SF1: Ind vs NZ Pre-Match Discussion Thread (WC19)

zen

The 1st SF is on July 9th at Old Trafford. Weather is expected to be good (no rain) but cloudy. The stage could be set for a good game of cricket.  

Knockouts among more or less evenly matched sides, at times, depend not only on skills but factors such as "luck" (for a lack of better choice of word) as well. For e.g. in 1990, Italy played Brazil in the final of the soccer world cup. The game went to the penalty shootout. Both GKs shook hands and told each other that the team destined to win will win. Roberto Baggio missed the key penalty and Brazil won:

Bears will start as the favorite but will be wary of Kiwis' ability to come up with a game plan to create an even playing field. If Kiwis use both brain and brawn, the game could go down to the wire to give fans a roller-coaster experience. 

9911095.jpg

vs

kiwi-bird-4.jpg

BOL to both teams! 

Hitman
KL
Kohli
Pant
Pandya

Karthik

Dhoni
Jadeja
Shami
Chahal

Bumrah

Spin is what killed NZ the last time we played them on their pitches. Kuldeep and Chahal. The Jadeja/Chalal will be just as effective.

Shami must be bowled out before the 40th over.

5 bowlers in Bumrah Shami Pandya Jaddu and Chalal.

Batting we can bat down to number 8 with Jaddu.

Hitman/KL must show respect to Boult who broke India into two pieces in the 4th ODI in NZ earlier this year. Once they see him through they can attack the rest.

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

The thing I hate about NZ is that they bring down the quality of cricket by both sides, there are such peculiar teams/sportsmen in every discipline and hence the unpredictability. 

they can punch above their weight or drag the other team down ....  NZ has beaten Ind many times in key events:

• 1992 WC
  • 1999 WC
  • 2000 CT final. Ind was favorite. Kiwis won the title 
  • 2016 T20 WC game. Beat Ind on a rank turner in Ind
3 minutes ago, zen said:

they can punch above their weight or drag the other team down ....  NZ has beaten Ind many times in key events:

• 1992 WC
  • 1999 WC
  • 2000 CT final. Ind was favorite. Kiwis won the title 

Kiwis were firm favorites in each of those encounters, higher ranked. Besides we were lambs outside India. 

• 2016 T20 WC game. Beat Ind on a rank turner in Ind

This one was definitely an upset.

Edited by Gollum
Just now, Gollum said:

Kiwis were firm favorites in each of those encounters, also higher ranked. Besides we were lambs outside India. 

This one was definitely an upset.

In 1992 it but Ind had played a lot of cricket in Australia before the WC. In 1999, I am not sure. In 2000 CT, Ind was favorite to win (or at least the fans were happy to be playing NZ than Pak and believed Ind was going to win)

1 minute ago, zen said:

In 1992 it but Ind had played a lot of cricket in Australia before the WC. In 1999, I am not sure. In 2000 CT, Ind was favorite to win (or at least the fans were happy to be playing NZ than Pak and believed Ind was going to win)

IIRC in 1999-2000 NZ were ranked above us in ODIs. We had the form, momentum in 2000 mini WC but recent H2H and rankings were in their favor. Pak was a league above NZ and Ind then, that might explain the behavior of certain fans. 

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

IIRC in 1999-2000 NZ were ranked above us in ODIs. We had the form, momentum in 2000 mini WC but recent H2H and rankings were in their favor. Pak was a league above NZ and Ind then, that might explain the behavior of certain fans. 

Ok. I am not going by the ranking though as I am not sure people cared too much about it then relatively speaking. I am going by how the teams looked and shaped up, and how folks in general felt .... In 2000CT, we beat Aus. Had Ten and Ganguly. Yuvi and Zak were new but playing well. Pak was expected to win against NZ but it surprised it. And then Ind in the final. Afterward, NZ went on to play an ODI series in SA and lost badly 

PS there were not too many such forums in 2000 from what I recall :p:

Edited by zen

K no more digression :p:.

I think weather plays into the hands of Kiwis. They have a narrow window of opportunity to take down Bears and that window involves overcast conditions and Boult ripping through our top order. If match is curtailed, again edge NZ because we struggle against them in T20s. Players like Guptill and Munro might become big factors in 30 over matches, so long they have been very quiet.  

42 minutes ago, Gollum said:

K no more digression :p:.

I think weather plays into the hands of Kiwis. They have a narrow window of opportunity to take down Bears and that window involves overcast conditions and Boult ripping through our top order. If match is curtailed, again edge NZ because we struggle against them in T20s. Players like Guptill and Munro might become big factors in 30 over matches, so long they have been very quiet.  

Latham is playing instead of Munro

8 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

The question you should be asking was why wasnt the IPL played over a shorter schedule so that India could arrive on time with all the other countries.

IPl ended on 12. India arrived 23. First match on 5.

So apparently its rohit, kohli nd bumrah vs Williamson nd boult..  as cloud cover is predicted throughout the day with chances of rain.. boult will be india's moot peril.. whenever boult has got helpful conditions he has ran through this Indian batting lineup.. a la new Zealand home series nd practice match.. let's see how it pans out...this time..