Robin Singh applies for Team India head coach position: "I would have held back Virat Kohli to the No. 4 slot. For that game, I would have picked Mayank Agarwal at No. 3."

Former India all-rounder Robin Singh has thrown his hat in the ring for the coach of Indian men's cricket team. Robin has coached various teams in the last 15 years and brings with him a wealth of experience in the department.

Robin Singh was India's fielding coach from during 2007-09, while also helming the affairs with the India Under-19 and 'A' teams and has also had a successful stint as an assistant coach with Indian Premier League champions Mumbai Indians.

Robin spoke to The Hindu soon after his application and said that the current Indian team needs change as under Ravi Shastri, they have lost in multiple ICC tournament knockout games. Robin feels that it is the right time to start preparing for the next World Cup and his experience could come in handy.

"Under the current coach, India has lost in the semifinals of two successive ODI World Cups, and in the last four stage of the World Twenty20 championship as well. Now is the time to prepare for the 2023 World Cup and a change could be good for the side."

Robin also dwelled further on what a coach's role should be during the game giving examples of what he would have done during India's semi-final defeat against New Zealand in the World Cup 2019.

"You got to transport yourself mentally into the game, put yourself in situations that the team and the players face, be a part of the moves, get into the players' mind. You can do this, only if you understand the game technically.

"With the ball moving around and India losing Rohit Sharma early, I would have held back Virat Kohli to the No. 4 slot. For that game, I would have picked another top-order batsman, Mayank Agarwal, at No. 3. M.S. Dhoni would have been No. 5 and he would have got more time. Kohli and Dhoni could have batted together. Then, we could have had the three power hitters, Hardik Pandya, Rishabh Pant and Ravindra Jadeja coming in."

Tom Moody, Mahela Jayawardene and Mike Hesson are the other notable candidates who are expected to apply though nothing has been confirmed yet regarding their application.

i think Shastri will be only challenged by tom moody...robin and hesson may be ruled out.

i pray they go for Moody. 

i have not tracked moody as coach much but his Stint with HYD IPL team for few years has been marvellous.

experts never thought that hyd IPL team would rule the IPL and they did to finally get knocked out by BETTER teams as mumbai and other teams stretched themselves in the last stages of the competetion.

getting sandeep sharma and bhuvi and khaleel together to become a dominating pace attack and boult was available for few matches only..also liked some strategies set up.

moody is definitely the best among these...

1 hour ago, Oldhere said:

I think this is the start of mission rohit sharma as captain by motabhai empire.

Robin and Mahela both are mumbai Indians with Robin in it for a long time.

So do think there are good chances for Robin

If so, It's great :two_thumbs_up: 

Edited by Kerberos