Why is SRK a global star?

Stradlater

1 hour ago, Stradlater said:

He can't act and has the same unchanging Kirsten Stewartesque expressions in every film neither he's good looking or charming in any other sorts.

What is it about him that makes women fawn over him so much? 

How has this guy managed to achieve so much success without having an ounce of talent in him?

Timing.

Can't act - that's what u think. He isn't James Stewart or Guru Dutt but he doesn't need to be so in mainstream hindi film industry. He is all right types in that department.

He's got really good looks (until smoking and aging took over) and presents really well, again not as well as AB but well enough. 

Make no mistake, people loved him from the beginning i.e. circus & fauji. He got his own slot in the industry in form of the yashraj romantic boy but can pull off other roles as well such as Swades & Raees. 

Although I mostly skip his romantic films, I feel he doesn't get enough credit for making his own way in an industry mostly run over by rampant nepotism. That and an enduring marriage despite the rumoured affairs are worthy ideals.

30 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Irrfan Khan is a global star,  Pork Chops  is also, and Anupam Kher or Naseeruddin Shah. SRK is known only to south asain diaspora. So he is not.

You would be surprised to know about Global popularity of SRK esp in middle East and north african muslim nations.

The people you mentioned mostly play second fiddle in the hollywood and hardly have a fan base.

SRK otoh is widely popular and perhaps one of the best known Indian stars in West. Nobody cares about Priyanka 'I love everything white' Chopra or Anupam Kher.

I don't know if he's not good looking.  If women are crazy about him, he must be good looking in one way or another?  The earlier cult like roles in the romantic movies likely gave him mass following.  People see these actors through their movie personas. Personality also trumps other aspects and itwould be another appeal, lot of co-actresses refer to his personality and helping attitude.

5 hours ago, Stradlater said:

He can't act and has the same unchanging Kirsten Stewartesque expressions in every film neither he's good looking or charming in any other sorts.

How has this guy managed to achieve so much success without having an ounce of talent in him?

also should ask the women for a better response :P

Not a Bollywood expert so just wagering a guess. May be he actively tried to connect with a global audience during his peak years. He may have held many world tours, meet ups, fan interaction sessions, open overseas shoots etc back then when other big Bollywood stars were content with making it big in India alone. Who can blame them? Afterall Bollywood has a huge following in India (and NRI diaspora), a huge Hindi speaking population with limited avenues of quality entertainment/sports outlets....stars didn't (and probably still don't) need to extend their presence overseas because of poor ROI. This is where SRK is different. If I could narrow down to 1 sentence it is probably a combination of SRK's PR team, his astute business awareness and ambition/vision (whatever you wanna call it). 

Now you see Aamir making it big in China, ofc 3 Idiots gave him a push but he is now consciously working towards leaving a mark in China. Also helps that China is more open to outsiders now, had peak Big B tried he wouldn't have been able to breakthrough there in the 70s/80s. BTW Raj Kapoor is very popular in Russia, Central Asia and Eastern Europe ....a product of his times when Eastern Bloc worked hard to shun Western media influence. I remember reading about a chess tournament in Tbilisi (Georgia) a few years back where in the opening ceremony hit songs of Raj Kapoor were being belted out. There was an Indian sports journalist (the legendary Vijay Kumar for those who followed DD Sports in the late 90s) on duty and everyone including Georgian politicians, businessmen, grandmasters, elderly, children came and talked to him about Raj Kapoor and the Kapoor family the whole time. I doubt any other Bollywood star will match that level of craze including SRK. 

Edited by Gollum

8 hours ago, Stradlater said:

because he has a laid-back confidence about him and a certain charm. 
Women rate that as a far more attractive quality than a self-concious beef-cake like Hrithik Roshan. 

Even most white ladies i know who watch bollywood, find him way more attractive than Sallu or Devgan types...

only one who gets more attention than him is Aamir Khan but he is so choosy with his movies that he has a much smaller profile amongst foreigners.

Edited by Muloghonto

3 hours ago, PBN said:

I don't know if he's not good looking.  If women are crazy about him, he must be good looking in one way or another?  The earlier cult like roles in the romantic movies likely gave him mass following.  People see these actors through their movie personas. Personality also trumps other aspects and itwould be another appeal, lot of co-actresses refer to his personality and helping attitude.

he is not a classic beauty, but he isn't ugly either. 

it always strikes me odd when guys say 'i cant tell if that guy is good looking or not coz i am not a woman/gay'....like seriously dude...you cant tell if Donald Trump is better looking or Jason Momoa ? 

Like yes, with average looking guys such as Toby McGuire or Shah Rukh, opinions will vary...but thats with also average looking chicks....some guys will think Kirsten Dunst is hot, some will say 'meh she is okay'....but at extreme ends of spectrum, eveyone can tell if someone is super hot (eg: Jason Momoa/Scarlett Johansson) or super ugly ( Om Puri/Lata Mangeshkar)...

22 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

it always strikes me odd when guys say 'i cant tell if that guy is good looking or not coz i am not a woman/gay'....like seriously dude...you cant tell if Donald Trump is better looking or Jason Momoa ? 

Like yes, with average looking guys such as Toby McGuire or Shah Rukh, opinions will vary...but thats with also average looking chicks....some guys will think Kirsten Dunst is hot, some will say 'meh she is okay'....but at extreme ends of spectrum, eveyone can tell if someone is super hot (eg: Jason Momoa/Scarlett Johansson) or super ugly ( Om Puri/Lata Mangeshkar)...

maybe odd for you but I seriously can't tell the difference if guys are good looking or not :dontknow:

32 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

You have mentioned Jason Momoa twice.

Going through a midlife crisis?