MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli didn't support me like Sourav Ganguly did: Yuvraj Singh

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/news/ms-dhoni-virat-kohli-didnt-support-me-like-sourav-ganguly-did-yuvraj-singh/amp_articleshow/74925136.cms

MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli didn't support me like Sourav Ganguly did: Yuvraj Singh

IANS | Updated: Apr 1, 2020, 13:55 IST

NEW DELHI: Former all-rounder 

Yuvraj Singh

said that he got a lot more support from 

Sourav Ganguly

in comparison to 

MS Dhoni

and 

Virat Kohli

Yuvraj made his debut under Ganguly's captaincy against Australia in the Champions Trophy in 2000 and also played under 

Rahul Dravid

Virender Sehwag

Gautam Gambhir

, Dhoni and Kohli at different times in his career.

"I have played under Sourav and had a lot of support from him. Then Mahi took over. It's a difficult choice to make between Sourav and Mahi. I have more memories of time under Sourav because of the support he gave me. I didn't have that kind of support from Mahi and Virat," Yuvraj said in an interview to Sportstar.

The former India all-rounder played 304 ODIs, 110 of those under Ganguly's captaincy and 104 under Dhoni's leadership.

The elegant left-hander believes the current Indian team needs a "good guy" who can talk to the players about their off-field issues so that their performance on the field improves.

Yuvraj, who retired last year, said the Virat Kohli-led team needs someone like Paddy Upton who can talk to players about life and other off-field issues. Upton served as the mental health and conditioning coach of the Indian cricket team during 

Gary Kirsten

's tenure as coach.

"This Indian team needs a good guy who can talk to them on matters off the field. Their off-the-field issues reflect on their on-field performances. What they need is a psychologist of authority who can guide them in personal issues," Yuvraj said.

"Make them better persons. We had Paddy Upton who would discuss other issues of life, like fear of failure, and it helped us so much. The team probably needs someone like him," he added.

The 38-year-old, while speaking about the current lockdown, said it was heart-breaking to see so many people die because of 

coronavirus

"I think this has its advantages and disadvantages. It's heart-breaking to see so many people dying all over the world. It is spreading so fast. People, rather than panicking, should visit the official health sites (WHO and Union Health Ministry) to really understand what the disease is," said Yuvraj.

"In my case of cancer, I was also very scared in the beginning but then I got the right information, went to the right doctor and hospital. Please understand that these government and official health sites will guide you accurately because there is rampant misinformation about the virus on social media. First of all, people need to stop reading (social media) and look for correct information," he added while urging people to stay away from spreading rumours.

I think all 3 of them supported him through and through. Dhoni even had him in the team after his battle with cancer in 2014 T20 world cup where he single handedly lost the final for us. Kohli also had him in CT 2017 final where he clearly showed he was over the hill and fell to a rookie spinner after failing to read a straight ball. 

All said and done, Yuvraj is a champion player and proved to be irreplaceable. How England are playing now, he played like that between 2008 -11. One of the greatest we ever produced.

yuvi was not in form before 2011 Wc ...dhoni supported him. Infact that CB series in aus 2007-08 he was was struggling whole aussie tour yet dhoni supported him.

When ur not in form a captain support you but once u loose it no captain would, captain has to run a team not do charity. Kkohli bought him isnt that enough. He was struggling with running n fielding which can cost team around 20-30 runs, infact it did in CT 2017 final, i remember yuvi misfielding 12-13 runs and wasnt able to rotate strike with dhawan as well 

Saurav did a spectacular job by backing him in his young days,under Dhoni he found his peak years,Dhoni watched his back even when he made comeback in 2012, ironically Kohli supported him in his decline as Kohli takes special liking towards oldies ,had Yuvi been in 20s Kohli would have treated him the same way he has treated Pant and other kids

Thing is Kohli loves grey beards,he feels secure among them

41 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Another thing, has Ganguly paid them to overestimate his captaincy in every interview. If you listen to thes guys, it would seem Ganguly was the only captain in history of cricket, who gave chances to youngsters. 

Dravid was India's finest captain no one talks about, even  genesis of Yuvi the ODI legend began during Dravid's captaincy.

I think it is just a case of good old days syndrome. Time softens memories and people only remember good things about the distant past. 

Yuvi made his debut under Ganguly as a talented fast tracked youngster so will get the support .... Under Dhoni and Kohli, Yuvi was a senior player who would need to step up and look to support others including youngsters 

our seniors not retiring when they should is not something new, if he had his way he would still be hanging on like a limpet not unlike Dhoni. The likes of Dravid and Ganguly are exceptions in India and perhaps the subcontinent too. Sangakkara is the other one who could have played on.

The mental health bit is interesting, praveen kumar said he almost committed suicide recently because he didn't know what to do with his life after cricket and was cut off from his roots in Meerut because he moved away from the joint family he was living in, into a much bigger house. I do believe one of the reasons our team did well under Dhoni in LOIs was because he himself was a very serene and unflappable personality which transferred to the entire team. For all the blustering and machismo, you don't have that same confidence when Kohli is captaining in an important game. 

Seems like a desperate effort from yuvi to stay in news, I wonder if Ganguly would have supported a huffing and puffing yuvraj of WT20 2014, yuvi should accept the fact that he was a glorious player at his peak and a mediocre one towards the fag end of his career, he should keep his mouth shut and focus on life outside cricket.

I like Yuvi but he has became bit of a whiner lately. He needs to accept humbly that he is done and focus on something else like commentary, coaching etc. Most his contempories have already found a job after cricket. Yuvraj was never the same batsman since 2011 world cup and he should consider himself fortunate to have played for so long. Kohli even took him to Champions Trophy in 2017 when he was just a baggage. Likes of Sehwag & Gambhir never got the same support that Yuvraj did.

5 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Another thing, has Ganguly paid them to overestimate his captaincy in every interview. If you listen to thes guys, it would seem Ganguly was the only captain in history of cricket, who gave chances to youngsters. 

Dravid was India's finest captain no one talks about, even  genesis of Yuvi the ODI legend began during Dravid's captaincy.

yup chappell main logic behind throwing ganguly from apart from their fight was due to him players like yuvi were batting low in the order , the dropped ganguly n gave yuvi 4-5 position and that was the beginning of yuvi peak . Infact chappell advised yuvi to focus on playing in V at start

Yograj Singh: Chappell a big reason behind Yuvraj’s success

Yograj Singh says that his son Yuvraj Singh told him that Chappell has been guiding him the way the he (Yograj) used to in his childhood days.

Talking to Mumbai Mirror, Yuvraj�s father Yograj Singh said, �The appointment of Greg Chappell has been one of the major reasons behind the present Yuvi.
�Chappell is a very disciplined and committed human being. And of late these attributes of Yuvi�s personality have come to the fore and that�s excellent. Yuvi tells me that Chappell has been guiding him similar to how I used to do that during his childhood. I wish Chappell stays at the helm for the next ten years.�

link- http://blogs.rediff.com/multy/2006/04/17/yograj-singh-chappell-a-big-reason-behind-yuvrajs-success/

but then even he flipped