Left Armers and Fifers in WC 2019

Left arm seamers have picked 7 fifers  and 1 left arm spinner have got fifer in this world cup. Right handers only Neesham and Shami picked up fifer.Even in the past like 2015 where Boult and Starc were the leading wicket takers.  Zak was the gun bowler in 2011.  It definitely adds some variety to the bowling.  Khaleel has to be groomed to lend variety to this attack. In case someone breaks down he can be tried.

7 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Left arm seamers have picked 7 fifers  and 1 left arm spinner have got fifer in this world cup. Right handers only Neesham and Shami picked up fifer.Even in the past like 2015 where Boult and Starc were the leading wicket takers.  Zak was the gun bowler in 2011.  It definitely adds some variety to the bowling.  Khaleel has to be groomed to lend variety to this attack. In case someone breaks down he can be tried.

too late to bring in khaleel for this WC, but we are definitely lacking in left-arm options recently. we had Zak, Irfan, RP, Nehra of which one was a very good bowler for Ind and the other 3 excelled in patches. apart from khaleel, I am surprised that khejroliya has never gotten opportunities in the A side for limited overs. He has a deadly List A record. by next WC, he will probably have lost his zing. I wonder if there are any good left-arm pacers who are <22 yrs old apart from khaleel.

32 minutes ago, Vijy said:

too late to bring in khaleel for this WC, but we are definitely lacking in left-arm options recently. we had Zak, Irfan, RP, Nehra of which one was a very good bowler for Ind and the other 3 excelled in patches. apart from khaleel, I am surprised that khejroliya has never gotten opportunities in the A side for limited overs. He has a deadly List A record. by next WC, he will probably have lost his zing. I wonder if there are any good left-arm pacers who are <22 yrs old apart from khaleel.

Arshdeep looks a good prospect, tall guy, pace too will increase hopefully, swings the ball. Yarra Prithviraj is another good prospect, has pace too.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Arshdeep looks a good prospect, tall guy, pace too will increase hopefully, swings the ball. Yarra Prithviraj is another good prospect, has pace too.

yes, I forgot prithvi raj. I thought arshdeep was more of a mid-130s bowler ATM? I hope he can get it up to late 130s and low 140s consistently.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:37 PM, Vijy said:

Like you said, the key is “good” left arm bowler(s). As even if Starc was a right arm bowler, he would still be successful. Like if Kohli batted left handed, he would still score runs 

Which is why I do not read much into type of bowler or batsman, and at what positions they batted or bowled. Good players do well in the roles assigned to them (and are usually given spots where they can make the most impact for the team)

On 7/5/2019 at 6:35 PM, vvvslaxman said:

Yes. Left armers have huge advantage when bowling. Without going into technicalities, Basic thing is, batsmen are not used to facing left armers in the nets. So they can’t pick the angle. Even most left handed batsmen bats have the same issue and they all developed themselves against right arm pacers.

Now technique. Left hand bats are have developed themselves as playing close to their bodies ( hence so elegant) while right handers are used to playing shots on ball going into leg side or wide ones while defending the ones which are pitching on middle and offstump. Now left armers pitch most balls on middle stump and offstump. No wonder right handed bat seem to make the ball look like jaffer while left handers bats find difficult to judge offstump of theirs.

So, all in all, if there is pressure to score runs, and some movement, Left arm trundler seamer will do job  better than decent bowlers if he can pitch the ball on middle stump line for righties and outside offstump to lefties

Edited by mishra