Shikhar Dhawan - opener for t20 WC next year?

In this t20 series against WI he only made a total of 27 runs. He did not seem in a good nick either, the highest being 23. Nobody could deny his top form & record in ICC events (ODIs) but the selectors & the management have put a lot of faith in him in this format as well.
He was a member of 2014 & 2016 editions of t20 WC in Bangladesh & India but he did not perform well with his bat over the course of group matches. Eventually MSD had to drop him in knockouts making way for Rahane. Though Dhawan had a wonderful t20 series down under in November where he was the top scorer & the second highest scorer in two matches which India played.
So should India persist with the same opening combination of Rohit-Dhawan or try K.L Rahul in place of him? Or should a new opener be given a chance or groomed considering t20 WC is in October 2020? Please share your thoughts.

i dont know why these 3 grown ass still playing t20... sachin, dravid and ganguly were not this desperate and rightly given reign to younger generation. Where as we have a captain insecure who just came back from rest blaming selectors that he never requested for rest to save his captaincy . What a fake aggression he has , he along with dhwan and rohit should have never been selected for t20 by selectors.  

Dhawan was never a good t20 player, He was dropped in both wt20s he played(2014, 2016) in important matches which sums up his t20 credentials. He takes time while settling in t20s and with Kohli playing Odis in t20 now-a-days, that doesnt help at all with t20 fraud coming at 6-7.Basically our t20 team stinks, Dont know how people can have so much strength yet to watch our team playing t20 these days.

Dhawan shouldn't have been there in the beginning,post wc you figure out your players who can form core of the team,you won't play yourself into a situation where you cant roll back

Even in franchise cricket they invest on youngsters in a hope they can serve their purposes for years to come ,just don't get what logic they bring in by making such decisions

dhawan has improved in T20Is before this series but he is not a natural fit. KLR must play in his stead. a firing KLR offers both consolidation and fast scoring. other alternatives that one can think about at opening include gill, shaw, suryakumar and samson in that order.

2 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Rahul is one of the best t20 openers still I will pick Shaw ahead of him. As I feel Rahul is mental midget and fail even if there is little pressure on him. 

shaw is not suited for shorter formats. too impulsive and gets out cheaply often. the mental issues plaguing rahul are not restricted to him - see entire top order performance vs NZ in WC. But I would play rahul at 4 since he can consolidate in case early wkts fall but it will give him enough overs to accelerate later.

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

shaw is not suited for shorter formats. too impulsive and gets out cheaply often. the mental issues plaguing rahul are not restricted to him - see entire top order performance vs NZ in WC. But I would play rahul at 4 since he can consolidate in case early wkts fall but it will give him enough overs to accelerate later

Rohit failed not because of pressure it is due to his technique which is poor against swinging ball unlike Rahul who played as a test opener. Even in the wc matches where Rahul scored 50's he scored at 70 strike rate except SL match which is too poor for a modern batsman . I think Shaw suits for t20 as he is an attacking batsman, i agree he needs to be more consistent.