Current Indian side vs this Indian side from the 00s in a 5 match test series?

The 2017 Aus 2-1 win came when our team was tired and drained as hell after a long home season and one of our spinners injured.  Kuldeep played only 1 test in that test. Opposition had spent a month in Dubai preparing to play spin and they tackled us well. Plus O Keefe happened.

The stuff this team did in Bangalore 2017 was crazy amazing. It was a win powered through SHEER WILL POWER where even Rahane fought tooth and nail against great spin bowling on a tough pitch.

Of course that was NOTHING compared to Kolkata 2001 heroics (nothing ever will be) but this team will never get to a situation where its 8 down against Aus at home and it needs a VVS heroics to save them.

If THAT bunch of Aussie bowlers can get us 8 down in India and almost win the test, imagine what our 5 bowler attack could do to them on a good day.

Edited by sensible-indian

Man to Man if u see

Will consider in good form 

• GG vs Vijay (both were very good at their peeks at home specially)
  • Sehwag vs Rahul (sehwag at this point)
  • Dravid vs Puj (not much to choose)
  • Kohli vs Sachin (not much to choose)
  • Laxman vs rahane (at home laxman wins hands down)
  • Dhoni vs Pant (pant is to young in his career as of now, dhoni was mature due the age)
  • Kumble vs Ashwin (kumble as a bowler was a lil better but ashwin cover with his batting)
  • Bhajji vs Jadeja ( hmmm...not much to choose jadeja is very underrrated at home )
  • Zak vs Shami ( not much to choose)
  • Ishant vs Umesh ( umesh has advantage due to reverse swing )
  • Ganguly vs kuldeep/rohit/pandya ( ganguly wasnt to gr8 in test , became better only after hie comeback)

I have not considered bumrah as he is yet to play at home , he ll be lethal for sure and will give present side a huge edge

Fitness n ground fielding gives current side an edge

Catching the old side

Part time bowling old side and they have sehwag n sachin and even ganguly

Tactically that side had more sound brains

Approach - i like this sides approach more as they are aggressive and more focussed on winning 

Not a few times just one in 2004, series wins that is. It was brought forth because that snake Manohar conspired against the home side to dish us a green top at Nagpur, we also never fielded a full strength team that series. Did I mention their bowling lineup? There's no one comparable to that from Aus right now, Lyon's inflated record against this lineup notwithstanding.

Pak is a different beast altogether, that team also had their 3 best test bats & an in form Afridi. Playing Pak is like SA vs Aus, very little difference due to conditions or in fact the state of the teams.

England 2006, we dropped 12 catches - yes at least 12 in that game & batted last on the worst pitch in India for 4th innings. This team wouldn't last 50 overs on that track.

SA also had a rampaging Steyn & their best batting lineups ever, but we'll ignore that.

The people hyping this team somehow easily forget the teams we played back then were ranked way above us, what's our ranking now?

Edited by R!TTER
1 hour ago, Dil Dil India said:

1) Gambhir

2) Sehwag

3) Dravid

4) Tendulkar

5) Ganguly

6) Laxman

7) Dhoni

8) Harbhajan

9) Kumble

10)Zaheer

11)Ishant (it was him or Sreesanth/RP Singh or someone; no choice)

5 match series, all in India.

Also M not sure if We can have gambhir ganguly in same side 

By the time gambhir was permanent in test side ganguly was in his last 1-2 yrs of retirement 

It shud be either aakash chopra/sanjay bangar/ jaffer 

25 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

but that team was also beated at home few times

Aus beated them in 2004

Pak drew a test from nowere in mohali n then beat us in banglore.....that series was 1-1

Eng beat us in 2006 i think in wakhade , 2001....they did well to drew last 2 test 

SA also gave a thrashing in one of test i think almost all the series they played us at home 

NZ use to draw against us at home 

This team is pretty much whitewashing opp and if not that .....we are winning most test in the series

How many series did we lose? From memory, just the one to an ATG side where we didn't have SRT in the first 2 tests and rushed him back in the last 2 tests. 

What SA series? We lost one series to them in 00 pre Ganguly IIRC? We lost a test by an innings in 2010-2011 vs a rampaging Steyn and won the next by a similar margin to make it 1-1. We were incredible at home; we just faced stronger teams. As for Pakistan, I remember that Bangalore test - we lost 9 wickets in the last session IIRC to lose it stupidly. Still, that was a very strong Pak line-up. Current Pak side has aam bechnay wala Sarfaraz as kaptaan.

If we talk about away series - we also drew in RSA 1-1, Aus 1-2 in 08 and 1-1 in 03-04, won in Pak in 04 and in NZ in 09. West Indies in 06 and England in 07; that was a very strong Indian side for those 5-6 years.

Edited by Dil Dil India
5 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

How many series did we lose? From memory, just the one to an ATG side where we didn't have SRT in the first 2 tests and rushed him back in the last 2 tests. 

What SA series? We lost one series to them in 00 pre Ganguly IIRC? We lost a test by an innings in 2010-2011 vs a rampaging Steyn and won the next by a similar margin to make it 1-1. We were incredible at home; we just faced stronger teams. As for Pakistan, I remember that Bangalore test - we lost 9 wickets in the last session IIRC to lose it stupidly. Still, that was a very strong Pak line-up. Current Pak side has aam bechnay wala Sarfaraz as kaptaan.

If we talk about away series - we also drew in RSA 1-1, Aus 1-2 in 08 and 1-1 in 03-04, won in Pak in 04 and in NZ in 09. West Indies in 06 and England in 07; that was a very strong Indian side for those 5-6 years.

I knw we only lost one series against Aus in 2004 

I talking 1 of test matches in the series , this team is hardly even loosing that . Apart from that pune test against Aus.....this team is not loosing even that one test in the series 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
3 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I knw we only lost one series against Aus in 2004 

I talking 1 of test matches in the series , this team is hardly even loosing that . Apart from that pune test against Aus.....this team is not loosing even that one test in the series 

I agree but that's what I said - if we mean statistical dominance then sure this team is better; but what happens when accounting for opposition strength? Will the current team beat that Aus side of 04? Will they be able to handle Murali, Warne, Saqlain when they couldn't handle Moeen Ali? Interest discussion.

13 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Also M not sure if We can have gambhir ganguly in same side 

By the time gambhir was permanent in test side ganguly was in his last 1-2 yrs of retirement 

It shud be either aakash chopra/sanjay bangar/ jaffer 

Well, you're right that Ganguly and Gambhir didn't play much together, but I was looking at it more as a team of 00s vs the current side and not necessarily one where all of the players played a lot together. If we split hairs that far then even Dhoni may be arguable for some people because he really came into his own post Ganguly.

1 minute ago, Dil Dil India said:

Will the current team beat that Aus side of 04?

We can .....

i always beileved if u get under the skin of that team .....u can push them and their fitness level did get them on advantage in crucial situation which this team has to

So in sports never say never, this team has the attack to take 20 wkts and batsman with more shot range ...and the best counter to that team was attack 

1 minute ago, Dil Dil India said:

Will they be able to handle Murali, Warne, Saqlain when they couldn't handle Moeen Ali? Interest discussion.

M not sure Murali wasnt that effective in India  test

Moeen ali failed in series when england visited us 

Here the discussion is test played in India only 

My question will opp be able to handle shami+bumrah+ umesh reverse swing in Indian condition at that pace + ashwin n jadeja......this attack will trouble any team of any era

2 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Well, you're right that Ganguly and Gambhir didn't play much together, but I was looking at it more as a team of 00s vs the current side and not necessarily one where all of the players played a lot together. If we split hairs that far then even Dhoni may be arguable for some people because he really came into his own post Ganguly.

dhoni still came in 2005

It shudnt be about ganguly's but more about the team that played 7-8 yrs together which even had dravid n kumble as captain 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

We can .....

i always beileved if u get under the skin of that team .....u can push them and their fitness level did get them on advantage in crucial situation which this team has to

So in sports never say never, this team has the attack to take 20 wkts and batsman with more shot range ...and the best counter to that team was attack 

M not sure Murali wasnt that effective in India  test

Moeen ali failed in series when england visited us 

Here the discussion is test played in India only 

My question will opp be able to handle shami+bumrah+ umesh reverse swing in Indian condition at that pace + ashwin n jadeja......this attack will trouble any team of any era

Oh I agree we are a very strong side at home - we've always been. No questions. I just don't see the current side beating the Aus side of 04. Murali wasn't effective in India because he was up against Sehwag, Tendulkar and Laxman; imagine him vs Vijay, Rahul and Rahane. Even Kohli struggles against top quality spin bowling and doesn't use his feet that much; Pujara is slightly better in that regard but when he gets lbw/bowled too often for my liking.

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

dhoni still came in 2005

It shudnt be about ganguly's but more about the team that played 7-8 yrs together which even had dravid n kumble as captain 

Sure it isn't just Ganguly's India but what I am saying is Dhoni only really flourished as a player once Ganguly was not even in the side. In other words, prime Dhoni and Ganguly never really played together. In the last test match Ganguly played - funnily enough - I think Vijay was one of the openers lol.

People tend to forget that even the fab 4 had their moments of infamy vs mediocre spinners. Jason Krejza, Ajantha Mendis, Shaun Udal, Michael Clarke all produced ridiculous spells of bowling in subcon conditions against them. 

I'd say that it would be a 2-2 drawn series. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses.

5 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Oh I agree we are a very strong side at home - we've always been. No questions. I just don't see the current side beating the Aus side of 04. Murali wasn't effective in India because he was up against Sehwag, Tendulkar and Laxman; imagine him vs Vijay, Rahul and Rahane. Even Kohli struggles against top quality spin bowling and doesn't use his feet that much; Pujara is slightly better in that regard but when he gets lbw/bowled too often for my liking.

Vijay n rahul are good players of spin bowling, we are saying now when they have been struggling for form and murali did trouble those guys to so at the end of the day he is a topclass bowler and will get out on some days for sure 

Pujara is as good as anyone against the spin 

Kohli still makes runs

The only bowler who i feel will trouble our current lot wud be mcgrath big time, but he also troubled the last lot

6 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Sure it isn't just Ganguly's India but what I am saying is Dhoni only really flourished as a player once Ganguly was not even in the side. In other words, prime Dhoni and Ganguly never really played together. In the last test match Ganguly played - funnily enough - I think Vijay was one of the openers lol.

Actually when ganguly came back after axing of chappell i feel he batted his best for those few yrs and dhoni was their 

Yea i think vijay was opener coz gautam got banned due to his shoulder incidence with watson

On real turners, normal tracks we used to slaughter them for fun & if you're counting spinners why not pacers? What's the record of the current lineup against pacers? What would they do against Mcgrath, Steyn, Asif, Bond? Dare I say we wouldn't win a single test away!

Edited by R!TTER
4 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

People tend to forget that even the fab 4 had their moments of infamy vs mediocre spinners. Jason Krejza, Ajantha Mendis, Shaun Udal, Michael Clarke all produced ridiculous spells of bowling in subcon conditions against them. 

I'd say that it would be a 2-2 drawn series. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses.

yea it wud be very very competitive series. 

the fun part wud be kohli wnt be able to sledge anyone .....might have a go at dada, bhajji  which i wud pay to see  

2 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

On real turners, normal tracks we used to slaughter them for fun & if you're counting spinners why not pacers? What's the record of the current lineup against pacers? What would they do against Mcgrath, Steyn, Asif, Bond? Dare I say we wouldn't win a single test away!

Kohli made runs against steyn in 2013 and so did pujara n rahane 

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yea it wud be very very competitive series. 

the fun part wud be kohli wnt be able to sledge anyone .....might have a go at dada, bhajji  which i wud pay to see  

Will he play with or against Gambhir? Those two will go after each other for sure :giggle: