Which was the best West Indies team led by Clive Lloyd?

Which was the better West Indies team ?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the better West Indies team ?

• West Indies team 1980
    • West Indies team 1984

I am here pitting rest of the World teams against Clive Lloyd's West Indies in both 1980 and 1984.I have selected different sides for 1980 and 1984.I wish to asess which was the better West Indian team.

West Indies team 1980

Greenidge

Haynes

Viv Richards

Kalicharan

Clive Lloyd

Lawrence Rowe

Deryk Murray

Joel Garner

Andy Roberts

Michael Holding

Colin Croft.

Rest of the World team of 1980

Gavaskar

Barry

Ian Chappell

Greg Chappell

Vishwanath

Wasim Raja

Ian Botham

Imran Khan

Alan Knott

Dennis Lillee

Derek Underwood

With its lethal fire power as well as batsmen who would rip the heart  out of any bowling attack I would expect the Calypsos to simply roll over a world XI.

West Indies team 1984

Greenidge

Haynes

Viv Richards

Richie Richardson

Clive Lloyd

Larry Gomes

Jeff Dujon

Malcolm Marshall

Joel Garner

Andy Roberts

Michael Holding

Rest of the World Team of 1984

Gavaskar

Keppler Wessels

Alan Border

Mohinder Amarnath

Dilip Vengsarkar

Alan Lamb

Kapil Dev

Richard Hadlee

Syed Kirmani

Abdul Qadir

Geoff Lawson

Imran Khan suffered a stress fracture so was unavailabie in period when Lloy'ds team established untold supremacy in 1984.I would have backed Lloyd's men to simply walk over a rest of the world XI of that era.Loss of many greats in that time like Lillee,Chappell brothers as well as absence of Imran as a pace bowler.

Somehow I still think 1979-80 team was ahead by a slender margin with Viv Richards in better form,Andy Roberts more lethal,Holding quicker and having Kalicharan who was technically the best left-handed batsmen of his era.I feel it faced better opposition than the 1984 team which beat England without batsmen like Gooch and Boycott or Australia without the Chappell brothers or Lillee for that matter.

Edited by Harsh Thakor

One of the master stroke by Lloyd was him giving debut to Michael Holding and backing Holding even though he did not pick any wicket in his debut test. His  eye for talent was seen in this selection. Out of the 3 WC he led WI in, he won two in 1975 and 1979. Under his captaincy WI were the most dominating team in Test and also in ODI format.  Iirc Lillee and Thomson had wrecked havoc and were major contributors to hand Lloyd his first test series defeat as captain.  The captaincy of Lloyd was also troubled by Kerry Packer's World series as some of the players were dropped by WICB. Croft was one of those.  More than Lloyd's captaincy it was the world's all time best pace bowlers he has made him successful as well as batsmen like Grenidge and Richards.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, Straight Drive said:

One of the master stroke by Lloyd was him giving debut to Michael Holding and backing Holding even though he did not pick any wicket in his debut test. His  eye for talent was seen in this selection. Out of the 3 WC he led WI in, he won two in 1975 and 1979. Under his captaincy WI were the most dominating team in Test and also in ODI format.  Iirc Lillee and Thomson had wrecked havoc and were major contributors to hand Lloyd his first test series defeat as captain.  The captaincy of Lloyd was also troubled by Kerry Packer's World series as some of the players were dropped by WICB. Croft was one of those.  More than Lloyd's captaincy it was the world's all time best pace bowlers he has made him successful as well as batsmen like Grenidge and Richards.

Would West Indies have beaten a rest of the world XI?i In1980 and 1984?