Which country has the best name?

zen

Besides the name of your country/countries, which country has the best name? Below one of my posts for reference:

A quick toponymy to see how many countries have named themselves: 

• A topographic feature: Lake Chad -> Chad, Montenegro (Black Mountain), Iceland, Honduras (Deep Water)
  • Tribes: Franks -> France, Schwyz -> Switzerland, Vitali -> Italy 
  • Older identity and/or preferring endonyms over English name: Ceylon -> Sri Lanka, Gold Coast -> Ghana
  • People's attributes: Pakistan (Land of the pure), Burkina Faso (Land of honest people), Barbados (Bearded ones), Tobago (people stuffed leaves in pipes to smoke Tobacco)
  • Land attributes: Costa Rica (The rich coast), Nippon (The land of the rising sun), Norway (Northern way)
  • Animal attributes:  Sierra Leone (Lion Mountains), Singapore (Lion City)
  • Leaders/Historical/Mythical figures: Bolivia (Simon Bolivar), Philippines (King Philips of Spain), Israel (Jacob), Mauritius (Maurice of Nassau),  The Solomon Island (Biblical King Solomon), America (Amerigo Vespucci)

2 minutes ago, zen said:

which country are your from? :hmmm: .... the name should not be of your country 

I did that to troll you. :p:

Papua New Guinea

I like the level of detail here, the insistence on the usage of the word 'new'. Lest we mistake it for Papua Old Guinea.

Edited by Mariyam

5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I did that to troll you. :p:

Papua New Guinea

I like the level of detail here, the insistence on the usage of the word 'new'. Lest we mistake it for Papua Old Guinea.

If I am not mistaken, "Guinea" = black people in some language. Because that reminded of people of West Africa, probably Papua New Guinea 

22 minutes ago, zen said:

If I am not mistaken, "Guinea" = black people in some language. Because that reminded of people of West Africa, probably Papua New Guinea 

"Guinea" was used to refer pejoratively to Italians in the early 20th century US.  Back when Italians were the mexicans of the time.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

"Guinea" was used to refer pejoratively to Italians in the early 20th century US.  Back when Italians were the mexicans of the time.

From the ones from the Roman Empire to Guinea, quite a journey for them! .... Circling back to Guinea, it is the west coast of Africa (Gulf of Guinea) iirc 

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

Brasil :hatsoff:

Honourable mentions - Azerbaijan :p: , Belgium, Vietnam, Tanzania...

Brazil is a cool name .... probably refers to the place where the Brazilwood comes from

Vietnam, probably means people of the south 

Tanzania = Tanzi something + Zanzibar (when the two merged) 

Edited by zen