Hinduphobia In Secular India

SecondSlip

Why are people at IITs an authority on religion and the history of religion? Please talk about super conductors or fixing table fans or whatever it is that engineering teaches you.

I know this is tangential to the topic here, but IIT has to be the most over hyped scam out there.

GoI gives them a massive subsidy on their education and only a handful of them are involved in any direct 'nation building' job.

Hell, very few are employed in an engineering job too. Most end up going to the US for Masters or do an MBA in India.

GoI has no business subsidising IIT education. And its a lot of subsidy. Each state has an IIT now. Rather use that money to improve the quality of primary education in government run schools.

Without the loss of generalisation, most IITians I've come across are socially awkward full of themselves jerks. With a huge chip on their collective shoulders simply because they cleared some exam after 5 years of prep starting from 8th grade.

Edited by Mariyam

12 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why are people at IITs an authority on religion and the history of religion? Please talk about super conductors or fixing table fans or whatever it is that engineering teaches you.

I know this is tangential to the topic here, but IIT has to be the most over hyped scam out there.

GoI gives them a massive subsidy on their education and only a handful of them are involved in any direct 'nation building' job.

Hell, very few are employed in an engineering job too. Most end up going to the US for Masters or do an MBA in India.

GoI has no business subsidising IIT education. And its a lot of subsidy. Each state has an IIT now. Rather use that money to improve the quality of primary education in government run schools.

Without the loss of generalisation, most IITians I've come across are socially awkward full of themselves jerks. With a huge chip on their collective shoulders simply because they cleared some exam after 5 years of prep starting from 8th grade.

Really ? I have interacted with plenty and found most of them to be fairly easy going. Sure they are extremely confident but no where close to the jerks from IIMs. 

A comment by Himanshu:

I don't speak for her here, my interpretation here is my own, but at least it's obvious to me that she doesn't mean that literally. She probably meant that the idea of Hinduism, of people for eg. rallying in masses in the name of being a Hindu, etc. was invented in 20th century. Like, there were no discussions about Hindu vs. Muslim, or mob lynchings, etc. in 8th century right? Probably because there WASN'T any other religion (known to people in majority) at all. It's only recently that when people really became conscious of other religions that their own identity as a Hindu made sense and the concept of 'Hindu' was created. (if everyone you ever knew was Hindu and nobody told you that there are other religions people could be, then the word 'Hindu' and 'religion' would be meaningless). Now i don't agree with her view, and someone who agrees might still disagree on the exact century or the exact way that this occurred, but i can at least understand that this is what she might have meant. Think about it like this. Haven't you ever been misunderstood by someone else? Imagine if you were a 10+ years scholar who has read dozens of books on a topic and even wrote a few, and you expressed a view and I started to harass you for that, and instead of trying to understand you, I just dismissed you as stupider than a 10 year old child who knows that what you said wasn't 'literally' true. Would that be fair to you? How would you feel to be misunderstood by thousands of people you only ever worked to help?

=====

I may be wrong, but personally I don't see any significant Hindu movement till 20th Century, where they tried to end the caste system and tried to give Dalits equal rights as upper caste Hindus. 

There were hundreds of Rajas and Hindu states before 20th Century, but almost no respect for Dalits in all of them. 

This concept of "majority" is linked to Western type democracy. 

Thus first attempts were made by high caste Hindus, to bring respect to Dalits was primarily only in the 20th century when they wanted Dalit numbers to have absolute majority in democracy form of government. 

10 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

I may be wrong, but personally I don't see any significant Hindu movement till 20th Century, where they tried to end the caste system and tried to give Dalits equal rights as upper caste Hindus. 

There were hundreds of Rajas and Hindu states before 20th Century, but almost no respect for Dalits in all of them. 

Thus first attempts were made by high caste Hindus, to bring respect to Dalits was primarily only in the 20th century when they wanted Dalit numbers to have absolute majority in democracy form of government. 

What are you trying to achieve or what exactly is it that you want to hear ?

48 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

A comment by Himanshu:

I don't speak for her here, my interpretation here is my own, but at least it's obvious to me that she doesn't mean that literally. She probably meant that the idea of Hinduism, of people for eg. rallying in masses in the name of being a Hindu, etc. was invented in 20th century. Like, there were no discussions about Hindu vs. Muslim, or mob lynchings, etc. in 8th century right? Probably because there WASN'T any other religion (known to people in majority) at all. It's only recently that when people really became conscious of other religions that their own identity as a Hindu made sense and the concept of 'Hindu' was created. (if everyone you ever knew was Hindu and nobody told you that there are other religions people could be, then the word 'Hindu' and 'religion' would be meaningless). Now i don't agree with her view, and someone who agrees might still disagree on the exact century or the exact way that this occurred, but i can at least understand that this is what she might have meant. Think about it like this. Haven't you ever been misunderstood by someone else? Imagine if you were a 10+ years scholar who has read dozens of books on a topic and even wrote a few, and you expressed a view and I started to harass you for that, and instead of trying to understand you, I just dismissed you as stupider than a 10 year old child who knows that what you said wasn't 'literally' true. Would that be fair to you? How would you feel to be misunderstood by thousands of people you only ever worked to help?

=====

Aadi guru shankaracharya United Hindus under one banner way before 20th century, bhakti movement was way before 20th century, the pioneers of bhakti movement like Tulsidas, meerabai, kabir, were way before 20th century so yes u are wrong, infact very wrong. 

3 hours ago, vayuu1 said:

Aadi guru shankaracharya United Hindus under one banner way before 20th century, bhakti movement was way before 20th century, the pioneers of bhakti movement like Tulsidas, meerabai, kabir, were way before 20th century so yes u are wrong, infact very wrong. 

If Adi Shankarachariya really asked people to respect Dalits and Shudars, even then still I don't see that struggle of Aadi Shankaracharya (of 8th century) played any influence on the behavior of Hindu Kings during last 1000 years. Even today still Dalits are considered untouchables. 

Edited by Alam_dar