I wish it was someone else, as this match most likely will be in the Stadium. If scheduled in any other courts or even in the Grandstand, we can have a closer look.

25 minutes ago, eternalhope said:

Watched the Bhambri match against Querrey on TV, he has to improve his serve to get some free points, otherwise every point for him is a battle. But I like his groundstrokes and movement. He always had a great backhand, but in the last two years his Forehand has become very strong.

We will be at the Miami open this weekend. Hope to see him there, most likely in the second round against Sock. I wish it was someone else, as this match most likely will be in the Stadium. If scheduled in any other courts or even in the Grandstand, we can have a closer look.

Bhambri beat Sock in juniors not once but numerous times,  just like he did beat Lucas Puille earlier in his career and whom he beat again in Indian wells last week, so I am sure playing against Sock will bring Bhambri some good old memory and confidence.

But Bhambri first has a tough first round against Mirza Basic whom he has lost to earlier.  Mirza Basic has had some good top 100 wins but then also lost some games to much lower ranked opponents. Basic is one of those guys who is unpredictable on his day. 

Also Bhambri was supposed to play Delbonis but Delbonis retired out of the tournament so Basic got the Lucky loser spot.

Bhambri I fee will beat Jack Sock if he can beat Basic. If he beats both Basic and Sock, he might meet last week Indian Wells Semi finalist - Borna Coric in the third round.

Exciting draw dor bBhambri

4 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Bhambri beat Sock in juniors not once but numerous times,  just like he did beat Lucas Puille earlier in his career and whom he beat again in Indian wells last week, so I am sure playing against Sock will bring Bhambri some good old memory and confidence.

But Bhambri first has a tough first round against Mirza Basic whom he has lost to earlier.  Mirza Basic has had some good top 100 wins but then also lost some games to much lower ranked opponents. Basic is one of those guys who is unpredictable on his day. 

Also Bhambri was supposed to play Delbonis but Delbonis retired out of the tournament so Basic got the Lucky loser spot.

Bhambri I fee will beat Jack Sock if he can beat Basic. If he beats both Basic and Sock, he might meet last week Indian Wells Semi finalist - Borna Coric in the third round.

Exciting draw dor bBhambri

I am not talking whether Bhambri will beat Sock or not. Actually I have a feeling with the terrible form Sock is in and how well Yuki is playing he has a very good chance. 

I was talking about where the match is going to staged, I am hoping for a non-stadium match as then we will be able to see the match from close. If in the stadium, with our tickets, we will be watching from a good 70 meters away. But with Sock being the marquee Home player, usually they give him the show courts.

Edited by eternalhope

6 minutes ago, eternalhope said:

I am not talking whether Bhambri will beat Sock or not. Actually I have a feeling with the terrible form Sock is in and how well Yuki is playing he has a very good chance. 

I was talking about where the match is going to staged, I am hoping for a non-stadium match as then we will be able to see the match from close. If in the stadium, with our tickets, we will be watching from a good 70 meters away. But with Sock being the marquee Home player, usually they give him the show courts.

I think Ladies in Miami get preference for the main stadium usually and with Federer, Djoker, Wawrinka all here, they will take up mostly other main stadium games. Querrey too might get preference more than Sock in the stadium since he did well last week and Del Potro, just my guess. So you will be able to watch up close the Sock vs Bhambri game on outer court hopefully.

Lets hope Bhambri wins first round tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I think Ladies in Miami get preference for the main stadium usually and with Federer, Djoker, Wawrinka all here, they will take up mostly other main stadium games. Querrey too might get preference more than Sock in the stadium since he did well last week and Del Potro, just my guess. So you will be able to watch up close the Sock vs Bhambri game on outer court hopefully.

Hope what you say happens. Praying for a Bhambri first round win.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:52 PM, Cricketics said:

Bhambri just won his first round. Played really good. Watched the match live.

49 minutes ago, eternalhope said:

Bhambri just won his first round. Played really good. Watched the match live.

Ya man, get ready. Bhambri goes into game against Jack Sock having won 3 games in 4  days. As long as he remains fit, he should beat Sock as Bhambri has more confidence right now than Sock.

I just hope he stays injury free.

Most likely the game will be day after tomorrow since in ATP 1000 tournament like this one, earlier rounds allow one day rest usually. Schedule for tomorrow will be updated soon. 

5 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Ya man, get ready. Bhambri goes into game against Jack Sock having won 3 games in 4  days. As long as he remains fit, he should beat Sock as Bhambri has more confidence right now than Sock.

I just hope he stays injury free.

Most likely the game will be day after tomorrow since in ATP 1000 tournament like this one, earlier rounds allow one day rest usually. Schedule for tomorrow will be updated soon. 

I will be there Friday and Saturday.  bhambri will be playing Saturday.