Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
maniac

TM might be morons but why arent youngsters grabbing their chances?

Recommended Posts

We all know guys like Kohli and Shastri have a lot of flaws and their negative qualities in leadership and management far outweigh their positives if they have any.

 

However having said that shouldn't the youngsters grab every shot they get in what is a crowded space in the Indian talent pool?

 

Sachin never put a foot wrong since his debut.

 

Ganguly and Dravid too made an impact right from the start.  Ganguly well he had to wait for 4 years after his not so impressive debut and there was a lot of criticism on him in 1996 but he evolved beyond that and made a statement in a tough overseas tour. In fact they grabbed their chances and leap frogged ahead of guys like Kambli, Manjrekar, Amre, Jadeja  and a few other high profile names of that time.

 

Bumrah was considered to be a LOI specialist but from test 1, he started performing to become the no.1 bowler in the world across all formats.

 

Kohli too grabbed every opportunity he got in a very crowded space. In fact when all eyes were on Rohit Sharma and to some extent on Pujara and Rahane he leap frogged all of them to become what he became.

 

Rohit Sharma too probably got one last opportunity when he was made to open and even though I will admit he did get a lot of backing, he did finally make his last chance count in a big way.

 

Same goes for Dhawan who made an impact in his first test and his first ODI tournament.

 

There are plenty of such examples.

 

However among recent youngsters we don't see the same hunger. The only guy I can think of in recent times who broke the barrier is Rahul when he made an impressive comeback and cashed in every opportunity he got in any position that he wasn't comfortable in. The other guy who makes his case strong is Aggarwal.

 

Pandya is still a prospect with a great potential after playing for 4 years as a regular every time he is in the scheme of things. We still talk about oh that knock or cameo or that 1 spell but by now we should be 100% sure that Pandya will be slotted in and start winning games like we talk about Rohit, Kohli, Bumrah etc.

 

Pant too while obviously he has been mishandled, no one can deny that he has had enough opportunities where he could have stood up and made an impact and shut down all doubters. He has been in multiple situation where he could have finished the game or in tests were he could have uplifted the team with an outstanding knock. While we still say Pant has been destroyed etc, there should be a question for Pant as well as why he is not making the most of his chances. As the saying goes, life gives you lemons but you need to make a lemonade out of it.

 

Shaw had 7 consecutive innings in Nzl where he showed flashes of brilliance, there are more doubts about his place than before rather than him sealing the deal and making a statement. Same goes for Vihari who had 4 innings. While he did well in 1, was that good enough to have a guaranteed slot?

 

Saini has had 0 wickets in Nzl ODI's and he is still backed but isn't the onus on him to pick a few wickets in the next few opportunities even though he is able to hit 140+ regularly?

 

Karun Nair is a tragic case of Indian cricket and it is unfair for a guy to be dropped 3-4 games after a 300 but had he scored even a 100 in one of those games, would there even be a doubt of his inclusion?

 

This might come across as blaming the victim rather than the perpetrator but in a dog eat dog world and with so much competition around the onus lies on the young players to grab every shot they get. The current TM doesn't back youngsters and it is a toxic environment, no doubt but isn't that when true talent will shine through?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Vijay Shankar is another guy. He came into contention when he kind of grabbed his chances and played a couple of cameo knocks in Nzl and vs Australia.

 

Once he was selected, he threw away a lot of chances in IPL and kind of brought a negative attention on himself. Had he carried over his momentum from those 2 knocks which were cameos at best to IPL , he wouldn't even be under a microscope in the WC. In the WC too he had a couple of situations where he could have played a long innings.

 

There are plenty of examples.

 

If Gill gets a run in 3 odis, he should hit 2 100's or a 150 or a man of the match performance or something.

 

impressive 30's or even 50's won't help him. While in a perfect world he should get an extended run based on his potential and his body of work that got him there, it still lies on him how he will make most of these opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, zen said:

What is the definition of success? 

1.Being indispensable due to consistent performances and match winning performances rather than being in the side because there are no alternatives.

 

2. Having a body of work including clutch match winning performances or back to the wall performances with bat or ball to have people sit up and take notice.

 

3. Having a short learning curve. Sachin, Bumrah, Kohli,Ganguly,Dravid plenty of such examples.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, maniac said:

1.Being indispensable due to consistent performances and match winning performances rather than being in the side because there are no alternatives.

 

2. Having a body of work including clutch match winning performances or back to the wall performances with bat or ball to have people sit up and take notice.

 

3. Having a short learning curve. Sachin, Bumrah, Kohli,Ganguly,Dravid plenty of such examples.

and these guys haven’t  done that? :hmmmm:

Edited by zen

Share this post


Link to post

Most players take 5-6 years - Zak, Rohit, yuvraj are prime examples now add Rahul 

  • Kohli, dhoni , bumrah were few who were consistent from start 
  • Dhawan to struggled when he went Sa n NZ in year 2013 itself and then even in Aus 
  • Shami to has came into his own in last 2 yrs
  • Dravid to lost his place 
  • Pujara 1st cycle of overseas was completely failure 

Some will start well and decline , some will start late and do well but most of player become consistent after 5-6 years  that when a player understands his game . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, maniac said:

Pandya is still a prospect with a great potential after playing for 4 years as a regular every time he is in the scheme of things. We still talk about oh that knock or cameo or that 1 spell but by now we should be 100% sure that Pandya will be slotted in and start winning games like we talk about Rohit, Kohli, Bumrah etc.

coz ppl look to much into stats

if yuvi, rohit wud have batted low as they were they wud have been only potential, they came into their own with batting promotion. 

Finding consistency with someone batting at 7 is laughable 

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, maniac said:

Shaw had 7 consecutive innings in Nzl where he showed flashes of brilliance, there are more doubts about his place than before rather than him sealing the deal and making a statement. Same goes for Vihari who had 4 innings. While he did well in 1, was that good enough to have a guaranteed slot?

they did score 50s so not bad either.....u expected them to avg 50 when none of the indian batsman avg more then 25 in test series

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, maniac said:

Saini has had 0 wickets in Nzl ODI's and he is still backed but isn't the onus on him to pick a few wickets in the next few opportunities even though he is able to hit 140+ regularly?

he isnt backed ...has been dropped for shardul again n again

n if someone like bumrah can go wkt less why not saini

 

U want them to be only successful thats not possible, failure is as important for any cricketer to grow 

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, maniac said:

Pant too while obviously he has been mishandled, no one can deny that he has had enough opportunities where he could have stood up and made an impact and shut down all doubters. He has been in multiple situation where he could have finished the game or in tests were he could have uplifted the team with an outstanding knock. While we still say Pant has been destroyed etc, there should be a question for Pant as well as why he is not making the most of his chances. As the saying goes, life gives you lemons but you need to make a lemonade out of it.

and the same guy has 2-100s overseas and how much chances ?? atleast let him play 50-60 ODIs or 35 test 

U think yuvraj singh was consistent ??? no he wasnt till 5-6th year 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, zen said:

and these guys haven’t  done that?

No.

 

There shouldn't even be a debate as to why Pant needs to go back to domestics or discuss flaws in his game. Even now we are talking about reasons why Pant should be backed rather than pulling up performances and saying, are you out of your mind to even suggest he should be dropped.

 

Pandya well at this point he gets a guaranteed slot because there is no other alternative. Just for argument sake let's say Saini starts picking up wickets in a bunch and then plays some cameos at the death, would we even think of Pandya as indispensable?

 

Had Pant or Pandya won us the semis or the match vs England, no one would even question their slots for the next 5 years. Pant has had opportunities at no.4 after a top order collapse where he could have made a 100 at least on 2-3 occasions. He had opportunities where he could have scored a 10* to get India over the line but he failed.

 

I am not limiting it to these guys but most youngsters that have played under this TM.

Share this post


Link to post

Also when u look at past example look at the backing sehwag, yuvi, bhajji, zak, rohit, jadeja, dhawan had from there captain. How can u even play ur natural game when ur captain doesnt back you ? Look at pant the guy is clearly in 2 minds....how can an attacking player bat with such mindset 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

coz ppl look to much into stats

if yuvi, rohit wud have batted low as they were they wud have been only potential, they came into their own with batting promotion. 

Finding consistency with someone batting at 7 is laughable 

Trust me If Pandya would have won us the semis, he would have been hailed greater than Kapil Dev on this very forum who scored 175 vs Zimbabwe in a league game where as Pandya did it against a strong Nzl in semis.

 

Rohit played 2-3 clutch knocks in his first year. WT20 vs SA, Pak, CB Series

 

Kohli had a break out year vs SA 1-2 years after debut where he was the premier bat among some big names. Even before that he was scoring against every opponent in every chance he got.

 

Yuvraj 1-2 years after debut played that knock in Natwest and then WC vs Pak and not to forget his debut knock.

 

Raina debuted in 2007, Had a stellar IPL. 2-3 years after debut he had a T20 100 in a WC,Played clutch knocks in 2 WC games, Played a back to the wall knock vs Pak Asia cup

 

Where are the clutch knocks or spells from the current youngsters? Stop making excuses

Edited by maniac

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, maniac said:

Trust me If Pandya would have won us the semis, he would have been hailed greater than Kapil Dev on this very forum who scored 175 vs Zimbabwe in a league game where as Pandya did it against a strong Nzl in semis.

did yuvi won u the final in Wc 2003 or 2007 Wc against SL that knocked us out ??

Did Rohit , dhawan won us semi in 2015 Wc 

 

 

Just now, maniac said:

Rohit played 2-3 clutch knocks in his first year. WT20 vs SA, Pak

Pandya played a clucth knock against Aus this Wc

He bowled the most clutch over against Bang in 2016Wc 

played a good knock in ct final.....cudnt alone have won it, u think india wud have won natwest had only yuvi scored ?

Just now, maniac said:

Kohli had a break out year vs SA 1-2 years after debut where he was the premier bat among some big names. Even before that he was scoring against every opponent in every chance he got.

Kohli , Kapil are once in a generation players 

Kohli contemporary like dhawan n rohit cant match him

Just now, maniac said:

Yuvraj 1-2 years after debut played that knock in Natwest and then WC vs Pak and not to forget his debut knock.

n wud he have won those games alone coz whole team scored check scorecard 

 

Just now, maniac said:

Raina debuted in 2007, Had a stellar IPL. 2-3 years after debut he had a T20 100 in a WC,Played clutch knocks in 2 WC games, Played a back to the wall knock vs Pak Asia cup

and pretty much soon lost it....high chance pandya will end with a better career

Just now, maniac said:

Where are the clutch knocks or spells from the current youngsters? Stop making excuses

clutch knock only look clutch when other in team perform. No one player of a team will ever win u a game 

So stop having bizaare expectation n study those clutch knock score card carefully

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Saini was the Man of the Series in the T20I series vs the WI.

 

Was dropped in the very next 3 T20I games.

 

Kuldeep took a 5 fer in the last test in Australia,. Doing that in a test in SENA is no joke for a spinner. Has not played s test since then.

 

Pant scored 2 centuries in the last 5 tests he played in the 2018-19 season. But was dropped for the 5 tests in the entire home season of 2019.

 

Nair was dropped in the very next test after scoring 303. And has played just 2 more tests in the next 40 months since then.

 

Vihari was the Man of the Series in tests in the WI. But Rahane was the default choice as the 5th batsman whenever we played 5 batters in the next 2 series. 

 

The policy of this team is clear.  A youngster will get chances only if an older player of similar profile is injured or unavailable. Current ability or form are not the considerations.

 

Whenever such things happen, youngsters are bound to lose confidence. 

 

 

I am not denying the TM and captain are inefficient. In a perfect world these guys should get backed, no one denies that. However I don't see any stand out knocks or spells by the crop. Just adequate performances. Having a toxic TM should give them more incentive to shine in match winning scenarios.

 

Pant 2 100's in Aus and Eng at this point have been reduced to a stat. They are incredible achievements no one is taking that away from him, however if he had scored even a 80 or a 100 in Nzl or even in Eng and Aus where the situation demanded a sedate 50, he didn't perform. Obviously not his fault entirely but there are not enough performances to call them out as match winners and it is not like they ever found them in such a scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Saini was the Man of the Series in the T20I series vs the WI.

 

Was dropped in the very next 3 T20I games.

 

Kuldeep took a 5 fer in the last test in Australia,. Doing that in a test in SENA is no joke for a spinner. Has not played s test since then.

 

Pant scored 2 centuries in the last 5 tests he played in the 2018-19 season. But was dropped for the 5 tests in the entire home season of 2019.

 

Nair was dropped in the very next test after scoring 303. And has played just 2 more tests in the next 40 months since then.

 

Vihari was the Man of the Series in tests in the WI. But Rahane was the default choice as the 5th batsman whenever we played 5 batters in the next 2 series. 

 

The policy of this team is clear.  A youngster will get chances only if an older player of similar profile is injured or unavailable. Current ability or form are not the considerations.

 

Whenever such things happen, youngsters are bound to lose confidence. 

 

 

Absolutely Those guys who performed haven't been given a proper run.  Kuldeep's 5fer in Aus was a big achievement for a spinner in his maiden inn in Aus where even Murali struggled.  Iyer after impressing vs SL in 2018 & SA Odis was dropped for no reason.  That saying Kuldeep needs to play Ist test in Aus this Aus summer or we got no chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, maniac said:

No.

 

There shouldn't even be a debate as to why Pant needs to go back to domestics or discuss flaws in his game. Even now we are talking about reasons why Pant should be backed rather than pulling up performances and saying, are you out of your mind to even suggest he should be dropped.

 

Pandya well at this point he gets a guaranteed slot because there is no other alternative. Just for argument sake let's say Saini starts picking up wickets in a bunch and then plays some cameos at the death, would we even think of Pandya as indispensable?

 

Had Pant or Pandya won us the semis or the match vs England, no one would even question their slots for the next 5 years. Pant has had opportunities at no.4 after a top order collapse where he could have made a 100 at least on 2-3 occasions. He had opportunities where he could have scored a 10* to get India over the line but he failed.

 

I am not limiting it to these guys but most youngsters that have played under this TM.

First you started with listing random performances across multiple formats of selected players whom you think as success but ignored multiple good performances by these players across multiple formats - Pant has 100s in Tests, good innings in LOIs (ODIs/T20s) .... Pandya has a 90 in SA, 100 in SL, 5er in Eng, along with some good performances in WC (including that over in T20 WC that won Ind the game vs BD, his big hitting in 2019 WC), performances vs Aus at home .... and Shaw has a test 100!

 

2nd, you contradict the 1 by saying if x-y had won Ind a SF, no one would question their performance for 5 years (now one match counts) - and when the guys you listed as success haven’t won Ind that many SFs or Fs (How many WC SF/Fs each of Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, etc., have won?)

 

and you also wrote the below:

 
”If Gill gets a run in 3 odis, he should hit 2 100's or a 150 or a man of the match performance or something”
 
Since you are comparing these guys to Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly - Do you know for e.g.  when Tendulkar hit his first ODI 100? 


 

 

Edited by zen

Share this post


Link to post

@maniac- for the clutch nonsense u talk about, u need to study a bit more about scorecard. No one player will win u a game or if it happens that wud be once in blue moon like kapil 175 . The xamples of yuvi, raina u gave just study the scorecard with the eye u talk about 

 

iwPkYys.png

 

 

Do u seen any one else performing above ??? unless u expected him to chase 320 alone 

 

 

srTUiy0.png

 

pjZiBAT.png

 

 

5vTeVzt.png

 

 

Now do u see why those knocks became clutch coz it had contribution from others. Keep just their innings and those matches wud be lost 

 

 

 

If u still wanna live in denial go ahead.....coz all these names ur talking pant,pandya, saini, shaw will end up with great career and this thread wud be a laughing stock 

Share this post


Link to post

Add  kohli captaincy to inconsistent years of rohit, zak, yuvi and i bet those guys wudnt even have performed that much what they did. 

A player goes in diff mental space in ground knowinh he has next 10 games secure then going in a match knowing even if he performs he can be dropped. 

Its no rocket science tht players under kohli in RCB has had similar issues 

 

Also u cant expect 2 humans beings to react same. To get better out of someone u need to back them and for some u need to push to the wall ....its called man management eg kohli himself he gets better when someone sledges him but not the same case with others.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, maniac said:

Trust me If Pandya would have won us the semis, he would have been hailed greater than Kapil Dev on this very forum who scored 175 vs Zimbabwe in a league game where as Pandya did it against a strong Nzl in semis.

 

Rohit played 2-3 clutch knocks in his first year. WT20 vs SA, Pak, CB Series

 

Kohli had a break out year vs SA 1-2 years after debut where he was the premier bat among some big names. Even before that he was scoring against every opponent in every chance he got.

 

Yuvraj 1-2 years after debut played that knock in Natwest and then WC vs Pak and not to forget his debut knock.

 

Raina debuted in 2007, Had a stellar IPL. 2-3 years after debut he had a T20 100 in a WC,Played clutch knocks in 2 WC games, Played a back to the wall knock vs Pak Asia cup

 

Where are the clutch knocks or spells from the current youngsters? Stop making excuses

None of them played under a moron captain for whom all that matters is his own stardom. Everything else is secondary. Yuvraj had Dada, Raina and Rohit made their debuts under Dravid/Dhoni 1.0, Kohli under Dhoni 1.0. Very supporting captains who knew how to groom young players


Had Kohli been captain during their time, all would finished their career after 25-30 ODIs.

Share this post


Link to post

I think what has happened in the recent years is that we have had too much talent coming through due to the ipl, strong infrastructure and money in the administration. Although we may think more is better, this leads to a condition called the ‘paradox of choice’. This is why sometimes when there r many food options, we end up eating less, or when we go to a dating app, we r ‘spoiled for choice’ and end up selecting lesser ppl. 
I think indian cricket is similar in that the selectors know that they don’t have to wait, or invest too much time in any youngster. They r all ‘replaceable’ and they can just find 5 ppl for each person they try. This ironically means no one is set and no ones getting enough chances 
 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, zen said:

and these guys haven’t  done that? :hmmmm:

Kinda agree with the OP here..

Even though I don't expect these guys to perform every time they come in, I would like to see at least 1-2 impact performances from Pant, Shaw, Saini in the formats that we are backing them.. I can't remember one LOI innings where Pant made an impact. Yeah, he got dropped unfairly after his concussion, but he's played 16 ODIs and 28 T20Is (and this isn't a small number), but there is not one defining innings that you can remember or call match winning.

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

@maniac- for the clutch nonsense u talk about, u need to study a bit more about scorecard. No one player will win u a game or if it happens that wud be once in blue moon like kapil 175 . The xamples of yuvi, raina u gave just study the scorecard with the eye u talk about 

 

 

 

Do u seen any one else performing above ??? unless u expected him to chase 320 alone 

 

Now do u see why those knocks became clutch coz it had contribution from others. Keep just their innings and those matches wud be lost 

 

 

 

If u still wanna live in denial go ahead.....coz all these names ur talking pant,pandya, saini, shaw will end up with great career and this thread wud be a laughing stock 

Who is in denial of Pant, Shaw, Gill or Saini's talent?

 

Also you keep bringing Pandya's spell against Bangladesh in 2016 as a clutch performance, it was a case of Bangladesh batsmen's stupidity that won India the game because they had almost sealed the deal in the first 3 balls which were pies. You are making it seem as if it was a 2 W's or 2 C's type of spell where he ran through the Bangladesh team with unplayable Yorkers/ bouncers.

 

Yuvraj and Kaif's knock in 2003 WC was against a strong bowling attack and even though they got a solid start, the match could have still gone either ways considering our inexperience low down the order and the potency of the attack who had a habit of running through the tail. That is called a clutch knock.  I am sorry but I don't even see 1 knock of such quality among the current crop under similar circumstances.

 

Can you give me an example?

 

Same goes for their 2002 Natwest final knock when the game was almost over.

 

As far as bowling there were doubts if  Bumrah would make the transition from LOI's and he did it like a champ. Apart from 1 test in Nzl, he has always delivered. When you reach that level, you can get a  pass for a few games or even series.

 

I have been a vocal critic of this TM from day 1 but sorry you can't put everything in their corner and run away from all responsibility.

 

In fact this is the test of character for any player to make an impact under such a TM.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Kinda agree with the OP here..

Even though I don't expect these guys to perform every time they come in, I would like to see at least 1-2 impact performances from Pant, Shaw, Saini in the formats that we are backing them.. I can't remember one LOI innings where Pant made an impact. Yeah, he got dropped unfairly after his concussion, but he's played 16 ODIs and 28 T20Is (and this isn't a small number), but there is not one defining innings that you can remember or call match winning.

Pant should ideally be batting in the top order. Scored a 40 not out of 28 balls in a T20 in NZ. Outside of that has good performances (65*, 58, ....) vs. WI .... In tests, he has 2 100s in SENA, a feat that no specialist WK has achieved  .... Shaw has test 100s

 

These guys have made impact despite the discussed challenges  :dontknow:

 

 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post

So @Ankit_sharma03 and @zen you guys are telling me that it is solely the captains responsibility and no fault of the player even though they fail to make an impact or find themselves in situations to close games?

 

I do agree if a player is insecure it does play on his mind this is where the TM comes in and they have been pathetic at it.

 

However when you are in the X1, if you find yourself in a 25/4, or 40 needed from 20 balls or defending a sub par target it is solely on the player to deliver or make his contribution.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, maniac said:

Who is in denial of Pant, Shaw, Gill or Saini's talent?

 

Also you keep bringing Pandya's spell against Bangladesh in 2016 as a clutch performance, it was a case of Bangladesh batsmen's stupidity that won India the game because they had almost sealed the deal in the first 3 balls which were pies. You are making it seem as if it was a 2 W's or 2 C's type of spell where he ran through the Bangladesh team with unplayable Yorkers/ bouncers.

for a wkt to ball the ball also have to be in slot specially the last one one where the batsman missed , many including stokes have fcked it up

dont u make shardul 20 runs sound as some great match winning knocks when they are cameos 

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

Yuvraj and Kaif's knock in 2003 WC was against a strong bowling attack and even though they got a solid start, the match could have still gone either ways considering our inexperience low down the order and the potency of the attack who had a habit of running through the tail. That is called a clutch knock.  I am sorry but I don't even see 1 knock of such quality among the current crop under similar circumstances.

sorry if u dont watch cricket cant help 

 

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

Can you give me an example?

sure manish pandey in Aus 

Iyer n KL has played a few in last year 

 

Shaw, gill, pant  havent even played enough and in case of pandya ur ego to to big to accept anything 

 

A sad reality is we play so many bilaterals now that knocks under pressure are considered to be in less relevant matches

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

Same goes for their 2002 Natwest final knock when the game was almost over.

game wasnt over it was just that we were use to thinking game is over when tendulkar gets out 

chasing 180 in natwest vs when pandya had to chase more 270 alone is a massive diff 

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

As far as bowling there were doubts if  Bumrah would make the transition from LOI's and he did it like a champ. Apart from 1 test in Nzl, he has always delivered. When you reach that level, you can get a  pass for a few games or even series.

n every player has had bumrah type career ??? As far as i remeber the last good fast bowler considered by India Zak took 7 years to came into his own 

 

ur telling me 2 career will have same progress ?

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

I have been a vocal critic of this TM from day 1 but sorry you can't put everything in their corner and run away from all responsibility.

 

In fact this is the test of character for any player to make an impact under such a TM.

then hold on to ur test coz these guys havent played enough. 

U have begged for rohit sharma getting more test chances which is around 30+ test now and ur patience with others is not even for 20 test or 50 odi 

Share this post


Link to post

Another example is Dube. He shouldn't have gotten a cap to begin with but when he did, he did get a good run. He was used as a 5th bowler when he just wasn't good enough to be the 5th bowler. He was then promoted to No.3 for a few games and did get a flukey 50. Regardless of the quality of the knock he did make the most of it. However it was what it was, he didn't have the skill or talent to sustain. However all he had to do is play another decent knock and would have been in contention. He blew it. So how can TM take the blame?

 

Yes selectors fault for picking him and TM fault for playing him, however him being discarded solely lies on him.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, maniac said:

So @Ankit_sharma03 and @zen you guys are telling me that it is solely the captains responsibility and no fault of the player even though they fail to make an impact or find themselves in situations to close games?

 

I do agree if a player is insecure it does play on his mind this is where the TM comes in and they have been pathetic at it.

 

However when you are in the X1, if you find yourself in a 25/4, or 40 needed from 20 balls or defending a sub par target it is solely on the player to deliver or make his contribution.

Captain’s responsibility is to ensure young players feel secure in the team, are clear about their roles so that they can play freely and to shield them from any criticism. Here we have a captain who publicly abuses young players, backs only his friends and yesmen, has created a clique and uses his media clout for targeted campaigns against youngsters he does not like. Natural for a young player to be mentally scared in such a team environment.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, maniac said:

So @Ankit_sharma03 and @zen you guys are telling me that it is solely the captains responsibility and no fault of the player even though they fail to make an impact or find themselves in situations to close games?

no im telling u have patience or else there is a guy on this forum who called KL not talented n suddenly has gone missing ....ull face a similar result.

A talent will find its way sooner or later 

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

I do agree if a player is insecure it does play on his mind this is where the TM comes in and they have been pathetic at it.

 

However when you are in the X1, if you find yourself in a 25/4, or 40 needed from 20 balls or defending a sub par target it is solely on the player to deliver or make his contribution.

dig deep 

our top 3 has been so good that 25/4 has comeup once in 10 matches that to in pressure games which by then they had no experience of . In 90s n 2000s it was more regular so players had regular experience of that situtation

 

Now remind me when did yuvi n rohit in their earlier career took team from 25/4 kind of situation to good situation . The 1st time yuvi did was in 2005 against Sa that means 5 years into his career

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Captain’s responsibility is to ensure young players feel secure in the team, are clear about their roles so that they can play freely and to shield them from any criticism. Here we have a captain who publicly abuses young players, backs only his friends and yesmen, has created a clique and uses his media clout for targeted campaigns against youngsters he does not like. Natural for a young player to be mentally scared in such a team environment.

No one is defending captain or coach. They have a lot of flaws. However if a player gets so mentally disturbed that he is not able to translate it when he gets an actual opportunity then it is the player's problem? How can you expect such a mentally weak players to start delivering in clutch situations miraculously if they have a better TM?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Another example is Dube. He shouldn't have gotten a cap to begin with but when he did, he did get a good run. He was used as a 5th bowler when he just wasn't good enough to be the 5th bowler. He was then promoted to No.3 for a few games and did get a flukey 50. Regardless of the quality of the knock he did make the most of it. However it was what it was, he didn't have the skill or talent to sustain. However all he had to do is play another decent knock and would have been in contention. He blew it. So how can TM take the blame?

 

Yes selectors fault for picking him and TM fault for playing him, however him being discarded solely lies on him.

a i dont get it how do u term it as fluke ,did he get runs by edges if not thats not fluke....he middled everything and he got his timing right and thats not fluke.

2nd he earned his chances only ur the one who doesnt follow A-cricket. We needed a power hitting option n who cud bowl so he was the one.

 

He wasnt upto the mark thats his problem 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, maniac said:

No one is defending captain or coach. They have a lot of flaws. However if a player gets so mentally disturbed that he is not able to translate it when he gets an actual opportunity then it is the player's problem? How can you expect such a mentally weak players to start delivering in clutch situations miraculously if they have a better TM?

 

 

like they have in past , most player perform with backing only. Its not about being weak...its about having a sureity to play ur own game. How many examples can u think of who performed under insecurity ...the last one i can think is dhawan in many who performs when he is about to get dropped. 

How can an attacking player play his natural game when he knws he can be dropped, why wud he attack rather he play for his runs. U cant tell an attacking player to play risk free cricket coz then its riskfree cricket

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

a i dont get it how do u term it as fluke ,did he get runs by edges if not thats not fluke....he middled everything and he got his timing right and thats not fluke.

2nd he earned his chances only ur the one who doesnt follow A-cricket. We needed a power hitting option n who cud bowl so he was the one.

 

He wasnt upto the mark thats his problem 

And that's the premise of this entire thread. Thank you very much

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, maniac said:

And that's the premise of this entire thread. Thank you very much

many players are given a chance who here can tell by assurity that player will end up as good or bad ? No one can predict how careers end , a selectors job is to give what team wants n reward perfomance also having an eye for talent. At the end it ll depend on player. For all the flak dube had a 50 n 1-2 good bowling spells in short career....

Rayudu was termed as next sachin did any thought that he wud look one of the weakest against pace n bounce like 90s batsman use to, cant blame selectors for that 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Maniac ji, two of your long backed players Ishant and Rohit took their own sweet time to start performing consistently and they could achieve that only because they were backed by TM. Each player has a different graph some start with a bang and then have a downward spiral before settling down. Some take a bit of time at start and then gradually become consistent.

 

No one in the history of the game has performed consistently when he has been in and out of team (barring injuries).

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, maniac said:

No one is defending captain or coach. They have a lot of flaws. However if a player gets so mentally disturbed that he is not able to translate it when he gets an actual opportunity then it is the player's problem? How can you expect such a mentally weak players to start delivering in clutch situations miraculously if they have a better TM?

 

 

There is a reason why even  legends like Sachin, Dada, Sehwag have publicly said how the toxic environment under Greg Chappel impacted their performance. All of them flourished under Kirsten immediately after Chappel’s exit. Will you call them mentally weak?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, maniac said:

So @Ankit_sharma03 and @zen you guys are telling me that it is solely the captains responsibility and no fault of the player even though they fail to make an impact or find themselves in situations to close games?

 

I do agree if a player is insecure it does play on his mind this is where the TM comes in and they have been pathetic at it.

 

However when you are in the X1, if you find yourself in a 25/4, or 40 needed from 20 balls or defending a sub par target it is solely on the player to deliver or make his contribution.

The issue is w/ creating unreasonable demands/expectations based on selecting some random innings of others  .... you want the inexperienced players to perform at 25/4 when it counts but don't see how the experienced players, who are secured of their place and batting positions, put Ind into that 25/4 situation just because they boost their averages by playing in the top order in bilaterals/group games 

 

 

Edited by zen

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Maniac ji, two of your long backed players Ishant and Rohit took their own sweet time to start performing consistently and they could achieve that only because they were backed by TM. Each player has a different graph some start with a bang and then have a downward spiral before settling down. Some take a bit of time at start and then gradually become consistent.

 

No one in the history of the game has performed consistently when he has been in and out of team (barring injuries).

Rohit and Ishant were backed my TM because within their first year or so, Rohit played an important part in a memorable WT20 win as a 20 year old youngster with some clutch knocks followed by CB series in Australia.

 

Ishant won a man of the series vs a super strong Australia, played an important part in the Perth test win and got a 5'fr vs Pak at home on a dead pitch.

 

They grabbed opportunities and showed they can win matches on their own which led the TM to back them and believed in their abilities.

 

That's what I am talking about. Everyone knew these guys can win matches and they have the solid concrete proof of that and got that extra backing.

 

Jadeja was the only guy in whom a TM showed blind faith and kept shoving him down our throats till he finally found his forte as a test spinner. That's a rare instance.

 

Can you name a performance by any among the current lot that rivals Rohit's knocks in WT20 or CB Series or Ishan'ts break through performances in 2008-2009?

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, zen said:

The issue is w/ creating unreasonable demands/expectations based on selecting some random innings of others  .... you want the inexperienced players to perform at 25/4 when it counts but don't see how the experienced players, who are secured of their place and batting positions, put Ind into that 25/4 situation just because they boost their averages by playing in the top order in bilaterals/group games 

 

 

Rahul an opener at all levels was pushed to 4 and 5. He didn't complain, blame top order or bicker, They started making him keep as well and guess what he turned in to the most valuable player in the current line up. it's not the top 3, not the bowlers or even the mythical match winning abilities of Pant and Pandya but it is Rahul who is the biggest asset at this moment.

 

That's what I call grabbing a chance with both hands.

 

Aggarwal had a lot of deficiencies in his game but he battled it out in Aus, Cashed every opportunity he got in India and made hay and even though as expected failed in Nzl, he was by no means the worst of our problems.

 

This is what I mean by grabbing chances.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Rahul an opener at all levels was pushed to 4 and 5. He didn't complain, blame top order or bicker, They started making him keep as well and guess what he turned in to the most valuable player in the current line up. it's not the top 3, not the bowlers or even the mythical match winning abilities of Pant and Pandya but it is Rahul who is the biggest asset at this moment.

 

That's what I call grabbing a chance with both hands.

 

Aggarwal had a lot of deficiencies in his game but he battled it out in Aus, Cashed every opportunity he got in India and made hay and even though as expected failed in Nzl, he was by no means the worst of our problems.

 

This is what I mean by grabbing chances.

An irrelevant example - KL Rahul has been playing international cricket since 2014, while Agarwal is 29 years old (not a youngster) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, zen said:

Pant should ideally be batting in the top order. Scored a 40 not out of 28 balls in a T20 in NZ. Outside of that has good performances (65*, 58, ....) vs. WI .... In tests, he has 2 100s in SENA, a feat that no specialist WK has achieved  .... Shaw has test 100s

 

These guys have made impact despite the discussed challenges  :dontknow:

I'm not questioning Tests.. it's LOIs where he hasn't made impact.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

I'm not questioning Tests.. it's LOIs where he hasn't made impact.

I listed his T20s performances too .... T20s are limited overs too, no? 

Share this post


Link to post

It's a mix of both - Youngsters not taking their chances fully but more importantly the team managment being totally senseless. Infact it likely with a better captain-coach combo like Ganguly-Wright some of the players would have played better with a proper backing and vision in place without any bias and randomness.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, express bowling said:

 

 

Iyer was averaging 40+ at a SR of 100+ when he was dropped from the ODI squad in 2018.

 

 

 

 

Imo this was one of the reasons we lost the world cup,someone like Iyer may look ugly but he can get the job done in testing times.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...