Who is the most fearsome fast bowler you have seen

maniac

38 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Mitchell Johnson in 2013 Ashes was just unplayable with helmets and all those guards that they wear... that highlight reel on Youtube showing his wickets is just an awesome one with that perfect commentary of Mark Nicholas, Slater etc..

He did the same to South Africa in the next series.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Indian pitches were not placid in those days. Chennai used to be one of the fastest pitches in 80s. We regularly used to lay out green tops. This changed in 90s onwards when spin friendly pitches were made as Kapil declined and Kumble rose. I remember a former cricketer was talking about during a match. He was saying pitches were more pace friendly in India in 80s. He talked about Botham taking 13-fer in Mumbai in early 80s on a green top.

Indian pitches were less crumbly back then but still were mostly slow turners by day 3. Kapil notwithstanding, nobody put out green tops against the fearsome foursome of the WI. Unlike you, we actually saw those matches. Indian pitches were definitely not pace friendly when the windies visited and many windies pacers said so themselves.

In Australia, I won a competition and got to face an over of Brett Lee.

I asked him to bowl only outside off stump and that was when he was at his peak. That was frightening to say the least. I landed two on the bat, which is easy only because I knew exactly where he would bowl, otherwise it would have been a nightmare to land bat on ball.

The speed is something else. I would hate to imagine if he aimed at the stumps, my body or gave me a bouncer.

Just now, rkt.india said:

He wasn't. His quickest recorded delivery was 152kph. 

That says nothing of his average quickness or as was the case with Devon, an extreme ‘confidence’ bowler, when he felt super confident. In his insane 8-for or 9-for I remember watching, he was bowling at a searing pace and everyone was shocked how hostile and good he was being.

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

That says nothing of his average quickness or as was the case with Devon, an extreme ‘confidence’ bowler, when he felt super confident. In his insane 8-for or 9-for I remember watching, he was bowling at a searing pace and everyone was shocked how hostile and good he was being.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283875.html

In a fast bowling competition in 98, Malcom was the winner clocking 141 kph. Also even 152 kph is as quick as most genuine fast bowlers will bowl. I am not saying he wasn't fast but my point was he wasn't Lee, akhtar fast in top pace.

Edited by rkt.india
4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283875.html

In a fast bowling competition in 98, Malcom was the winner clocking 141 kph. Also even 152 kph is as quick as most genuine fast bowlers will bowl. I am not saying he wasn't fast but my point was he wasn't Lee, akhtar fast in top pace.

Again, 0.001% sample means nothing statistically. Akhtar could barely bowl more than 150kph 3 overs in a trot, for eg. Akhtar had the best top end speed, but if you survived 25 balls against him, he dropped to the low-mid 140s as the man had no stamina to speak of. Lee or Holding on the other hand, maintained their speeds for well over multiple 5-8 over bursts and tiring only after bowling 20 overs or so for a whole damn day.

43 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Again, 0.001% sample means nothing statistically. Akhtar could barely bowl more than 150kph 3 overs in a trot, for eg. Akhtar had the best top end speed, but if you survived 25 balls against him, he dropped to the low-mid 140s as the man had no stamina to speak of. Lee or Holding on the other hand, maintained their speeds for well over multiple 5-8 over bursts and tiring only after bowling 20 overs or so for a whole damn day.

Brett Lee bowling visciously in 2003 WC is one of the best bowling I've seen in a prolonged ICC tournament. Regularly clocked 150kmph+ speeds with threatening bouncers fetching him a lot of wickets. The South African pitches really suited him.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He wasn't. His quickest recorded delivery was 152kph. 

I think theres a difference between actually seeing someone bowl, and checking stats online. btw, Devon Malcolm was clocked at 156 as his fastest, as far as a I remember. 

Since speed guns werent invogue then, its difficult to say, but Devon was scary as hell and definitely was a 155 k bowler.

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

How many bowlers can bowl low-mid 140s as an average pace. You know what the average speed of Johnson in that Ashes 142-143. Even if Akhtar slowed down, his average speed was still higher than most fast bowlers. 

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

No one apart from Lee And Akhtar in last 20 years since proper speed gun use has bowled 150 kph 3 overs on a troat. Your exaggerations are laughable. do you even understand what is 150 kph means. It's 93 mph of average. Only Akhtar and Lee at their peak has done that. That too mostly in LOIs.

Edited by rkt.india