Steve Smith hands down is the best batsman in the world

maniac

1 hour ago, Turning_track said:

Getting into the national side primarily as a bowler to being one of the the best batsman in the world and finding his name among Sir Don, Hutton, Hobbs, Ponting . What a turnaround. :bow:

Leg spin was just a way to get into the Australian. His focus was always batting.  He just pretended to be a leg spinner, but his goal always was to play as a batsman. 

36 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

being better in t20s doesnt make one a better batsman atleast for me,kohli is quite elegant and am his big fan but he is nowhere near Smith at the moment

add to his test exploits,he has atleast two memorable world cup knocks already 

For me anyone who can do it in T20 consistently is a damn good batsman. T20 is the ultimate format for me.

27 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Average doesn't mean much to me too, but it is one factor that is used in comparison because it is hard for someone to know too much unless they have seen a lot of batting of both.  Smith batting displays a man who is sure of himself, what he needs to do to put his team in winning situation. Pujara takes up the same role for India in Asian Conditions. Without him, India would have lost a home series to a weak Australian Team. Without Smith, Australia would be losing home series as well.  Where as Kohli is a great batsman, but he doesn't give you feeling of security. He might show brilliance here and there, but on every normal day, you can't be sure that he has in him to get the team to a fighting total. 

Let me rephrase it smith and kohli are 1(a) and 1(b). Overall I would take Smith over Kohli but give me Kohli as aa player then I would not complaint either. I know I come across as someone who cannot make his mind up but that is the truth.

7 minutes ago, Khota said:

For me anyone who can do it in T20 consistently is a damn good batsman. T20 is the ultimate format for me.

ok but for me t20s is about impact rather than averages ,i may be in minority but i ll pick chris lynn in my side before kohli ,not taking anything away from kohli ,he is a wonderful t20 batsman but thats just my opinion its hard to define great batsman in t20s,may be a batsman who scores 30 in 10 balls more consistently is greater :thinking:

28 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

ok but for me t20s is about impact rather than averages ,i may be in minority but i ll pick chris lynn in my side before kohli ,not taking anything away from kohli ,he is a wonderful t20 batsman but thats just my opinion its hard to define great batsman in t20s,may be a batsman who scores 30 in 10 balls more consistently is greater :thinking:

To me T20 is about getting your timing right from ball one. No delivery to waste but a random batsman may have a good day here and there but a good batsman will have great days more frequently. You really have to be able to see the ball(if at all that is possible). Hallmark of a great batsman is the one who has the most time to hit the ball. In other words the game is really slow for him.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Kohli is better in two formats. Smith in one.

ODI debatable. Whilst Kohli specializes in average boosting in inconsequential matches Smith delivers in important matches. Kohli is a mental midget, Smith is not.

T20 definitely Kohli is GOAT, Smith is mediocre.

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

ODI debatable. Whilst Kohli specializes in average boosting in inconsequential matches Smith delivers in important matches. Kohli is a mental midget, Smith is not.

T20 definitely Kohli is GOAT, Smith is mediocre.

Smith did not have to play against his own bowling attack which is arguably the best in the world. England batted 145 overs and scored 330 runs, not because of great bowling but because the pitch was pathetic. They relaid that pitch later.

Edited by rkt.india
5 hours ago, adi B said:

Without  a doubt he's the best in test  but kohli 's avg of 50 (which is 10 behind Smith's 60) is due to him playing a bit more on tough pitches (more greentops and more rank turners) 

That theory was already debunked in Aus tour to India where Smith scored 3 centuries against top 2 spinners of world while Kohli struggled to put bat to ball.