Why does Manish Pandey keep getting selected?

SecondSlip

This guy is a tried and tested failure. He is already 30 years old and hasn’t scored a half century since god knows when. 

He’s most likely going to be nowhere near the team for the next World Cup, so it makes no sense as to why he keeps getting selected. 

Players like Shubman Gill can give us much more value as a middle order batsman as compared to Pandey Ji! 

4 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

i agree with you but this is not the series to try the youngsters,we should have been playing them against WI and the lankas of the world.The reluctance to play youngsters is the Achilles heel of Kohli.

How many young players he has to play?Saini, Chahar, Iyer,Kulcha , Pant, Shaw, Mayank and more have made his debut under Kohli. Some have been injured, some have not performed so they have been in and out.

He is leading  the most one dimesional team in all formats and still India is top two teams in all formats,Do we have any multi faceted player who has been overlooked.

This guy today has done precisely what he is capable of.. 1980's rescue acts from 80/6 to some respectability.  Unfortunately these situations occur very rarely in Intl and more so in T20 world cups. 

Guy struggled to hit big shots even when Saini and Thakur could manage it. 

I would take him only when the pitches are not flat and that is rare.

Unpopular opinion, but I think he's good enough to be a member of the 15-man squad for the WC. Not starting XI necessarily, but a back-up middle order option who can play at 4,5 or 6.

Plus, he is arguably the best fielder in India and can change the game with brilliance on the field. Captaining Karnataka has brought about maturity in his game.

I am actually liking him off late. He can perform rescue acts like today. He is good in percentage cricket. Probably at the peak of his powers at the age of 30. He can rotate the strike very well with Iyer/kohli while chasing ( first 2 T20 games this series)
While setting a target he wont be needed before expending all hardiks, Pants, even Shardul. He is not bad for 5 ball 10 runs even in that situation.

4 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Unpopular opinion, but I think he's good enough to be a member of the 15-man squad for the WC. Not starting XI necessarily, but a back-up middle order option who can play at 4,5 or 6.

Plus, he is arguably the best fielder in India and can change the game with brilliance on the field. Captaining Karnataka has brought about maturity in his game.

Pandey's value is if Kohli gets injured. You can build an entire team innings around Pandey, also chasing below par scores, he is very good to have in the team.

But his value is that.. Im not sure over the long run he is the solution. Feels better suited to ODI cricket.

Manish Pandey is more suited to ODI . He actually is a pretty good player who could not do justice to his potential in the sporadic chances he got, needless to say TM did not help either. He never got backing after that century in Australia.

When it comes to T20 , he is more suited for 3-4, so he can be a squad player in that sense and be backup to Kohli Iyer. He is not somebody who will consistently offer high SR which is the need at 5,6,7 where I expect Pant, Pandya and similar players to be backed. Yesterday however it was a different scenario, due middle order harakiri, Manish got more balls to play and apply himself even at 6, so it was more of a typical ODI scenario where he came for the last 10-12 overs. This won't happen rverytime, Manish will hardly get 12-15 balls to play in T20s at 6 and will be expected to score 25-30 which is not his strength. 

Edited by RajBan

Pandey is a far superior bat than Iyer , he just looks bad to watch otherwise he’s clutch and even his power game has improved considerably. That said he should be no where close to the T20 team , he’s more suited for ODIs and worse he’s at 5 or 6 lol . 
Iyer on the other hand more I watch him , am convinced he’s not going to survive for long . Even few knocks he did well , the way he was exposing his stumps and swinging his bat blindly was tailenderish . We are going to waste another year on him though , considering he’s done alright so far and lack of other options 

2 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Pandey is a far superior bat than Iyer , he just looks bad to watch otherwise he’s clutch and even his power game has improved considerably.  

Pandey is a better player of pace

Iyer is a better player of spin

If it swings n seam dono marenge 

They both have their pros n cons but dont think they are far from each other. If its about being superior gill is way superior then both

If rahul is going to bat in middle these 2 will contest with pant who i feel in terms of ability way superior then both and wkt keeping gives him advantage.

22 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Pandey is a better player of pace

Iyer is a better player of spin

If it swings n seam dono marenge 

They both have their pros n cons but dont think they are far from each other. If its about being superior gill is way superior then both

If rahul is going to bat in middle these 2 will contest with pant who i feel in terms of ability way superior then both and wkt keeping gives him advantage.

Pandey is far superior against pace , but he’s very good against spin too . So I would put him a notch above Iyer which makes him a good fringe player to have .Like I said I don’t want either of them in T20s and for ODI till we find better options , pandey should be used as stop gap .