Not getting picked for senior India team affects performance, says Shreyas Iyer

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/shreyas-iyer-says-not-getting-picked-for-senior-india-team-affects-his-performance-5306077/

It is really tough to be patient. When you perform consistently, get runs and then don’t get into the (senior) team, it runs into your mind. And, when you face quality bowling at top level, your performance keeps fluctuating. So, you need to keep yourself focused and, as I said, it affects you at times,” Iyer told reporters in Bengaluru.

After scoring runs heavily in domestic circuit, Iyer was picked for the national side to play shorter formats of the game. He last played for India in a one-dayer against South Africa in February this year. Last year, Iyer smashed 317 runs for India A against New Zealand A, including a highest score of 108. Three years ago, he had earned an IPL cap for Delhi Daredevils on the basis of good performance in domestic circuit. Two seasons later, he was asked to lead the side.

I really love the captaincy role. Whenever I get this role (captaincy), my character and attitude totally changes, and I see to it that I try and get the best out of myself as well as the team in pressure situations,” said Iyer who led India A to a 1-0 unofficial Test series win over South Africa A here.

Iyer enjoys people treating him with respect as a captain, but said one should not misuse the position.

17 minutes ago, zen said:

Why does he think he should be in the senior team? Scoring runs is ok but has he done enough to suggest he is better than some of the others?

I believe that the Ipl hype has got to him some where his recent trip for India A was not really outstanding.He has been part of Indian squad but has not been in the playing eleven.

20 minutes ago, beetle said:

That is why you have not been picked shreyas iyer.

Your performance gets affected by such things.

This is test match boy....test of character.

For the ODI’s he gets selected but in the recent series was not played.I believe that him getting the captaincy in the DD setup and India A is causing him to get carried away Ponting was singing his praises that he is the next big thing and captain so he is believing his own hype.