Woh pyaari yadein : India tour of West Indies - 1971

I have heard somewhere that Gavaskar would not take pictures,  go to clubs due to cigarette smoke or read books( only form of recreation in those days) which he loved doing a month before the test matches to ensure his eyes have enough rest :hatsoff:

Only Kohli comes close to that dedication

and sacrifice.

The rest were hardworkers too but these guys took it to a different extreme.

18 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Wonderful read @Straight Drive uncle :p:

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, maniac said:

I have heard somewhere that Gavaskar would not take pictures,  go to clubs due to cigarette smoke or read books( only form of recreation in those days) which he loved doing a month before the test matches to ensure his eyes have enough rest :hatsoff:

and sacrifice.

Sunny was temperamentally very strong and had immense patience. Only Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Pujara seem to show that much patience. Quality wise Sachin and Dravid could be compared to Sunny.

In his days the second best bat was Vishy. As tall as Sunny was but Vishy's wrist work was much superior. Sunny on the other hand was a level above on comparison on all aspects.

12 minutes ago, zen said:

Gavaskar is the #1 test batsman for Ind! 

For someone who played quite a few years without grilled helmets and skull caps, he distinguishes himself over lot. Sachin and Dravid are comparable to him. Kohli isn't yet comparable technically to Sunny.

46 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Damn how old are you :ohmy:

My mum wasn't even born then.

Anyway excellent write up. Enjoyed reading it. Keep posting.

Thank you. Glad that you liked reading it.

Would try to follow this with our first overseas test series win in England against England -  it was the immediate tour to this one (a win). The other ones would be 1976 tour to WI (the one India lost under Bedi :((), the 1982 against WI in WI (another lost series under Kapil's captaincy :(( but this is what i want to cover as it is the best pace attack i have ever seen ), the 1989 against WI in WI  (loss under Vengsarkar'scaptaincy).  Also the best spin quartet in history of the game.  Something covering Pakistan and England as well that would mean i have covered one series each of 4 Worlds ATG all-rounders (Sobers, Kapil, Imran and Botham).

I will leave anything after that era to others because there are many over here who can easily cover the remaining as they must have surely seen it.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:26 PM, Straight Drive said:

Thank you. Glad that you liked reading it.

Would try to follow this with our first overseas test series win in England against England -  it was the immediate tour to this one (a win). The other ones would be 1976 tour to WI (the one India lost under Bedi :((), the 1982 against WI in WI (another lost series under Kapil's captaincy :(( but this is what i want to cover as it is the best pace attack i have ever seen ), the 1989 against WI in WI  (loss under Vengsarkar'scaptaincy).  Also the best spin quartet in history of the game.  Something covering Pakistan and England as well that would mean i have covered one series each of 4 Worlds ATG all-rounders (Sobers, Kapil, Imran and Botham).

I will leave anything after that era to others because there are many over here who can easily cover the remaining as they must have surely seen it.

Looking forward to your post about the England series in 1972. There should probably be an excerpt about Chandrasekhar in that one.

Gavaskar has had a bit of bad press lately. I feel some of it is unjust. The point he made about Ganguly's team not being the first to win tests abroad is quite valid. We must develop the capacity to revere all our greats without bickering about who was greater.

Some of the recent developments which have been unkind to a man of Gavaskar's stature are as follows

• Social media having a go at him for rightly pointing out India's away success in the early 70s and mid 80s
  • His commentary while sometimes articulate are bland and frivolous at other times. While this may be true, the sanctity of his image as a player should be kept separate and intact. Sometimes our forum members while dissing Manjrekar somehow add Gavaskar along with him.
  • Shakib's misbehavior and threat to walk out during the Nidahas trophy were being compared to what Gavaskar did when wrongly given out LBW vs Lillee. Is this going to happen each time a player decides to misbehave? I also read some posts(mostly from Bangladeshi posters) in social media arguing that Shakib has a status similar(if not better) to Gavaskar in cricketing terms. This is entirely delusional.

We must have a thread listing all his great performances with added perspectives from the elders in our forum who were around in those days. Legends need to be celebrated.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, zen said:

What a performance by Gavaskar on debut :hatsoff:

His and Pujara’s 500+ runs in Aus are probably among the two best overseas performances in tests in a winning series 

Gavaskar is the original "Little Master." The rest that came after him are knock-offs. :giggle:. His peak was in the late 70s. Too bad, the WI and Aus teams he faced were B-teams. However prior to that in 1975-76 he did perform well in WI against Roberts-Holding.

Edited by Audiophile
On 2/11/2019 at 10:19 AM, maniac said:

and sacrifice.

Yeh thoda jyada ho gaya. Do not forget 36*(174).

5 hours ago, MechEng said:

Yeh thoda jyada ho gaya. Do not forget 36*(174).

What does innings that have to do with his personal dedication ? Kohli has made some brain dead decisions too but doesn’t mean his work ethic is any less.

These days people have guys analyzing a thousand things for betterment of a player but giving up  things like social interaction in bars and pubs in overseas trips away from family ( I am not talking just about the booze but just hanging out)  because of the cigarette smoke or not reading books in days of no cell phones and internet may not seem much now but it does take a lot of dedication if you put it in context . His colleagues have said they were in awe of how seriously he took his craft.  Remember eye sight was super important to play fast bowling in days of no helmet and other safety gear. No wonder batsmen get hit so often these days as they spend so much time on phones and computers that their eye sight must suck.

No one disputes Gavaskar’s legacy as a batsman for that era. He is one of the greatest of all time for a reason

Edited by maniac