2019 French Open

I6MTW

I don't remember Thiem ever delivering 2 great back to back matches against the big 3, usually he shines in one and next round gets promptly slaughtered. I hope for a Fed-Thiem or Nadal-Nole final, anything other than that will be depressing. 

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

I don't remember Thiem ever delivering 2 great back to back matches against the big 3, usually he shines in one and next round gets promptly slaughtered. I hope for a Fed-Thiem or Nadal-Nole final, anything other than that will be depressing. 

It would be nice to see Federer beat Nadal and Djokovic back to back. Though that's almost impossible. In the rare occurrence that he beats Nadal on Clay, Djokovic is a much tougher matchup for him. Only way he would have a chance is if Thiem-Nole went for 5 hours across two days cuz of the rain. 

I don't think Nole-Thiem will be easy, Thiem beat Nole easily when the latter was out of form for nearly 2 years. I feel Nole at his best is a bad matchup for Thiem. 

Windy conditions but * have Fed's decision making abilities been poor today. Why so many stupid net approaches? Getting broken from 40-0, getting broken from the favorable side of the court, refusal to hit lobs, clueless drop shots, overall pathetic tactics :whack:

Conditions were horrible. But Federer had his chances, Nadal was good for the most part. Wasn't a total beatdown like 08 but still felt he could've taken a set. Sadly wasn't to be. Nadal was always gonna be too much for him.

Now the question remains how will the remaining to handle the weather? Both Nole and Thiem are not good wind players. Nadal and Federer are the best in these conditions and these actually favoured Nadal more. 

Now with Federer gone I am rooting for Thiem. He looks like he had something to prove. I know Djokovic may have the better chance against Rafa, but I feel Thiem might pull it off. He did beat a decent Rafa at Barcelona, He showed his best clay court game there. I think he'll fare better. But , if Thiem were to lose against Nole. I wouldnt be too sad with a Rafole final. Nole may pull it off. Nadal's level hasn't been too good, unlike in Rome. He also hasn't been tested yet, that may prove to be the downfall of him.

29 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Conditions were horrible. But Federer had his chances, Nadal was good for the most part. Wasn't a total beatdown like 08 but still felt he could've taken a set. Sadly wasn't to be. Nadal was always gonna be too much for him.

Now the question remains how will the remaining to handle the weather? Both Nole and Thiem are not good wind players. Nadal and Federer are the best in these conditions and these actually favoured Nadal more. 

Now with Federer gone I am rooting for Thiem. He looks like he had something to prove. I know Djokovic may have the better chance against Rafa, but I feel Thiem might pull it off. He did beat a decent Rafa at Barcelona, He showed his best clay court game there. I think he'll fare better. But , if Thiem were to lose against Nole. I wouldnt be too sad with a Rafole final. Nole may pull it off. Nadal's level hasn't been too good, unlike in Rome. He also hasn't been tested yet, that may prove to be the downfall of him.

Joker already complaining...kudos to fedal for fighting it in the wind...I saw match live...wind was terrible

1 hour ago, Pratik77 said:

Joker already complaining...kudos to fedal for fighting it in the wind...I saw match live...wind was terrible

This is precisely why Nole will never be loved or have the same fan following as Roger or Rafa. Always complaining when conditions aren't satisfying. He used to be like this a decade ago, and it seems he still hasn't changed. He may have achieved so much since then and the winning mentality may be of a champion, but he is always a complainer. Rafa and Roger played thru the same conditions they didn't even complain, though both were affected  by it. Even Thiem didn't complain and carried on with the match.

43 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

This is precisely why Nole will never be loved or have the same fan following as Roger or Rafa. Always complaining when conditions aren't satisfying. He used to be like this a decade ago, and it seems he still hasn't changed. He may have achieved so much since then and the winning mentality may be of a champion, but he is always a complainer. Rafa and Roger played thru the same conditions they didn't even complain, though both were affected  by it. Even Thiem didn't complain and carried on with the match.

Huh? Nadal is a serial complainer and whiner, always looking out for personal benefit. Fed doesn't need to because he is entitled and usually gets his way with tournament organizers. 

Fed is losing the H2H battles to his main rivals, sad to see. Even Anand is doing the same, getting spanked by Carlsen every other day when it is time he calls it quits, learn from Kasparov, hell even Kramnik who retired earlier this year. Sad week for me. 

25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Huh? Nadal is a serial complainer and whiner, always looking out for personal benefit. Fed doesn't need to because he is entitled and usually gets his way with tournament organizers. 

Nadal is. I still remember him threatening to not play Madrid from 13 onwards if they didn't  get rid of the blue clay.

Still, conditions got better at the end of the day but Nole refused to play, so match is postponed to tomorrow, effectively ensuring Nadal wins his 12th. Anyway Nole has lost a lot of respect from people because of his antics today.

Edited by I6MTW

16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Fed is losing the H2H battles to his main rivals, sad to see. Even Anand is doing the same, getting spanked by Carlsen every other day when it is time he calls it quits, learn from Kasparov, hell even Kramnik who retired earlier this year. Sad week for me. 

Doesn't matter at the end. His playing style plus his GS records and weeks at no 1, will be remembered at the end. Nole might have the best chance to break Ted's records. I don't see Nadal successfully completing a hard court tournament without getting injured, and the fact that he sucks on grass, he would have to play the clay season and win it every year until the next few years , which is unlikely since we're already seeing signs of his decline from last year and this year. I still think Fed might add a GS or two, to his tally, most probably Wimbledon.

1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

Nadal is. I still remember him threatening to not play Madrid from 13 onwards if they didn't  get rid of the blue clay.

Yeah, that sucked..enjoyed the 2012 Madrid Open so much. Nadal is the worst among the big 3.

1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

Still, conditions got better at the end of the day but Noor refused to play, so match is postponed to tomorrow, effectively ensuring Nadal wins his 12th. 

RG organizers deserve this and more, such a pathetically run tournament. For the sake of tennis I hope we have a Monday final...otherwise this whole major has been a mockery. That way we will also be able to watch the Ind-Aus match in peace. 

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yeah, that sucked..enjoyed the 2012 Madrid Open so much. Nadal is the worst among the big 3.

RG organizers deserve this and more, such a pathetically run tournament. For the sake of tennis I hope we have a Monday final...otherwise this whole major has been a mockery. That way we will also be able to watch the Ind-Aus match in peace. 

RG is by far the worst run GS. Scheduling is bad, the weather plus the lack of roof. No lights etc.

I still wonder would Nadal have won RG in recent years if the roof was installed before itself. 

I heard Nole might pull out of the SF if the final isn't postponed to monday.

18 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Doesn't matter at the end. His playing style plus his GS records and weeks at no 1, will be remembered at the end. Nole might have the best chance to break Ted's records. I don't see Nadal successfully completing a hard court tournament without getting injured, and the fact that he sucks on grass, he would have to play the clay season and win it every year until the next few years , which is unlikely since we're already seeing signs of his decline from last year and this year.

Don't be so sure, if Nadal makes it past week 1 in SW19 he will be a legit contender. His 2018 grass form is enough to beat anyone in week 2 apart from Nole and Fed. 

He is in decline on clay but even that declined version is good enough to win more RGs. I have been living on this hope of his decline since the early part of this decade. 

I still think Fed might add a GS or two, to his tally, most probably Wimbledon.

1 more major is a remote possibility. 2, highly doubtful. His days of winning in RG and USO are over. Who would have guessed he wouldn't add to his USO tally post 2008 !!!

I want Fed to win 1 more ATP finals and a gold in Tokyo will be awesome as well. Again why did the choker lose to Goffin in 2017 after winning the first set so easily :wall:

Edited by Gollum

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Don't be so sure, if Nadal makes it past week 1 in SW19 he will be a legit contender. His 2018 grass form is enough to beat anyone in week 2 apart from Nole and Fed. 

He is in decline on clay but even that declined version is good enough to win more RGs. I have been living on this hope of decline since the early part of this decade. 

1 more major is a remote possibility. 2, highly doubtful. His days of winning in RG and USO are over. Who would have guessed he wouldn't add to his USO tally post 2008 !!!

I want Fed to win 1 more ATP finals and a gold in Tokyo will be awesome as well. Again why did the choker lose to Goffin in 2017 after winning the first set so easily :wall:

Combination of Federer getting tired plus Goffin peaking. 

In Wimbledon I am sure Tsitsipas, Cilic, Del Potro, can take him out in the second week. In the first week if he runs into Isner, or Kyrgios he's toast. 

In Clay, in his worst form  he can still win maybe a masters and a RG as evident from this year, but in future years the competition will get even stronger. Peak Thiem, Tsitsipas, Fognini, Nole, FAA can all win against him.

Atrocious to see them calling off play when its bright sunshine. You already had one semi final in similar conditions. The other one should have continued. 

Regarding Federer, this is actually great result for Federer. Remember this was his first clay slam in yeas and he reached all the way to to Semis. He looks hungrier than ever to me and it bodes well for grass and the handcart season to follow. An easy win for Nadal as expected today but Federer fans need to look at the bigger picture - him making to semi finals without breaking sweat. 

Thiem is screwed again for the second week this time. Seriously RG is the worst Slam. Horrible conditions , empty crowds, etc. And absolutely disgusting on Noles part to just leave the stadium after play was suspended and call the shots, just because he had no interest in playing today. The weather was sunny for an hour anf a half. They could've easily finished the match today. Plus with Nole saying he wants the final on Monday if he wins. 

Edited by I6MTW