Picking Kohli Over Badri ended My Career - Vengsarkar

Khota

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/picking-kohli-ended-my-career-vengsarkar/article22986677.ece

Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar has claimed that he lost his job as chairman of selectors for picking Kohli over Tamil Nadu’s domestic heavyweight S. Badrinath in 2008, courtesy the then BCCI secretary N. Srinivasan.

“There was an Emerging Players tournament in Australia (for) youngsters — four A-teams were there — India, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand,” Vengsarkar recalled at a programme organised by the Mumbai Marathi Patrakar Sangh.

“Me and my colleagues decided that we will take the U-23 boys and at that time we had won the U-19 World Cup, Virat Kohli was the U-19 captain and I selected him in the team,” he added.

Vengsarkar claimed that Dhoni and coach Gary Kirsten were sceptical about the selection. The straight-talking former batsman said he eventually fell out of favour with Srinivasan, something that cost him his job.

“He (Kohli) was technically sound and I thought he should be played. We were going to Sri Lanka and I felt that this is the ideal situation that he should be in the team. My four colleagues said ‘As you say Dilip Bhai’,” he said, referring to the other members of the selection panel.

“However, Gary and Dhoni were saying ‘No, we haven’t seen him and we will continue with the same team’. I told them ‘You haven’t seen him but I have seen and we have to take this boy’,” Vengsarkar said.

Even Kohli, in the past, has spoken publicly about how Vengsarkar landed in Australia during an A-team tournament and told the current India captain to open the innings. Kohli took up the challenge to score a hundred and was selected in the Indian team for the tour of Sri Lanka.

‘Colonel’, as he is fondly called, alleged that he sensed a general uneasiness with Kohli’s selection as Badrinath played IPL for Chennai Super Kings, which was then owned by erstwhile secretary Srinivasan.

“I knew there was South’s Badrinath, who was playing for N. Srinivasan’s CSK. When Kohli was preferred over Badrinath, Srinivasan was not happy. He got fed up as his player was kept out and he questioned me as to how I didn’t pick Badri? I replied that I had gone to watch the Emerging Tour in Australia and found this boy Kohli exceptional.

“So I have picked him in the team and Srinivasan reasoned that Badrinath had scored 800 runs for Tamil Nadu. I told him he will get a chance and an angry Srinivasan asked “when he will get a chance, he is 29-years-old? I replied: ‘Whenever the time comes’.”

Vengsarkar said soon after, he was replaced by Kris Srikkanth as chairman of selectors. “Srinivasan then made Srikkanth the chairman and I was sent home. That was the end of my career as a selector.”

ADVERTISING
21 minutes ago, nevada said:

Didn't he also get rid of Jimmy Amarnath from selector post for recommending Dhoni's ouster as captain after the disasters in Eng and Aus?

Amarnath was no nice guy as well. He recommended Gambhir to replace Dhoni as captain even though GG was going through a bad patch throughout that year. He is also a regionalistic ahole who prefers delhi players.

1 hour ago, bowl_out said:

Still Badri barely got any backing during that time despite Srikanth and Srini at the helm.. got to play less than 10 international games.. 

he did waste a couple of opportunities though.

Badri was put in grade b despite not doing anything special. Srikant kept on praising him over other players in every interview he gave. If this is not backing, then I don't know what is.

On 4/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, Real McCoy said:

Amarnath was no nice guy as well. He recommended Gambhir to replace Dhoni as captain even though GG was going through a bad patch throughout that year. He is also a regionalistic ahole who prefers delhi players.

At least he wanted to change the status quo. They could have tried other options if Gambhir didn't work out. 

The only good thing that came out of Lodha commission was that it ended the stranglehold of CSK on the Indian team.

Vengsarkar and TN players don’t go well together. When their paths cross, something happens. Back when he was a player, I remember when TA Sekhar got a game against Pakistan. Sekhar bowled really well but Vengsarkar dropped catches in the slips. Sekhar didn’t last too long. Also during the time Vengsarkar played there was a player by the name of TE Srinivasan. Decent player who didn’t get many chances. Vengsarkar, on the other hand,took several years before his career got going. Now, this episode, where Vengsarkar’s career as a selector supposedly ends because he backs Badrinath- another TN player.

6 hours ago, retired_hurt said:

Badri was put in grade b despite not doing anything special. Srikant kept on praising him over other players in every interview he gave. If this is not backing, then I don't know what is.

I don't care much for grades.. he played 2 Tests.. and that's atrocious for someone that averaged 60+ for most of his domestic career, particularly when he gets accused of getting favoritism

Edited by bowl_out
4 hours ago, bowl_out said:

I don't care much for grades.. he played 2 Tests.. and that's atrocious for someone that averaged 60+ for most of his domestic career, particularly when he gets accused of getting favoritism

And who would he have replaced? His prime years coincided with fab 4, so it was natural he wasn't going to get many chances. Doesn't hide the fact that whatever chances he got were because of CSK lobby.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:34 PM, Khota said:

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/picking-kohli-ended-my-career-vengsarkar/article22986677.ece

Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar has claimed that he lost his job as chairman of selectors for picking Kohli over Tamil Nadu’s domestic heavyweight S. Badrinath in 2008, courtesy the then BCCI secretary N. Srinivasan.

“There was an Emerging Players tournament in Australia (for) youngsters — four A-teams were there — India, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand,” Vengsarkar recalled at a programme organised by the Mumbai Marathi Patrakar Sangh.

“Me and my colleagues decided that we will take the U-23 boys and at that time we had won the U-19 World Cup, Virat Kohli was the U-19 captain and I selected him in the team,” he added.

Vengsarkar claimed that Dhoni and coach Gary Kirsten were sceptical about the selection. The straight-talking former batsman said he eventually fell out of favour with Srinivasan, something that cost him his job.

“He (Kohli) was technically sound and I thought he should be played. We were going to Sri Lanka and I felt that this is the ideal situation that he should be in the team. My four colleagues said ‘As you say Dilip Bhai’,” he said, referring to the other members of the selection panel.

“However, Gary and Dhoni were saying ‘No, we haven’t seen him and we will continue with the same team’. I told them ‘You haven’t seen him but I have seen and we have to take this boy’,” Vengsarkar said.

Even Kohli, in the past, has spoken publicly about how Vengsarkar landed in Australia during an A-team tournament and told the current India captain to open the innings. Kohli took up the challenge to score a hundred and was selected in the Indian team for the tour of Sri Lanka.

‘Colonel’, as he is fondly called, alleged that he sensed a general uneasiness with Kohli’s selection as Badrinath played IPL for Chennai Super Kings, which was then owned by erstwhile secretary Srinivasan.

“I knew there was South’s Badrinath, who was playing for N. Srinivasan’s CSK. When Kohli was preferred over Badrinath, Srinivasan was not happy. He got fed up as his player was kept out and he questioned me as to how I didn’t pick Badri? I replied that I had gone to watch the Emerging Tour in Australia and found this boy Kohli exceptional.

“So I have picked him in the team and Srinivasan reasoned that Badrinath had scored 800 runs for Tamil Nadu. I told him he will get a chance and an angry Srinivasan asked “when he will get a chance, he is 29-years-old? I replied: ‘Whenever the time comes’.”

Vengsarkar said soon after, he was replaced by Kris Srikkanth as chairman of selectors. “Srinivasan then made Srikkanth the chairman and I was sent home. That was the end of my career as a selector.”

ADVERTISING

Good he should have never picked him....

12 hours ago, retired_hurt said:

At least he wanted to change the status quo. They could have tried other options if Gambhir didn't work out. 

The only good thing that came out of Lodha commission was that it ended the stranglehold of CSK on the Indian team.

He is not changing the status quo. He wants another state/city to dominate. Things are not that simple that we could change captains at will. If it was so, we would resemble pak cricket team. Lodha committee is a sham. BCCI is a private body. How come SC can form a committee on this. SC must do its main job rather than interfering in trivial issues like cricket and state customs like jallikattu and sabarimala issue. SC is a fail :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

He is not changing the status quo. He wants another state/city to dominate. Things are not that simple that we could change captains at will. If it was so, we would resemble pak cricket team. Lodha committee is a sham. BCCI is a private body. How come SC can form a committee on this. SC must do its main job rather than interfering in trivial issues like cricket and state customs like jallikattu and sabarimala issue. SC is a fail :facepalm:

He is simply dropping a non performing captain. But Bcci president who has a vested interest in that captain instead sacked the chief selector and brought in a selector who maintained the status quo and our team continued to suffer.

I am not defending the legality of Lodha committee here but I am happy it helped get rid of Srini and Dhoni nexus.