Is USA the new epicenter of Corona Virus

sarcastic

What do you expect to be the total cases from USA  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect to be the total cases of Corona in USA at the end of Pandemic

• less than 1 million
    • 1 - 5 million
    • More than 5 million

USA has now become the country with most positive cases of corona virus reported crossing both Italy and China.

It looks like in few more days, the number of cases in USA will be more than the cases in all of Europe.

Things are looking bleak as Trump is trying to relax the restrictions and reopen the economy by April 12. 

Edited by sarcastic

4 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

USA has now become the country with most positive cases of corona virus reported now crossing both Italy and China.

It looks like in few more days, the number of cases in USA will be more than the cases in all of Europe.

Things are looking bleak as Trump is trying to relax the restrictions and reopen the economy by April 12. 

Because testing in the US has ramped up.  China is lying about its numbers, other places don't have the resource to test as widely as the US - which is still playing catch up on testing.  

I expect total cases to be over a million, nation-wide, with a couple of massive clusters like NY/NJ crossing 200k.  As a NJ resident, I'm starting to get concerned.  I will have to ramp up my level of precaution, and am going to avoid going to public places over the next week or so at least.  

Grocery stores here are going to end up being major vectors of spreading this.  No staff is wearing masks, except in Indian grocery stores.  People are walking around without masks.  Its too casual.  And now NJ has jumped to 7000 cases today.  And its far from peak.

Edited by sandeep

9 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Because testing in the US has ramped up.  China is lying about its numbers, other places don't have the resource to test as widely as the US - which is still playing catch up on testing.  

I expect total cases to be over a million, nation-wide, with a couple of massive clusters like NY/NJ crossing 200k.  As a NJ resident, I'm starting to get concerned.  I will have to ramp up my level of precaution, and am going to avoid going to public places over the next week or so at least.  

Grocery stores here are going to end up being major vectors of spreading this.  No staff is wearing masks, except in Indian grocery stores.  People are walking around without masks.  Its too casual.  And now NJ has jumped to 7000 cases today.  And its far from peak.

What is going on in the US? 

I think there must be around 700k-800k cases in italy.

Edited by Autonomous

Looking forward to the antibodies test to get going so we can get a sense of how widespread this thing is. The clustered nature of the outbreak makes me doubt the theory that millions in the US/Spain/Italy have already had without realizing it. 

5 hours ago, Autonomous said:

What is going on in the US? 

I think there must be around 700k-800k cases in italy.

Its starting to get really bad in NYC.  Today one hospital ran out of room for dead bodies.  They rented a big cold storage truck to hold the dead.  

Not short on ventilators, but pretty much maxed out.  I am hoping that the lockdowns and the work from home stuff shows its impact and slows the infection rate down - we will know in another 10 days.  Right now US is at 83000 confirmed cases - and thats only the ones they tested.  The 10 to 14 day lag from when someone catches it, to when they show up in the hospital, means that these numbers will keep increasing for at least another week or so.  Hopefully after that it slows down.  But again, mask wearing has not become common here, so I think infection rates won't come down as quickly.  

20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Its starting to get really bad in NYC.  Today one hospital ran out of room for dead bodies.  They rented a big cold storage truck to hold the dead.  

Not short on ventilators, but pretty much maxed out.  I am hoping that the lockdowns and the work from home stuff shows its impact and slows the infection rate down - we will know in another 10 days.  Right now US is at 83000 confirmed cases - and thats only the ones they tested.  The 10 to 14 day lag from when someone catches it, to when they show up in the hospital, means that these numbers will keep increasing for at least another week or so.  Hopefully after that it slows down.  But again, mask wearing has not become common here, so I think infection rates won't come down as quickly.  

How many people have been tested in the US? 

What is their per day testing capacity?

3 hours ago, sarcastic said:

USA has now become the country with most positive cases of corona virus reported crossing both Italy and China.

Trump will do ghanta. Just because he wants to open the economy does not mean shyt. This lock down will go down for 2-3 months minimum. Most likely it won’t get better before the end of this year, if we are lucky. I think the world is *ed for a while. Economy will go into a Great Recession again, might even be a Great Depression if everyone is stuck at home.

Considering how it has spread in US. Do you guys believe in china's numbers? US reported 13k increase yesterday only. 

This comes from very few infections earlier in the month. Probably actual infected could be 300k in the US only right now. 

One thing going for chinese is that there was no influx of virus from immigrants/expats and they started taking serious measures by mid january. 

11 hours ago, Autonomous said:

How many people have been tested in the US? 

What is their per day testing capacity?

Reportedly 65000 per day, but they need 2 or 3 times that number at least.  

NY hospitals are preparing to attempt ventilator sharing for patients - a risky technique in which there is no way to control the amount of oxygen that each patient gets. But it may become necessary.  

NY Governor is projecting a need for 30,000 ventilators, and he only has 10 or 11,000.  That means 20,000 people would die due to equipment unavailability.  In America.  Although, a big chunk of those maybe would die even if they had a ventilator, this is a spectacular disaster that was avoidable if we had a half-decent President in charge.  

Trump's team was given a manual on what steps to take in a pandemic, with a Whitehouse agency set up to co-ordinate the response.  Trump's minions threw the manual onto a shelf, and fired the pandemic team.  If the US government had ordered the ventilators 4 weeks ago, they would have had 30,000 new ventilators by now, and possibly no shortage.  Not to mention, they could have done other things to provide for increased testing, ensuring PPE etc.  But instead Trump said he doesn't want to take steps because he doesn't want to make the stock market nervous.  Asshole. 

21 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Reportedly 65000 per day, but they need 2 or 3 times that number at least.  

NY hospitals are preparing to attempt ventilator sharing for patients - a risky technique in which there is no way to control the amount of oxygen that each patient gets. But it may become necessary.  

NY Governor is projecting a need for 30,000 ventilators, and he only has 10 or 11,000.  That means 20,000 people would die due to equipment unavailability.  In America.  Although, a big chunk of those maybe would die even if they had a ventilator, this is a spectacular disaster that was avoidable if we had a half-decent President in charge.  

Trump's team was given a manual on what steps to take in a pandemic, with a Whitehouse agency set up to co-ordinate the response.  Trump's minions threw the manual onto a shelf, and fired the pandemic team.  If the US government had ordered the ventilators 4 weeks ago, they would have had 30,000 new ventilators by now, and possibly no shortage.  Not to mention, they could have done other things to provide for increased testing, ensuring PPE etc.  But instead Trump said he doesn't want to take steps because he doesn't want to make the stock market nervous.  Asshole. 

He did ban flights from china and europe, this indicates that he was aware of the threat but his short-term or tunnel vision oriented dimensions lead to this. Stock market has crashed regardless. 

I don't think there is a complete lock down either?

12 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I don't think there is a complete lock down either?

Lockdowns or "Shelter in place" orders are issued at state levels - depends on which state you are in.  National order not issued.  Probably not needed at this point.  

Dude, I saw clips of interaction between journalists and Imran - the guy simply is unable to grasp the basic science in this pandemic.  Pakistan cannot afford to wait and delay curfew/lockdown until the number of sick and dead starts increasing.  By then it will be too late.  The biggest and best benefit you get from lockdowns, is by doing it as early as possible, so the first round of infected clusters, don't infect too many people.  If you wait until there are hundreds of sick people, by that time, you already have tens of thousands of infected people, and its already too late.  

I do not doubt Imran's intentions - he clearly wants a good outcome for his country and cares about his people and the poor.  But he is not fit for leadership - he does not understand basic science, and public policy.  

I live in UK. I know that my family had flu in Feb. It was bad. Then again my whole family had flu in middle March.  It was very minor apart from my wife.  We all had minor cough, reddish eye, lil temperature (including kids). My wife had all of below symptoms.

1. Reddish eye. Eye burninig sensation (5 days)

2. Fever and Shivering (2+ days)

3. Constant dry coughing For 8 days (after first 3 days which had fever and shivering). Coughing was allmost every minute all day long on its peak  3 days.

Now, I canonly guess that it was corona virus. I am not certain as we were never tested.

I know a number of families which had similar experience.

Edited by mishra

50 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Lockdowns or "Shelter in place" orders are issued at state levels - depends on which state you are in.  National order not issued.  Probably not needed at this point.  

Dude, I saw clips of interaction between journalists and Imran - the guy simply is unable to grasp the basic science in this pandemic.  Pakistan cannot afford to wait and delay curfew/lockdown until the number of sick and dead starts increasing.  By then it will be too late.  The biggest and best benefit you get from lockdowns, is by doing it as early as possible, so the first round of infected clusters, don't infect too many people.  If you wait until there are hundreds of sick people, by that time, you already have tens of thousands of infected people, and its already too late.  

I do not doubt Imran's intentions - he clearly wants a good outcome for his country and cares about his people and the poor.  But he is not fit for leadership - he does not understand basic science, and public policy.  

I agree with you. 

Sindh government and Murad Ali Shah is leading the charge in Pakistan. 

Imran is not even interested in having a discussion with Shehbaz Sharif or PPP.

2 minutes ago, mishra said:

I live in UK. I know that my family had flu in Feb. It was bad. Then again my whole family had flu in middle March.  It was very minor apart from my wife.  We all had minor cough, reddish eye, lil temperature (including kids). My wife had all of below symptoms.

1. Reddish eye. Eye burninig sensation (5 days)

2. Fever and Shivering (2+ days)

3. Constant dry coughing For 8 days (after first 3 days which had fever and shivering). Coughing was allmost every minute all day long on its peak  3 days.

Now, I canonly guess that it was corona virus. I am not certain as we were never tested.

I know a number of families which had similar experience.

Seemingly there are 2-3 types of this virus. 

Very mild - Strong

2 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Very mild - Strong

Not really - it depends on whether the virus reaches your lungs.  If it doesn't, you can recover from it in about 10 days like a bad flu.  If it reaches the lungs and spreads there - ventilator time, and from that point, the odds of fatality are really high, regardless of how healthy or young you are.

I have instructed everyone in my family to start a turmeric regimen - it may boost the health and immunity levels of your respiratory tract - definitely won't hurt - every little bit helps.  1 heaping teaspoon turmeric, pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons warm milk - before you go to bed.  Theory is that turmeric will coat your throat and do its thing.  

I have recurring nasal allergies and frequently suffer from congestion - which can turn into sore throat via nasal drip.  This turmeric milk is the most effective way for me to cure it.  I hate to sound like a crazy grandma, but I think it definitely won't hurt, and if in the rare event that you get infected, you would wish that you had done what you could to give yourself the best chance...

8 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I agree with you. 

Sindh government and Murad Ali Shah is leading the charge in Pakistan. 

Imran is not even interested in having a discussion with Shehbaz Sharif or PPP.

why did he re-arrest Abbasi?  

Imran's out of his depth here, but he's trying.  The one thing I will say, the guy is nothing if not sincere.  But leadership and the country needs more than good intentions.  It requires, demands sound thinking, and pro-active leadership.  Regretfully for  Pakistan, I don't think he has what it takes.

9 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Very mild - Strong

Yes, You can have Lewis Hamilton level. ie, Dont even realise. (https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2020/03/21/f1-lewis-hamilton-idris-elba-sophie-trudeau-covid-19-exposure-coronavirus-update/)

You can have Allesandro Favali level. ie Do realise  but get better even before testing is done (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51961429)

You can have serious coughing level. ie, You know you have something exactly matching above + ones admitted.

Then you can be level 4 , Admitted and survived

Level 5. Admitted and didnt survive.

16 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Not really - it depends on whether the virus reaches your lungs.  If it doesn't, you can recover from it in about 10 days like a bad flu.  If it reaches the lungs and spreads there - ventilator time, and from that point, the odds of fatality are really high, regardless of how healthy or young you are.

I have instructed everyone in my family to start a turmeric regimen - it may boost the health and immunity levels of your respiratory tract - definitely won't hurt - every little bit helps.  1 heaping teaspoon turmeric, pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons warm milk - before you go to bed.  Theory is that turmeric will coat your throat and do its thing.  

I have recurring nasal allergies and frequently suffer from congestion - which can turn into sore throat via nasal drip.  This turmeric milk is the most effective way for me to cure it.  I hate to sound like a crazy grandma, but I think it definitely won't hurt, and if in the rare event that you get infected, you would wish that you had done what you could to give yourself the best chance...

How long does it take for things to turn ugly once it reaches lungs?