India has to explore other leg spin options as well (especially for tests)

We need someone who can fizz across the blade. Chahal is not that kind of a bowler. I am still trying to look for someone who can land outside the leg stump and the ball leaves the batsman's the off stump.  Our spinners are good. Nobody anywhere close to Shane Warne. This is the best way we can win test series in SENA countries. Huge turning balls. Kuldeep is too slow on certain surfaces. Otherwise his landing, revs are really good. Now that world cup is done. Test matches take the precedence now. Sure we can use Jamodi series to groom youngsters. To be a world beating test side we need to have a strong reserve unit.

Think to win u need fast bowlers 

Shane warne was effective cos of fast bowlers 

also u need good total . And solid batters like pujara 

and a smart captain and coach 

and ... playing spinners at Sydney not green lords 

alas - most wishes will remain unfulfilled 

chahal bowls very well fyi 

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

We need someone who can fizz across the blade. Chahal is not that kind of a bowler. I am still trying to look for someone who can land outside the leg stump and the ball leaves the batsman's the off stump.  Our spinners are good. Nobody anywhere close to Shane Warne. This is the best way we can win test series in SENA countries. Huge turning balls. Kuldeep is too slow on certain surfaces. Otherwise his landing, revs are really good. Now that world cup is done. Test matches take the precedence now. Sure we can use Jamodi series to groom youngsters. To be a world beating test side we need to have a strong reserve unit.

Kuldeep took a 5 fer in Sydney test. Need to be persisted with. Shreyas Gopal can be a good choice too.

There are clearly a number of holes in our team. I don't entirely disagree with OP. I think Chahal is solid but Kuldeep is a better wicket taker (Chahal appears to get much of his success from Batsmen mishitting vs Kuldeep who tends to beat the batsman more). Additionally, having both of them plus Bumrah guarantees such a GD long tail. There WILL be tight matches in both tests and ODIs where you need some runs from no.9 or no. 10. I don't think we should be playing both of them.

I honestly like Kuldeep in test matches. I think he proved his worth in Aus. Yes there are certain surfaces where you might want a fingerspinner vs wrist spinner and the team needs to be cognizant of that and adjust accordingly. BUT, the key to SENA wins, as someone mentioned, is wickets from the seamers, along with batting vs the new ball. 

Kuldeep is a china man bowler. So he is always going to add some value as he is unique. But is there a case for a right arm leggie in Tests? If so Chahal is not the answer. Right now we get by with Ash and Jaddu. But overseas test series need more wicket taking options. That is where wristies come in the picture.

In home conditions, both Ash and Jaddu are top-notch with Kuldeep serving as an able backup.

Abroad in SENA, if we play only 1 spinner I'd rather have Jaddu. he will keep an end tied up, he will field masterfully, and he bats well these days (avg of 42+ since jan 2016 in tests). Kuldeep will be the back-up.

against weaker teams, spinners like rahul chahar and gopal should be given a go.

well.. Kuldeep doesnt seem to get bounce like Yasir Shah, Nathan Lyon to succeed in Sena.

We should groom Rahul Chahar and Ravi Bishnoi.. dont make them play in India A matches and wait for them to succeed.. those matches are usually 4 day games i guess so spinners wont be so effective. Play these RLB type

I've been saying this for many months now. With three fast bowlers we can create enough rough outside the wicket for wrist spinners to exploit, especially against left handers. Leg spinners work irrespective of the surface.

In SENA tours, wrist/leggies are a must. Going by existing evidence our existing off spinners haven't won any games outside India. It is time for the TM to have a look and bring in wristies into the test team.

present options

1. Kuldeep - struggling with form n confidence

2. Rahul chahar- Not ready for red ball as he bowls a lot of loose stuff playing in ranji , but shud be given more games for India-A

3. Gopal- Dont think he is a great red ball option but can be tried in India-A games

4. Chahal- definately not a red ball bowler

5. Markhande- more of a googly bowler

6. Bishnoi- toooo young , also looks more of a white ball bowler

Another problem is selectors are just giving chances to finger spinners for India- A - nadeem, gowtham, Axar 

Atleast we shud have tried Gopal 

Rahul Chahar,  Ravi Bishnoi.  I'd still like to see Kuldeep playing one D/N test in Australia.  Some reports said he was practicing increasing his pace.  Left arm wrist spin is always an advantage.  He only needs to increase his pace.  He is 10× talented than Yasir & Shadab. 

54 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

well.. Kuldeep doesnt seem to get bounce like Yasir Shah, Nathan Lyon to succeed in Sena.

Bhai Yasir ka record check karo, in SNA. Even in Eng his overall avg is in wrong side of 30s. Eng can make heroes out of random Pakistanis. 

Edited by Gollum
12 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Got a 5fer in Australia that Ashwin so far hasn't done in his career.  I'd back him.  He has limited opportunity in tests & so far he has done well. 

ashwin was unlucky in Sa or else wud hve gotten a 7fer , if not for 3-4 dropped catches which is to much 

Ashwin hasnt been that bad as ppl make out, every spinner around the world has ipoor record in some country be it lyon or yasir 

kuldeep 5fer is a thing of past , things have changed now. His form n confidence is diff and so will be australian batsman . I like kuldeep but 1st he needs to get his form n confidence back 

Ashwin i still feel is our best spinner around the world. In his intial cycle also batsman hardly put runs on board for him to attack even and even kumble didnt have a good record overseas for most of his career until last phase

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

ashwin was unlucky in Sa or else wud hve gotten a 7fer , if not for 3-4 dropped catches which is to much 

Ashwin hasnt been that bad as ppl make out, every spinner around the world has ipoor record in some country be it lyon or yasir 

kuldeep 5fer is a thing of past , things have changed now. His form n confidence is diff and so will be australian batsman . I like kuldeep but 1st he needs to get his form n confidence back 

Ashwin i still feel is our best spinner around the world. In his intial cycle also batsman hardly put runs on board for him to attack even and even kumble didnt have a good record overseas for most of his career until last phase

Ashwin in 2013 almost bowled India to defeat on 4th inns in Joburg.  Ashwin himself has admitted this as his most shameful performance.  We gotta be patient with Kuldeep in tests.  He is much better than Ashwin overseas.  That dude has failed time & again.  Bowled miserably on a slow pitch in centurion test 2018. It's time we stop overrating him.  Jaddu is better. 

4 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Ashwin in 2013 almost bowled India to defeat on 4th inns in Joburg.  Ashwin himself has admitted this as his most shameful performance.  

So everyone has had bad perfomance

We gotta be patient with Kuldeep in tests.  He is much better than Ashwin overseas.  That dude has failed time & again.  Bowled miserably on a slow pitch in centurion test 2018. It's time we stop overrating him.  Jaddu is better. 

kuldeep 2nd test engalnd bowled full toss after full toss 

there is not even enough sample to prove kuldeep is better apart from that he is a wrist spinner. A doesnt become better then B without playing

his record is pretty decent overseas apart from 2 countries which even lyon n most great players ull find a problem with

Edited by Ankit_sharma03