zen

Horror/Psychological Thrillers

The Silence of the Lambs:

This is turning out to be a good top 10 list. 

Btw, got the 4K UHD of Suspira (1977) released by Synapse films (there was a 4K without HDR released in 2017 by another company as well). It is the most expensive single 4K disc in my collection. Paid the same for it as the Matrix trilogy with UHDs, Blue-rays, and digital :lol:  .... But watching it on UHD was an awesome experience 

Also the Shining was remastered in 4K recently. Got that one as well. Brilliant transfer. 

Jaws will be released on 4K UHD soon .... In 2012, Universal restored the film in 4k and released it on Blu-ray. Now we will get the 4K restored version on a 4K disc w/ the addition of Dolby Vision/HDR10+/HDR and Dolby Atmos audio. Here is a nice video on the original restoration done in 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcn06rKJn4s 

Nice review of the Jaws 4K UHD on Digital Bits:

Jaws was shot photochemically on 35 mm film using Arriflex 35-III and Panavision Panaflex cameras with anamorphic lenses and was finished on film in the 2.35:1 “scope” ratio for its theatrical exhibition. As part of Universal’s 100th anniversary in 2012, a decision was made to restore and preserve Jaws for the future. The film’s original camera negative was wet gate scanned in native 4K. The image was then digitally cleaned to remove scratches, dirt, and other age-related artifacts. A new 4K DI was created along with a new film-out negative. For its release on Ultra HD, a new HDR color grade was completed too (and fans will be glad to know that HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision options are all included). Despite the fact that this restoration was done 8 years ago, the result is gorgeous. Save for titles and transitions done optically (which means you’re looking at the master interpositive rather than the OCN), and a few shots in which the focus is a little soft, the improvement in fine detailing is very pleasing. Print grain is intact, at a light-moderate level, allowing the image to retain all of its original photochemical character. The HDR grade has been done with a light hand, adding just a little pop to the image. Shadows are a bit deeper, highlights are more naturally luminous but never blown out. Only a couple of image tweaks have been done (notably an adjustment to ensure that the brightness levels of the night sky, as seen through the windows of the Orca’s cabin, match at all times) but these were visible in the 2012 Blu-ray as well (reviewed here at The Bits). The film’s colors benefit the most on Ultra HD, exhibiting a richer luster and more nuanced shadings. Yet remarkably, this film still looks like a production of its day—it retains that familiar Eastman color look. This is a very pleasing 4K presentation of a 1970s vintage film.

Primary audio on the 4K disc is offered in a new English Dolby Atmos mix that’s basically an object-based expansion of the already excellent 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track found on the Universal 100th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray from 2012 (now allowing height channels). The front soundstage is wider, with constant and highly atmospheric use of the surround channels to create a smoother and more complete “hemispheric” immersion in the film’s sonic environment. This isn’t flashy surround mixing—it’s very naturalistic. But it works beautifully, while preserving something of the original mono tonal quality. Bass is firm when needed, the dialogue is clean and clear at all times, and Williams’ score benefits well from the added space and lossless fidelity. Best of all, you’ll be pleased to know that the English 2.0 Mono DTS track found on the previous Blu-ray has carried over to the 4K disc, preserving the original theatrical sound experience. You also get Spanish 5.1 DTS and French 7.1 DTS-HD MA tracks. Likewise, optional subtitles are available in English SDH, Spanish, and French.

Edited by zen

On 5/31/2020 at 5:33 PM, randomGuy said:

Ratsasan (psychological thriller, tamil); below is link to Hindi dubbed version...

https://youtu.be/tAvZ0RBJJ-A

A friend recommended. I saw. Good one.

2 more recommended. Yet to see.

1. Maanagaram (thriller)

https://youtu.be/S3BqKKsSivc

2. Thiruttu Payale 2 (thriller)

https://youtu.be/vu64OJJlYN4

watch Evaru and goodachari 

Goodachari I watched till half way...

Evaru yet to watch, will watch

Yesterday watched maayaone... fantastic!! U-turn already watched.

Lucia, majili and psycho will watch

Watched aruvi, '96, dear comrade (not horror movies, but very good)

will recommend '96 to everyone, vijay Sethupathi

Few more watched... watched jersey (hindi dubbed on Telugu) movie on cricket, again not thriller.

Been watching   movies rated 7+ out of 10... good watching.

@coffee_rules @ankit 

Edited by randomGuy

6 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Few more watched

@coffee_rules @ankit 

96 i loved, watch premam if u havent...romantic film.

Aruvi im yet to

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

96 i loved, watch premam if u havent...romantic film.

Aruvi im yet to

Sure...premam noted.

Aruvi..one doesn't understand initially, atleast in the dubbed version I couldn't understand what's going on, ... but as movie gets midway I understood...it's on a serious topic, an unfortunate thing which happened to Aruvi and what she went through.

Edited by randomGuy

Few more watched... watched jersey (hindi dubbed on Telugu) movie on cricket, again not thriller.

Been watching   movies rated 7+ out of 10... good watching.

[mention=890]coffee_rules[/mention] @ankit 
Heard they messed up the hindi dubbed Jersey movie by editing and changing the order of few sequences.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

'96 if they remade in hindi or just advertised this dubbed version, would be a total hit pan India.

i hope they dont touch it 

already heard that ajay devgan is doing kaithi

And john abrahim is Ayyappanum Koshiyum

both will ruin those films, btw if u havent seen those 2 watch it. Kaithi is by same dir of Maanagaram

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

Sure...premam noted.

Aruvi..one doesn't understand initially, atleast in the dubbed version I couldn't understand what's going on, ... but as movie gets midway I understood...it's on a serious topic, an unfortunate thing which happened to Aruvi and what she went through.

there are many many great south films specially in recent years once u explore it you ll be delighted 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Really liked The Others (2001) especially when I first saw it, some may find it slow paced or predictable. The idea of creating a good horror movie without any scary faces or creatures, blood/gore, special effects & those sudden surprises demands a lot.