Sign in to follow this  
zen

Top 5 Hitchcock

Rewatched Torn Curtain (1966) after a long time. I had remembered liking it. Hitchcock produced some of his best continuous work from 1958 (Vertigo) to 1963 (The Birds). Post Birds, Hitchcock's work received mixed reviews. However, among Hitchcock's last 4-5 films, Torn Curtain is probably his best.

There were some issues during the production of the film with Bernard Herrmann leaving the film. Paul Newman suggested few changes to the script which were not taken into account by Hitchcock.  The film released in mid 1960s feels more like a 40s to mid 50s film but in 2020 it is to be watched as a classic anyways. This is also the last Hitchcock film with A list stars like Paul Newman and Julie Andrews. A big chunk of the film's budget went into the salaries of these two stars. The film was a hit at the box office (probably Hitchcock's last noticeable hit).  

I like films from 40s-50s so this one with that kind of spirit is a good watch. Newman and Andrew's performances are good. The plot is also typical Hitchcock - an ordinary man turned a spy. I think this is an underrated gem among Hitchcock's films! 

Edited by zen