Indian classical music

Straight Drive

Any fans of Indian classical music over here?

Have listened to Sitar compositions of Pandi Ravi Shankar as well as Anoushka Shankar. Pandit Ravi Shankar was more orthodox but there are blends in the music of Anoushka Shankar.  Some of their concert videos are available on You Tube when both of them toured around the globe to perform. Lasya by Anoushka is also one of the best i have listened to in classical. 

Ustad Zakir Hussain is one of the top Tabla artist.

Pandit Rakesh Chaurasia in flute music. 

I am always a fan of Hindustani music compared to Carnatic music. I know he's not Indian but Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is one of my favs.Such a wide vocal range with ability to hit high notes for a long amount of time. His compositions are masterpieces. Truly one of the greatest singers in history of music.

I also like Jagjit Singh, Mehdy Hassan, Ghulam Ali Khan's work.

Edited by I6MTW

Yes, big fan. I grew up listening karnatak classical, but I listen to both hindustani and katnatak. I tried learning hindustani for a couple of years. and gave up. 

Favorites in karnatak - Dr. Balmuralikrishna, Yesudas, MSS, 

Hindustani - Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Pt. Ravishankar, Hariprasad Chaurasi, 

AIR India online is v good in getting little known artists, and giving them a platform. There are so many young talented artists now.

On 9/13/2018 at 4:04 PM, Tibarn said:

I used to have a large collection on my old laptop before it got the BSOD and got bricked. All those gigabytes of real music gone :((

I love Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and his strings!

Have listened to his music but not much. Very easy on ears like like most of classical music. Like the Shankars, this family too made India proud due to their skills in classical music.Hope hsi son will continue the legacy and give us lot more melodies. Winner of Grammy Awards too just like Pt. Ravi Shankar.

Pt. Shankar also had a lot of influence on the Beatles. So much that Beatles George Harrison (Guitarist) was taking lessons from him and was in awe of his music. They even introduced some of his music into their albums iirc. 

Edited by Straight Drive

On 9/13/2018 at 6:22 PM, coffee_rules said:

Yes, big fan. I grew up listening karnatak classical, but I listen to both hindustani and katnatak. I tried learning hindustani for a couple of years. and gave up. 

Favorites in karnatak - Dr. Balmuralikrishna, Yesudas, MSS, 

Hindustani - Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Pt. Ravishankar, Hariprasad Chaurasi, 

AIR India online is v good in getting little known artists, and giving them a platform. There are so many young talented artists now.

Used to listen on the radio in the 80's, especially the instrumental music which was played between the test match breaks. 1000 times better than the advertisements that we get to see in TV between breaks. :giggle:

Then lot of this stuff also used to be played before the news on radio as well as at night. 

Grew up steeped in Carnatic music.  Only Hindustani musicians I listened to were Shiv Kumar Sharma and Amjad Ali Khan, and Kumar Gandharva for vocal.  Loved Bhimsen Joshi's Hindustani-style devotional.

All-time favorite Carnatic singer:  Madurai Mani Iyer.  Dude did not pronounce any of the words, but had magical speed-singing ability.  Unlike most Carnatic singers who droned on with 2-hr alapanais, MMI was a maverick entertainer.  Fast paced and energetic.

Another speedster:  Kunnakkudi Vaidyanathan - absolute genius violinist.  Another total maverick who did all kinds of tricks with the violin - probably just to pi$$ off the purists.  

On 11/21/2018 at 12:30 PM, velu said:

@coffee_rules   when i was a kid my mom annoy us ( + my bro )  by playing all the classical songs from this movie .. 

most probably you will like it  :phehe: 

and my reaction whenever i hear these songs :sleep:

Sorry, not a fan of the acting school of SG ....I hated nadaswara's tonal quality, shehnai is more soothing.   Also, since you guys were going :sleep:, your Mom might be playing it more often, to put you to sleep! :phehe:

Gosh, those pakka vaadya players are made to look so much as caricatures, awful. :whack:@velu for recommeding this crap.

Edited by coffee_rules