gakgupta

Vihari can survive in intl cricket?? Your thoughts?

Thankfully we got to see him a little bit this match.

Quite honestly, it was a difficult pitch with good bowling...

He stuck it out there and got some runs ...in both the inninngs...

But, can he perform well in SENA countries? Your thoughts pls?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

He is good player of spin,but highly vulnerable to edges against moving ball.Currently against WI-A,he was thrice caught by keeper/slip corridor.He completed century after being dropped in first slip.Even in first test match he was caught by keeper in both innings.He is also weak against pace and bounce.He like Karun Nair is player of slow low bounce wickets.

Edited by vaul

During most of his innings I've seen, he has looked composed at the crease in terms of technique and temperament barring a few times where he had struggled against the short ball but every batsman has his short comings and he seems to have worked on it. Despite some good starts, he had failed to kick on and make a big score but finally, he has managed to get a good knock the other day. Now he needs to get more consistent in scoring. Needs to be given lot more games to establish himself.

Vihari will do just fine. Even in times when he looks over matched, he won’t throw it away. When he opened against Australia, he was clearly overmatched. In that first inning he scored just 8 runs, was beaten a few times, took some blows.. but he hung around. He was there for about an hour and a half, faced 65 odd balls and by the time he got out- Pujara was all set to come out and grind that Australian attack. When he played his usual middle order role, he was much more comfortable. But for me, he earned himself a few matches after he showed the determination he had to fight it out as a make shift opener. I am glad that Virat did not get tempted to select Rohit instead. A few years ago, he would have dumped Vihari and brought Rohit in. Now, the captain is wiser. 

36 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He has spunk. But technically he has to get better.

Nothing starkly amiss about his technique IMO. I think he’s a bit of introvert and does not quite fit into the aggressive in your face players this TM prefers. That would lead to some insecurity and coming across as being not so confident.

The last knock and batting for long with Rahane was the best thing to have happened to Vihari. Rahane, as vice captain and in good form, will be the perfect mentor for him along with Pujara. Expecting him to keep building on from the last innings.

Difficult to form an informed opinion until he plays a few more tests.

Buts needs to work a bit more on his short ball game.

He is not a special talent ... and for such players, career progress would depend a lot on how much hunger for success he has and how he works to improve his game further.

Can do well in international cricket if he keeps on working hard on his weaknesses and gets a few more chances in test matches.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:44 PM, gakgupta said:

He stuck it out there and got some runs

On 8/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, cowboysfan said:

not sure yet but

On 8/25/2019 at 3:13 PM, Cricspin said:

he has the appetite for runs.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:16 AM, MCcricket said:

dont get caught double minded or fear short pitched bowling , clarity of though n he will be ok

On 8/27/2019 at 8:32 AM, ShoonyaSifar said:

will we the fans have the patience and allow him a run of at least 12-15 Tests

On 8/27/2019 at 8:37 AM, vvvslaxman said:

Not a long term option

man we have so many professionals and selectors in ICF..

I think he is good enough to play as 6th batsman, has got good technique to handle pace, gritty with appetite for runs. 

He should bowl more often, has potential to give 8-10 overs a day.

But we want to try exciting Gill, that why doubting him.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:10 PM, SUMO said:

I think he is good enough to play as 6th batsman, has got good technique to handle pace, gritty with appetite for runs. 

He should bowl more often, has potential to give 8-10 overs a day.

But we want to try exciting Gill, that why doubting him.

He will definitely score big runs in sub-continent....and probably might takes few odd wickets...

That kind of seal his place..

I think India play most of the test matches in near future in sub-continent,

On 8/27/2019 at 10:43 AM, Tibarn said:

In his short career, he hasn't averaged very high, but he has had a high control % on his shots. That implies to me that he can get some good scores with a long run. 

Again, he has a great control % on a pitch with some help. 83% 

12 minutes ago, anish2tweet said:

He sweeps very well.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

his many yrs of domestic cricket have exposed him to a fair amount of spin. our spin-bowling cupboards are not what they were in 90s and 00s, but still the 8-9 yrs of the grind has helped him. karun nair is anyone who plays a wide array of sweeps, and jackson's footwork against spin is dazzling. but, by and large, most of our players are forgetting how to play spin.