Who is the most fearsome fast bowler you have seen

maniac

3 hours ago, Turning_track said:

Brett Lee bowling visciously in 2003 WC is one of the best bowling I've seen in a prolonged ICC tournament. Regularly clocked 150kmph+ speeds with threatening bouncers fetching him a lot of wickets. The South African pitches really suited him.

None bowled 20 overs at 150 kph average speed. I can bet even at his worst fitness Akhtar was faster than Holding. I have seen Akhtar hitting 157 kph when opposition is batting at 400 runs.

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

I think theres a difference between actually seeing someone bowl, and checking stats online. btw, Devon Malcolm was clocked at 156 as his fastest, as far as a I remember. 

Since speed guns werent invogue then, its difficult to say, but Devon was scary as hell and definitely was a 155 k bowler.

Even 152 kph is fast by all means. Johnson In that Ashes series wasn't much faster than 152 when he tormented England. You can torment batsmen at 145-150. It depends on pitch and the attitude of a fast bowler.

12 hours ago, Suhaan said:

No doubt,the most fearsome fast bowler of his generation was none other than Akhtar

I remember his spell against us in Kolkata test in Asian test Championship where he picked Tendulkar,Dravid of consecutive deliveries,he instilled fear even in the crowd

But then after Sehwag's arrival things changed ,his brutal assault on Akhtar made us believe he was never that good but the fear factor when he first arrived ,made him look like a demon who can gobble line ups in a spell

yeah some who only started post Sehwag/Raina/Dhoni etc arrival would never know that side of Akthar and never knew to respect him. 

Same thing happened with Sachin and Wasim/Waqar. Its like WMD race between Pak and India, in those times pak was relatively not such a a-hole enemy country politically and was good in cricket and we still played cricket.

40 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

No one apart from Lee And Akhtar in last 20 years since proper speed gun use has bowled 150 kph 3 overs on a troat. Your exaggerations are laughable. do you even understand what is 150 kph means. It's 93 mph of average. Only Akhtar and Lee at their peak has done that. That too mostly in LOIs.

Lee is the only guy who did it in test in single spells. I cant remember Akhtar doing that, may be in tests in pak ( pindi ?), But yes only those two could do that for multiple overs. Else its others in ODI 1-2 overs ( tait bond etc)

4 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Well tbf none of the modern day quicks were, even Thommo given that Lee/Shoaib were super quick for at least a decade each & consistently so. I doubt we'll see anyone come regularly close to their pace in our lifetimes.

this has got as much to do with better speed guns as it does with Lee/Akthars freak ability. 

4 minutes ago, Vilander said:

to be fearsome;

1, Needs to bowl 140+

2, Needs a good bouncer

3, Need to be accurate in targeting the intended spot on batsman's body. 

4, Needs to have a generally serious anti social look on the pitch

Srinath ticked the top 3 boxes :laugh: but missed out on the 4th point by some margin. That Ponting incident was just sad, shows why people like douchey anti-heroes than goody 2 shoes nice guys

2 of my most memorable(not in a good way :(( ) Sachin dismissals were 

Wasim Akram trapping Sachin LBW plumb in front with an amazing slower ball in the first over in the Ind-Aus-Pak tri series . No one saw that coming. That was artistry from the bowler

Alan Donald running through Sachin's defense with  brutal full length ball that came in sharply off the seam in the 96 series. Sachin couldn't even crouch here :giggle: absolutely zipped past his defense and this was Sachin at his prime prime when he had the fastest reflexes and bat speed. Now that was brutal.

7 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Indian pitches were less crumbly back then but still were mostly slow turners by day 3. Kapil notwithstanding, nobody put out green tops against the fearsome foursome of the WI. Unlike you, we actually saw those matches. Indian pitches were definitely not pace friendly when the windies visited and many windies pacers said so themselves.

Yes, I remember the first test at Kanpur where Marshall literally embarrased the Indian line-up by getting the ball to rise up akwardly from just short of good length. I cried when Gavaskar got out with his bat flinging out of his hand to fend such a rising delivery and a WI player had to hand him his bat on the way to pavilion. Sunny changed his style completely in the next test at Delhi by batting aggressively, even hooking and pulling the quicks to his hundred. Of course the Delhi pitch was more of a road than the Kanpur one. 

That was the series where the only batsman who stood up to the WI quicks was him. All the rest were passengers including Jimmy Amarnath who had a wonderful run up until then and he scored several ducks in a row and got dropped.

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

to be fearsome;

1, Needs to bowl 140+

2, Needs a good bouncer

3, Need to be accurate in targeting the intended spot on batsman's body. 

4, Needs to have a generally serious anti social look on the pitch

Bumrah is a fast bowler who is always smiling but still comes across as rather fearsome ...

because, apart from his hostile bowling and mental aggression, his smile comes across as the confident and mocking smile of someone who is almost playing around with a lesser being !

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

Lee is the only guy who did it in test in single spells. I cant remember Akhtar doing that, may be in tests in pak ( pindi ?), But yes only those two could do that for multiple overs. Else its others in ODI 1-2 overs ( tait bond etc)

I remember against us that flat/road series in 2006 in Pak, Akhtar bowled multiple 150-157 kph overs and that too not in his first spells but at the end of the day. In that series dravid-sehwag had 410 run opening partnership.