2019 French Open

I6MTW

Starts Sunday. 

Nadal is favourite as always. Any doubts regarding his clay chances this season were erased the moment I saw his draw. Seriously how may easy draws can a playwr get? When was the last time Nadal had a difficult draw? All qualifiers in his quarter, the toughest players are Goffin and Nishikori, that's saying alot. They should just hand the title to Nadal. All the other contenders will tire themselves out in Novak's half and face a fresh and confident Rafa in the final.

2 hours ago, Pratik77 said:

He most of the times gets those cupcakes Draws...some of his us open titles included..

This is so reminiscent of the 2017 US open draw. At least in Hard courts u might find players on their day who can play Nadal close, take a set, maybe upset him. But since this is clay, this is even worse. Hs might still win even if all the contenders are on his side but at least it will be competitive. Here it will just be Nadal not dropping a set at all, serving bakery products along the way till the final. Only formidable opponent is Schwartzman who has no weapons to trouble Nadal, might take a set at best. Federer is way past it on clay, Tsitsipas will not even take a set at Phillipe Chatrier.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:11 PM, I6MTW said:

This is so reminiscent of the 2017 US open draw. At least in Hard courts u might find players on their day who can play Nadal close, take a set, maybe upset him. But since this is clay, this is even worse. Hs might still win even if all the contenders are on his side but at least it will be competitive. Here it will just be Nadal not dropping a set at all, serving bakery products along the way till the final. Only formidable opponent is Schwartzman who has no weapons to trouble Nadal, might take a set at best. Federer is way past it on clay, Tsitsipas will not even take a set at Phillipe Chatrier.

Nadal's opponents in the first 4 rounds:
1) Hanfmann
2) Maden
3) Goffin
4) Londero/Moutet:drool:

Hope Fed loses to Stan, don't want another loss against Nadal in RG. Rooting for Thiem all the way, Barty in the women's section. Not many may know that Barty played in WBBL 4-5 years back. 

@Gollum

Neither would've had a chance against Nadal. Stan would've done worse probably. Only person who would've had a slight chance was Tsitsipas. But, now that Federer is into the SF, he realizes he is the underdog, he already has exceeded everyone's expectations. I mean reaching a RG SF at the age of 38, after being away from clay for 3-4 years, almost without dropping a set is a GOAT-worthy achievement. So, he knows he has a very negligible chance against Nadal, so he will play and swing freely, with his serve and net/volley game, he can stay competitive for a set and maybe take one.  Though, Nadal in 3 is most likely. Federer is  better than all of the  opponents Nadal's faced so far, still he would have to turn back the years, and play like his prime 27-28 year old self to stand a chance, which is absolutely impossible. It would be nice if it happened though. A fairy tale story.

Thiem has a very difficult road to the final now, with Khachanov and Nole. He probably won't reach the F to face Nadal. But, who knows, especially after the Serena Incident he might be motivated and start GOATing.

Edited by I6MTW

4 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

@Gollum

Neither would've had a chance against Nadal. Stan would've done worse probably. Only person who would've had a slight chance was Tsitsipas. But, now that Federer is into the SF, he realizes he is the underdog, he already has exceeded everyone's expectations. I mean reaching a RG SF at the age of 38, after being away from clay for 3-4 years, almost without dropping a set is a GOAT-worthy achievement. So, he knows he has a very negligible chance against Nadal, so he will play and swing freely, with his serve and net/volley game, he can stay competitive for a set and maybe take one.  Though, Nadal in 3 is most likely. Federer is  better than all of the  opponents Nadal's faced so far, still he would have to turn back the years, and play like his prime 27-28 year old self to stand a chance, which is absolutely impossible. It would be nice if it happened though. A fairy tale story.

Thiem has a very difficult road to the final now, with Khachanov and Nole. He probably won't reach the F to face Nadal. But, who knows, especially after the Serena Incident he might be motivated and start GOATing.

Hope thunderstorms hit RG, Nadal doesn't like wet clay cos his topspin will be nullified. I am happy with Fed's show but would have preferred had he lost today, let Stan be the lamb for slaughter. Anyhow he is shanking too much on the BH, he might get a good start but then the Spaniard will eventually moonball his BH to submission, seen it happen too many times for my liking on clay. 

16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hope thunderstorms hit RG, Nadal doesn't like wet clay cos his topspin will be nullified. I am happy with Fed's show but would have preferred had he lost today, let Stan be the lamb for slaughter. Anyhow he is shanking too much on the BH, he might get a good start but then the Spaniard will eventually moonball his BH to submission, seen it happen too many times for my liking on clay. 

Federer for one would have to drastically improve his BP conversion which was atrocious. And against Nadal who will be clutch when facing BPs it is quite difficult. Nadal is way more clutch than Wawrinka who Fed still  struggled to break. As for the BH, it would certainly better than their last Clay meeting in 2013 I think. The racquet change has certainly helped in his meeting against Rafa, though I dont know how it'll help him on clay.

The forecast is rainy and overcast conditons with thunderstorms, but Federer himself doesn't prefer those conditions. Nadal will struggle with less topspin though.

Federer should try the underarm serve. Would work quite well against Nadal returning so far away from the baseline. But unfortunately Fed is concerned about his image. Which will go down if he attempts such tactics. 

9 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Federer for one would have to drastically improve his BP conversion which was atrocious. And against Nadal who will be clutch when facing BPs it is quite difficult. Nadal is way more clutch than Wawrinka who Fed still  struggled to break. As for the BH, it would certainly better than their last Clay meeting in 2013 I think. The racquet change has certainly helped in his meeting against Rafa, though I dont know how it'll help him on clay.

That's always been his problem, hasn't it? Against both Nadal and Nole....1/17 in RG 2007 F and similar atrocious conversion in 2015 USO F. As you said he should play with no fear, come out swinging and not get mentally bogged down. 

BH is better than 2013 (old racquet) but needs to bring out the 2017 Indian Wells version of it to stand any chance. 

The forecast is rainy and overcast conditons with thunderstorms, but Federer himself doesn't prefer those conditions. Nadal will struggle with less topspin though.

Both don't like those conditions but it will close down the gap a bit. 

Federer should try the underarm serve. Would work quite well against Nadal returning so far away from the baseline. But unfortunately Fed is concerned about his image. Which will go down if he attempts such tactics. 

Never happening, Nadal has his wedding next month...doubt our man would want his name struck off the invitation list. 

Edited by Gollum

I don't care if fed losses to Nadal who is himself is invincible on clay...roger taking part in this clay season has itself elevated the excitement even at an age of 37 going 38...just simply magical...u have to just see the crowd attendance for his practice session on RG... simply the goat...

Nadal just won the French Open now. Today's play has been washed out. Leaving the remaining QF-ists to play the QF and SF in two consecutive days, while Nadal and Fed has two days off for the SF. The odds of Nadal winning has increased drastically. Nole will most likely tire out from facing Zverev and Thiem before meeting Nadal. I don't see Thiem, Zverev or Khachanov having a chance even when healthy, much less exhausted from playing best of 5 matches in 2 consecutive days with no rest. 

2 minutes ago, Pratik77 said:

At least someone from next gen is providing consistent results in GS...hope he makes it to the final...but standing in his path is wall:dong:

Only on clay though. Tsitsipas was close. Got unlucky running into the Stanimal this time.