Jump to content
MechEng

Thinking bowlers

Recommended Posts

They are a rare breed, aren't they? The perfect example is Zaheer Khan. He did not have the accuracy of Mcgrath or Asif, not as highly skilled and fit as Jimmy Anderson, also nowhere close to the present quartet of Ishant-Boomrah-Shami-Yadav in pace, I'd say even Bhuvi is 5 kph faster on average than Zak.

 

Yet despite of his limits in fitness/skill/pace he compensated it with excellent strategy skills. The way he would set up Graeme Smith with a surprise off cutter to send his off stump cartwheeling or surprise Dilshan with a short ball when he was committed on front foot waiting for a pitched up delivery are good examples.

 

Wasim Akram in his final years and Boomrah now are also similar apart from Zak having no competition with them in pace and skills. Name similar such bowlers you can think of.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

He was great in that phase, but wasn't a great bowler because of fitness and took a long long time to mature. SHAMI N Bumrah are far. Better overall

Shami for all his hidden age claims and whatnot, has shown capability of doing everything at great pace. Zak took forever to learn those and even didn't have many performances because of fitness. His initial days was like Ishant's career. No wonder even Ishant may end up with better numbers than Zak's. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, MechEng said:

They are a rare breed, aren't they? The perfect example is Zaheer Khan. He did not have the accuracy of Mcgrath or Asif, not as highly skilled and fit as Jimmy Anderson, also nowhere close to the present quartet of Ishant-Boomrah-Shami-Yadav in pace, I'd say even Bhuvi is 5 kph faster on average than Zak.

 

Yet despite of his limits in fitness/skill/pace he compensated it with excellent strategy skills. The way he would set up Graeme Smith with a surprise off cutter to send his off stump cartwheeling or surprise Dilshan with a short ball when he was committed on front foot waiting for a pitched up delivery are good examples.

 

Wasim Akram in his final years and Boomrah now are also similar apart from Zak having no competition with them in pace and skills. Name similar such bowlers you can think of.

Did you actually see Zak or someone else? Even in his last year, Zak could hit 140 plus. He had started as a fast bowler. At least in first 4-5 years of his career, he would easily bowl 85-89 mph range. He did lose pace since 2006 but he was still hitting 85 plus mph on a regular basis and that isn't slower than Bhuvi.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, gakgupta said:

Woow....
Bumrah in that elite list...
Hold your horses boyzz

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
 

 

You don't think Bumrah is a thinking bowler ?

 

He could well top that list ... as discussion is not about greatness or eliteness of bowlers.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

 

You don't think Bumrah is a thinking bowler ?

 

He could well top that list ... as discussion is not about greatness or eliteness of bowlers.

      Just the fact that from basically in dipping bowler , now his armory has lot more weapons well mastered .

      the quickness with which he makes changes in his game to overcome deficiencies just proves that.  

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

      Just the fact that from basically in dipping bowler , now his armory has lot more weapons well mastered .

      the quickness with which he makes changes in his game to overcome deficiencies just proves that.  

 

Add to that the fact that he is often quicker than the home pacers in finding the right length for most away venue pitches.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/19/2019 at 2:57 AM, express bowling said:

Chronologically ..... 

 

Marshall

Akram

Warne

McGrath

Steyn 

Bumrah

I think Shane Warne is probably the most intelligent cricketer..ever to play the game.. 

There weren't many wrist spinners before him to learn from, played most of his tests in Australia and England where the ball hardly spins until end of day 4 and that too spins only from the rough.. and who can forget his most defining strategic contribution during Aussies victorious 2004 final frontier campaign in India..absolute genius

 

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 10/19/2019 at 4:57 AM, express bowling said:

Chronologically ..... 

 

Marshall

Akram

Warne

McGrath

Steyn 

Bumrah

Mcgrath didn't think much. He had only one skill which was to land the ball in corridor of uncertainty, by far the hardest skill. But he mastered his only skill and never needed pace or planning/plotting.

 

Asif was same as Mcgrath with more lateral  movement.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...