Sachin Tendulkar vs Steve Smith - Comparative Analysis

jalebi_bhai

Who was the better overall batsman at similar stages in their careers (57 Tests and 103 ODIs)?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better overall batsman at similar stages in their careers (57 Tests and 103 ODIs)?

• Sachin Tendulkar
    • SPD Smith

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

How many ATG bowlers has Smith faced till now? No doubt he is the best atm but not in the class of Sachin and Lara of the 90s.

Steyn, Anderson, Ashwin (will be an ATG in tests by the time he is done), Herath (ATG in SC)....at a stretch maybe Harbhajan.

Why do you ask? It's not like Smith picks his opponents. 

2 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Steyn, Anderson, Ashwin (will be an ATG in tests by the time he is done), Herath (ATG in SC)....at a stretch maybe Harbhajan.

Why do you ask? It's not like Smith picks his opponents. 

Mcgrath, Warne, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Imran, Waqar, bottle caps, blades, Qadir, Hadlee, Donald, Pollock, Murali.....pretty sure I am forgetting a few more.

It matters otherwise you might well say Samaraweera>De Silva

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Mcgrath, Warne, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Imran, Waqar, bottle caps, blades, Qadir, Hadlee, Donald, Pollock, Murali.....pretty sure I am forgetting a few more.

It matters otherwise you might well say Samaraweera>De Silva

Smith averages 10 more runs/innings than Tendulkar after 57 tests. Factoring in the ATG factor, what would be the actual difference in your opinion?

37 minutes ago, Gollum said:

How many ATG bowlers has Smith faced till now? No doubt he is the best atm but not in the class of Sachin and Lara of the 90s.

Smith has faced the best of the best of his era. Its not like Smith is being brutally exposed by all these players and its not like all greats like Kallis, SRT, Dravid and Ponting scored runs against every bowler day in day out.

Smith for example has faced Ashwin and Jadeja who are best spinners currently and no team, yes no team since 2012 England series win in India has been able to handle these two spinners. Now they might not be as great as Mcgrath, Ambrose, Walsh etc in terms of name but they do provide true test of character for a batsman. 

So when a modern player score runs, his efforts shouldn’t be always ignored. It is always in bad taste to right off moder batsmen’s effort with “how many great bowlers he scorer against.”

SRT is legend but Smith is a champion who is on his way to breaking many records. 

14 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Smith averages 10 more runs/innings than Tendulkar after 57 tests. Factoring in the ATG factor, what would be the actual difference in your opinion?

I believe modern batsmen would struggle in the 80s and 90s. They would do better in 70s and thrive in 2000s, 60s, 50s etc. There is a reason why only 4 batsmen averaged above 50 in the 80s (Gavaskar, Viv, Miandad, Border) and only 3 in 1990s (Sachin, Lara, Steve Waugh). I can't predict how much Smith would average in those decades but I don't rate him higher than any of those 7 bar Miandad. He has too many technical shortcomings to thrive in that era, he would still do well but not that well.

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Cricketics I never downplayed Smith, I believe he is a champion. Just because I don't agree that he is better than Sachin, Lara, Viv, Gavaskar doesn't mean I am ridiculing him. I also rate Aravinda De Silva as better than Thialan Samaraweera, am I downplaying the latter? Just my opinion.

I don’t think I am going to compare and say he is better than Sachin since Smith hasn’t retired yet or is close to retiring

He is half way into his career and has a long way to go. But it is fair to say that he has done well and better at this point if compared to what SRT did uptill this point. That is whst OP stats are showing also. 

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

I don’t think I am going to compare and say he is better than Sachin since Smith hasn’t retired yet or is close to retiring

He is half way into his career and has a long way to go. But it is fair to say that he has done well and better at this point if compared to what SRT did uptill this point. That is whst OP stats are showing also. 

OK but then OP's argument should also apply to Ashwin and Jadeja. Both are better than Warne at this point of their careers. Root is better than Sir Viv Richards at this point of his career, Pujara better than Alan Border, Warner better than Haynes/Greenidge, Philander better A/R than Kapil Dev etc etc. 

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

OK but then OP's argument should also apply to Ashwin and Jadeja. Both are better than Warne at this point of their careers. Root is better than Sir Viv Richards at this point of his career, Pujara better than Alan Border, Warner better than Haynes/Greenidge, Philander better A/R than Kapil Dev etc etc. 

His thread is about a player who is considered god here and most liked player against someone who is currently having a crazy run with an average of 60 some. I don’t think there is anything wrong to have a discussion on this.

13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Bhai, let's stick to the thread topic. 

In the interest of fairness, how would you quantify SRT's average of 51.23 from 89-97 as per today's standards? 

Just now, jalebi_bhai said:

Bhai, let's stick to the thread topic. 

In the interest of fairness, how would you quantify SRT's average of 51.23 from 89-97 in tests? 

One of the greatest levels of batting ever seen, esp considering the fact that he was a 16 year old boy in 1989. His stats took a hit in the 1st 2-3 years but then shot up from 1991-92 onwards. I don't see any batsman from the current era having an average of 50 in that 7-8 year period, the defense seems to be missing among modern day batsmen.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

If sachin played starc and johnson at peak... He would have  been out of  the team 10 years early :giggle: and his legs would be shaking... lucky man played again Nambia and kenya and got few 100s :phehe: