What happened to tennis

Singh bling

Generation Useless happened, we'll have to wait for the late 90s/early 00s born kids to pick up...basically we are skipping a generation and moving straight to Generation Z. Just a lack of talent and mental toughness eluded a whole generation of tennis players. This allowed the Big 5 to reign supreme and even the weaker players of that age group (29-37 years old right now) are good enough to make deep runs these days (2 of them Isner and Anderson will contest a SF tomorrow) because they couldn't be dislodged by the next set of players. In any sport the youngsters push the veterans out and take their spots but I can find only 2 exceptions to this rule (among individual sports that I follow) ....tennis and chess. 

In fact ditto similar phenomenon in chess, in no other individual sport  (golf, F1, badminton, athletics, swimming etc) can I find a similar analogy. 

- Baby Bloomers (Karpov, Kasparov and a whole lot of mediocre players...luckily the 2 Ks were so legendary that there was no vacuum, both of them made up for the feeble competition)

- Generation X (Super strong era...Anand, Kramnik, Topalov, Ivanchuk, Kamsky, Gelfand, Leko, Svidler etc, Kasparov retired at the age of 40 as a result while Karpov became a non factor even before that)

- Early Millennials (weak era that allowed a 44 year old WC and an abominable 2012 World Championship in  Moscow between 2 players in their forties :facepalm:...Aronian, Grischuk, Mamedyarov, Jakovenko, Nakamura, Navara, Harikrishna etc, you can call this the Generation Useless of Chess)  

-Late Millennials/Generation Z (Super strong....Carlsen, Karjakin, Caruana, MVL, Giri, So, Nepomniachtchi, Ding, Wei etc)

As you can see Anand/Kramnik haven't been pushed out unlike Kasparov who btw was much greater, Anand at age 48 still won World Rapid C'ship last December, not only because he is an all time legend but also because of the competition. Rafa/Fed have shared the last 6 majors not only because they are indisputable ATGs but also because in spite of their decline they still are better than their so called successors. Sampras/Agassi didn't have this luxury. Fortunately for Big 5 no Carlsen type figure (or even Karjakin, Caruana equivalent) in tennis has emerged, the day that happens they will be forced to cede their ground. Zverev, Shapovalov, Khachanov, Medvedev, Chung, Coric, Rublev, Tsitsipas, Tiafoe etc have shown promise but yet to take a decisive leap forward, if things don't improve fast we will be set to see 2 Generation Useless' back to back meaning Fed/Nadal/Nole can win in their 40s if they manage their bodies/schedules judiciously. I pray that doesn't happen and some of these kids finally step up. As a Fed fan I would love to see him lift trophies at the age of 42 playing at 20% of his peak potential but that will be the death knell for ATP.  

Edited by Gollum

The way I see it if only one of Fed, Nadal, Djoker existed in this era then Fed will have close to 30 GS titles, Nadal and Djoker about 25-30.

Almost double of 14 which is Sampras's tally who was rated greatest of all time before these 3. 

So what we have witnessed in last 8-9 years is 3 greatest of all time players who are leagues above all the greatest players before them are playing together. An extremely rare phenomenon. 

Hence I don't blame the younger generation. They have to overcome the almost impossible to win in this era.

2 hours ago, Number said:

The way I see it if only one of Fed, Nadal, Djoker existed in this era then Fed will have close to 30 GS titles, Nadal and Djoker about 25-30.

Almost double of 14 which is Sampras's tally who was rated greatest of all time before these 3. 

So what we have witnessed in last 8-9 years is 3 greatest of all time players who are leagues above all the greatest players before them are playing together. An extremely rare phenomenon. 

Hence I don't blame the younger generation. They have to overcome the almost impossible to win in this era.

Even Isner and Anderson are beating youngsters

4 hours ago, Number said:

They are fast servers and will have advantage on grass courts of Wimbledon.

In overall rankings Cilic, Theim, Zverev etc. are better than them.

If you had seen early 90s tennis , then you know that at time 28 year old was considered as old..Boris Becker won Wimbledon at 17,18 and 21 after that he was unable to won anything.His las title came as surprise 26-27 year old Australian open.

No matter how fast you serve , at that time 30 year olds had no chance against youngsters

15 hours ago, Singh bling said:

If you had seen early 90s tennis , then you know that at time 28 year old was considered as old..Boris Becker won Wimbledon at 17,18 and 21 after that he was unable to won anything.His las title came as surprise 26-27 year old Australian open.

No matter how fast you serve , at that time 30 year olds had no chance against youngsters

Sports medicine, scientific nutrition, physiotherapy all have improved significantly since then. In all sports players have more longevity now compared to the old days. Also motivation is a factor. Sampras retired as a 31 year old thinking no one will beat his count, Fed raised the bar, Nadal and Nole are chasing him now and even Fed can't quit because the chase is on :p:....others like Anderson, Isner, Cilic, Potro feel if these oldies can do it in 30s why not them.....chain reaction. 

13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Sports medicine, scientific nutrition, physiotherapy all have improved significantly since then. In all sports players have more longevity now compared to the old days. Also motivation is a factor. Sampras retired as a 31 year old thinking no one will beat his count, Fed raised the bar, Nadal and Nole are chasing him now and even Fed can't quit because the chase is on :p:....others like Anderson, Isner, Cilic, Potro feel if these oldies can do it in 30s why not them.....chain reaction. 

So it improved only for tennis? Footballers , cricketers are retiring at almost same age as they used 20-30 years ago .Only tennis has changed.I think new talent is not interested in tennis, that's why poor quality of players are emerging

15 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

So it improved only for tennis? Footballers , cricketers are retiring at almost same age as they used 20-30 years ago .Only tennis has changed.I think new talent is not interested in tennis, that's why poor quality of players are emerging

I don't follow football that closely.

Most cricket players retire in late 30s or even early 40s (Misbah, YK) in spite of so much cricket these days. Earlier we had only 1-2 formats and far lesser playing days..now we have non stop cricket and players still have long careers. 

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

I don't follow football that closely.

Most cricket players retire in late 30s or even early 40s (Misbah, YK) in spite of so much cricket these days. Earlier we had only 1-2 formats and far lesser playing days..now we have non stop cricket and players still have long careers. 

Imran retired at 39 , Miandad played 6 world cups.Most test pacers still retire in early to mid 30s , Workload for them has not much increased as they t20 or test matches once they cross 30.

In this Fifa WC 19 year old Mbappe is emerging as new star while most stars failed to advance their teams.their retirement is on the cards after WC and most of them has yet to cross 35

As of this September, all the slam winners are 30 years of age at least. Youngest slam finalist is thiem(25). If the big 3 domination(or big4/5 if you believe in that) continues for the next few years. Then all of the Gen Useless will be 30 years and next gen mid 20s. Thats two generations that haven't stepped up.

- Better nutrition,lighter racquets allows for lesser injury, more longevity

- Courts slowing down has helped more consistent players and reduced chances for potential upsets.Faster courts usually favor people with better reflexes i.e. younger people

-The generation of Federer and to some some extent grew up watching all-courters ,thus their game is more varied and they have awareness of court and purpose in building points

-Most young players mimic the WTA game namely ball bashing,baseline play.There is no imagination in their game.

-One could also argue that the triumvirate of Federer,Nadal and Djokovic is a perfect storm.They are all freaks of the game.