Ankit_sharma03

Pick ur ATG ODI sides for- 1975-90s vs 1990s-2005 vs 2005-2020 vs Future team and Decide who ll win?

Pick ur ATG ODI sides for- 1975-90s vs 90s-2005 vs 2005-2015 vs Future 

Rules -

• If a player has played in both timelines See in which he played more games or had his peak 
  • If there is a case like Lee who almost played similar number of games n had similar stats then he can go either where
  • No option decide clear cut one player

Here is mine- 

Team A (1975-90s) Team B (90-2005) Team C (2005-2020) D- Future

1 Gordon greendige Gilly Rohit Roy
2 desmond haynes Sachin Watson Bairstrow
3 Zaheer abbas Ponting Kohli De kock
4 Viv richards Lara ABDV KL Rahul
5 Clive lyod bevan Yuvraj singh Ben stokes
6 imran khan Symonds Hussey Nicholas pooran
7 kapil dev Klusner Dhoni Butler
8 Rodney marsh Warne Imran Tahir Rashid khan
9 Qadir Donald Lee Rabadda
10 Hadlee wasim Starc Archer
11 Joel Garner Mcgrath Bond Bumrah

Extra Dean jones Murali Malinga Cummins
  any roberts INZY KP Babar azam

Since i havent seen 1975-90s i picked team basis on number ,team combination, strategy n what ever i knew about players

Im going with 90s-2005 team

Just for Fun i Added an Expected ATG (now those who ll ask how can we pick that- well its for fun and 2nd yea right as other teams will turn into reality)

Future XI is picked on bases of guys who ll end up playing more then they have played before 2020 - bairstrow, stokes, Butler can be considered border line cases but call taken to strengthen that team 

Pick the best sides u can decide who ll win - 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Team A: Greenidge, Haynes, D Jones/G Chappell (one of them the 12th man), V Richards, M Crowe (c), D Houghton (wk), Imran, Kapil, Hadlee, Lillee, Garner 

Basically, all 11 can bat w/ extremely strong batting till 9 + the pace attack -> the complete bowler Lillee, the unplayable late swing of Hadlee, the bounce and yorkers of Garner, and economy and accuracy of Imran and Kapil  :aha: 

Those who do not know about Houghton, below is a batting master class (was probably the coach of Zim but decided to hop into the game to teach the team a few tricks. I hope Shastri does not do that):

Edited by zen

36 minutes ago, zen said:

Team A: Greenidge, Haynes, D Jones, V Richards, M Crowe (c), D Houghton (WK), Imran, Kapil, Hadlee, Lillee, Garner 

Basically, all 11 can bat + the pace attack :aha:

And those who do not know about Houghton (was probably the coach of Zim but decided to hop into the game. I hope Shastri does not do that):

Sorry he cant make it to the side , i clearly stated in rules a player shud play majority of his games in that phase to play in that team

till 90s he only played 12 games

after 90s he plays 51 games 

so he is eligible for 90-2005 team only

54 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

till 90s he only played 12 games

after 90s he plays 51 games 

that is because Zim basically only played in WCs in the 80s (for comparison, India played 150+ games in the 80s) .... he is in the same age group of Kapil, Srikant, Shastri, etc. .... missed out on a lot of cricket .... potentially, could have been one of the greats! 

Edited by zen

36 minutes ago, zen said:

that is because Zim basically only played in WCs in the 80s (for comparison, India played 150+ games in the 80s) .... he is in the same age group of Kapil, Srikant, Shastri, etc. .... missed out on a lot of cricket .... potentially, could have been one of the greats! 

I am biased on Houghton too bro. One of my earliest memories of cricket itself his knock vs Nzl in 87 WC. Before 1991 there are a few things that are just stuck in my head when it comes to cricket.

Houghton knock

Azhar taking 3 wickets vs Australia

Srikkanth taking 5 wicket haul vs Nzl

Chetan Sharma 100 vs England???

Gavaskar getting bowled in his final odi

Hirwani taking 16 wickets or something in a test.

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

I am biased on Houghton too bro. One of my earliest memories of cricket itself his knock vs Nzl in 87 WC. Before 1991 there are a few things that are just stuck in my head when it comes to cricket.

Houghton knock

Azhar taking 3 wickets vs Australia

Srikkanth taking 5 wicket haul vs Nzl

Chetan Sharma 100 vs England???

Gavaskar getting bowled in his final odi

Hirwani taking 16 wickets or something in a test.

Mine too .... that 141 was cool .... can't find it on youtube 

To me players like Houghton, M Crowe, Rhodes, Jayasuriya, etc., offer unique value so I try to accommodate them where possible :yahoo:

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

B to win. A to finish 2nd. C will get it's ass kicked IMO.

Dont think C will get their ass kicked, if its played under old rules some one lile starc will get an old ball n starc reversing that wud be hell.

Starc n malinga in death ....very tough

Dhoni was a bloody good captain in ODI

Current era batsman ship is very evolved in terms of shot making.

They have outstanding ODI batsman like outstanding

Add a very good fielding unit- rohit, kohli, yuvi, abdv, lee , hussey.

They may not win , but surely they wont be pushovers. 

My effort

TeamA (1975-90s)

Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Abbas, D Jones, Kapil, Du Jon, Hadlee, Marshall, Garner, Qadir

Team B (90s-2005)

Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Ponting, Lara, De Silva, Bevan, Klusener, Wasim, Warne, McGrath, Ambrose

Team C (2005-2020)

Rohit , Roy, Virat, ABDV, Yuvraj, Stokes, Buttler, Lee, Starc, Malinga, Tahir

Feels criminal but I have left Dhoni out for Buttlers brute power... I've got England heavy ish, expect their power to be bit much for the others. Would be interesting to see how Roy lines up against the team B pace attack 

Edited by Sooda

31 minutes ago, Sooda said:

My effort

TeamA (1975-90s)

Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Abbas, D Jones, Kapil, Du Jon, Hadlee, Marshall, Garner, Qadir

Team B (90s-2005)

Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Ponting, Lara, De Silva, Bevan, Klusener, Wasim, Warne, McGrath, Ambrose

Team C (2005-2020)

Feels criminal but I have left Dhoni out for Buttlers brute power... I've got England heavy ish, expect their power to be bit much for the others. Would be interesting to see how Roy lines up against the team B pace attack 

I to thought about roy , butler, stokes but the amount of games they ll play in next cycle wud be far more . 

If a retired Houghton’s knock against a mid 90s strong SA, which is close to the attacks of Team B and Team C, is anything to go by, the peak Team A (see my 11), will smash 350+ in most games esp. with the batting till 9.

Greenidge-Haynes = almost a perfect pair to take on new ball bowlers of the other two Teams - B & C. Jones/Chappell at 3 = solidity and smart cricket.

A peak Richards is among the most consistent performers so a couple of 100s at least (+ a few demolition job 70-80 off 40-50 balls) in a patch of 5-6 games. Followed by a WC MoS Crowe at #5, who toys with good attacks, so one of them is likely to not only bat till the end, but also set the tempo. On top of that you have Houghton + the 3 ARs to leverage on too. Many of these guys are pressure and big match players.

Edited by zen

15 hours ago, Sooda said:

My effort

TeamA (1975-90s)

Team B (90s-2005)

Team C (2005-2020)

What a team... :bow:. Cricketing childhood in a nutshell. 

Team C

Rohit

Warner

Kohli

Abdv

Hussey

Stokes

Dhoni

Rashid Khan

Lee

Starc

Bond

Team B same as above.

Team A Imran and Kapil weren't good enough batsmen to play at 6-7 consecutively. Also Imran's batting mostly came through he wasn't as good a bowler. Also team A has slow batsmen.

Team B and C will have stiff competition. Both have top batsmen and fast bowlers.

Starc, Bond, Lee three of the greatest ODI fast bowlers in modern era.

C also has two of the best finishers ever in Dhoni and Hussey. At their peak, no one matches them. With alrounder in Stokes, you have another match winner. 

Rohit at the top, arguably the second best ODI opener in history, only behind Tendulkar. Kohli, arguably the best ODI middle order batsman in history. Warner, a superior version of Sehwag/Gilchrist.

ABDV, unmatched skills, no one could ever play strokes like only he can. Arguably amongst the top 3 ODI middle order batsmen ever.

Rashid Khan, the most legally unreadable LOI spinner in last 30 years.

Edited by rkt.india

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Team C

Rohit

Warner

Kohli

Abdv

Hussey

Stokes

Dhoni

Rashid Khan

Lee

Starc

Bond

Team B same as above.

Team A Imran and Kapil weren't good enough batsmen to play at 6-7 consecutively. Also Imran's batting mostly came through he wasn't as good a bowler. Also team A has slow batsmen.

Team B and C will have stiff competition. Both have top batsmen and fast bowlers.

Starc, Bond, Lee three of the greatest ODI fast bowlers in modern era.

C also has two of the best finishers ever in Dhoni and Hussey. At their peak, no one matches them. With alrounder in Stokes, you have another match winner. 

Rohit at the top, arguably the second best ODI opener in history, only behind Tendulkar. Kohli, arguably the best ODI middle order batsman in history. Warner, a superior version of Sehwag/Gilchrist.

ABDV, unmatched skills, no one could ever play strokes like only he can. Arguably amongst the top 3 ODI middle order batsmen ever.

Rashid Khan, the most legally unreadable bowler in LOI spinner in last 30 years.

Rashid n stokes were hard not to pick one of the reasons was they ll surely end up playing more games in next decade then they have now. 

Infact another team can be made with players likely to play in next 15 years - bairstrow, de kock,roy,  azam, stokes, butler , rashid, bumrah with guys who atleast has played 50 odis

Also the team C u made makes rohit n kohli 6th bowling options n they dont bowl. 6 bowling options are a must for me. Yuvraj post 2005 till 2020 avg same as stokes around 40. 

Team A has a slow batsman who ??

Edited by rkt.india

My modern standard team A will be slow; Richards and Abbas aside most ODI bats of that area strike rate was in 60s and 70s. In their favour though they have Great pace bowling to choose from , will help them

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Rashid n stokes were hard not to pick one of the reasons was they ll surely end up playing more games in next decade then they have now. 

Infact another team can be made with players likely to play in next 15 years - bairstrow, de kock,roy,  azam, stokes, butler , rashid, bumrah with guys who atleast has played 50 odis

Also the team C u made makes rohit n kohli 6th bowling options n they dont bowl. 6 bowling options are a must for me. Yuvraj post 2005 till 2020 avg same as stokes around 40. 

Team A has a slow batsman who ??

We can't pick teams for future. Ben stokes debuted in 2013 and has already played for 7 years. He is 28 and might retire by 34 as most English players retire early. So, he has already played more than half of his cricket.

Team A, Haynes, Greenidge, Abbas, Imran all four are slow batsmen. Their WK is also weak. 

Edited by rkt.india

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

We can't pick teams for future. Ben stokes debuted in 2013 and has already played for 7 years. He is 28 and might retire by 34 as most English players retire early. So, he has already played more than half of his cricket.

Team A, Haynes, Greenidge, Abbas, Imran all four are slow batsmen. Their WK is also weak. 

Not Abbas. His SR is elite for his time.

51 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

stokes has played only 95 odis by the time his career wud end he wud have already played 200+ game, so more then half of his cricket is left . But stokes is borderline u can consider him that why i had him as my 12th man . 

abbas s/r was 84 in that era

yup their WK is weak 

Imran s/r was 72....for his era it was fine and those s/r gets better at 6,7,8 .....his s/r is low at 3,4 which im assuming he use to play like anchor those innings. His avg was 30 n 28 at 6,7 which is not bad and pretty 44,38 in 3-5 positions

54 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Kapil averages 23. 

Im talking about s/r and u need to cover other aspects as well, with kapil u also put a good fielder on ground

but go ahead make another option for that team by dropping imarn n kapil n adding may be dean jones or greg chappel n they cud be replaced with bowlers. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

9 hours ago, rkt.india said:

now coming to warner vs watson.....as name warner is better as individual but in terms of team combination watson is better

Batting

Warner - 45.8 at 95 s/r

Watson- 40.5 at 90 s/r

So loosing 5 avg and 5 s/r

Bowling - watson vs stokes

Watson - 31 at under 5 eco 

stokes 41 at 6+ eco 

Watson gives me far better bowling avg 

If i play stokes n warner i have no 6th bowler, n with stokes i really wud want a 6th bowling options specially when the pacers are of express pace n has more chances of getting injured

If i play watson i have yuvi as 6th bowler or even stokes, on some pitches yuvi as bowler was very handy 

Good to see that people have confidence in the top 3 of Rohit-Watson-Kohli vs. Hadlee-Lillee-Garner and McGrath-Donald-Wasim .... Likewise Tendulkar-Gilly-Ponting, who may fare better vs. their opponents than the top 3 of Team C but, at best, we may only see a collection of good looking 30-40s 

I have not even attempted to create my version of Team C because of the comical batting options relative to other teams :hehe:

Edited by zen

For information to those who have not seen Greenidge-Haynes:

^ As a pair they work well as they opened together in tests as well (test level openers so those skills help to take on ATG bowlers in ODIs too. Played in world series as well iirc which had many good bowlers playing together). If we have to draw parallels in terms of playing style - Haynes is similar to Tendulkar, while Greenidge is more like Gilly but with a higher average.  

PS in Tests

Edited by zen

Team A                                              Team B                                                Team C

S. Gavaskar                                       M. Hayden                                           D. Warner

G. Greenidge                                     V. Sehwag                                            A. Cook

Viv Richards                                      R. Ponting                                            K. Williamson

G. Chappell                                       S. Tendulkar                                         V. Kohli (c)

G. Sobers                                           B. Lara                                                 S. Smith

K. Dev                                                S. Waugh                                             J. Kallis

I. Khan (c)                                          A. Gilchrist (wk)                                  ABDV (wk)

A. Knott (wk)                                     S. Warne                                              M. Muralitharan    

M. Marshall                                       W. Akram                                              Z. Khan

B. Bedi                                              C. Ambrose                                           D. Steyn  

D. Lillee                                             G. McGrath                                           J. Anderson

In descending order:

Team B- the generation I grew up on
Team A
Team C

57 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he was hardest to drop but i wanted to play an all rounder n it was him vs zaheer abbas and choose abbas on s/r

Zaheer's stats are impacted by playing vs. Ind in Pak .... A good player but Jones is considered an ODI ATG and can get into Aus ATG 11 too  ....  Your 11 can be what your prefer but Team A's batting would ideally be 

Greenidge >= Gilly (Gilly is likely to be picked over him as a WK batsman only)

Haynes =< Tendulkar 

D Jones/Chappell = Ponting (Chappell is considered to be among the best player of fast bowling)

Richards

M Crowe  (Crowe averaged 114 in 92 WC at a SR of 90+ and can take the responsibility to be captain too so others can play more freely) 

D Houghton (one of the best WK batsmen that I have seen. Can win a game on his own. Almost single handedly could have won a game for Zim in 87 WC Here like Kapil vs. ZIm in '83)

Bowlers/ARs 

^ All of these guys are good test level batsmen too 

PS

Edited by zen

31 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Team A                                              Team B                                                Team C

S. Gavaskar                                       M. Hayden                                           D. Warner

G. Greenidge                                     V. Sehwag                                            A. Cook

Viv Richards                                      R. Ponting                                            K. Williamson

G. Chappell                                       S. Tendulkar                                         V. Kohli (c)

G. Sobers                                           B. Lara                                                 S. Smith

K. Dev                                                S. Waugh                                             J. Kallis

I. Khan (c)                                          A. Gilchrist (wk)                                  ABDV (wk)

A. Knott (wk)                                     S. Warne                                              M. Muralitharan    

M. Marshall                                       W. Akram                                              Z. Khan

B. Bedi                                              C. Ambrose                                           D. Steyn  

D. Lillee                                             G. McGrath                                           J. Anderson

In descending order:

Team B- the generation I grew up on
Team A
Team C

u have made test XI .....this thread was about ODI 

6 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

good luck calling that team comedy whose attack has starc, lee, bond and batsman who not only were consistent but very damaging

Bowling attack means zilch when others have good bowling attacks too. As for batsmen vs. ATG bowlers, I see only Hussey, ABDV, and Kohli if batting at #4 .... if it were playing a national team, I would give it more points :dontknow:

3 minutes ago, zen said:

Bowling attack means zilch when others have good bowling attacks too. As for batsmen vs. ATG bowlers, I see only Hussey, ABDV, and Kohli if batting at #4 .... if it were playing a national team, I would give it more points :dontknow:

Other dont have the pace that team C has 

Doesnt matter what u see 

2 hours ago, zen said:

D Houghton (one of the best WK batsmen that I have seen. Can win a game on his own. Almost single handedly could have won a game for Zim in 87 WC Here like Kapil vs. ZIm in '83)

Rules are rules - he is not eligible for that team. 

He is only eligible for post 90s team. Had it been 40-60 still i wud hve said ok. 

His international record is taken not when he played at his peak in domestic

4 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Other dont have the pace that team C has 

Doesnt matter what u see 

Irrelevant point .... If pace is sole criteria then Team A can bring in Holding and company, Team B can bring in Akthar and so on 

6 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Rules are rules - he is not eligible for that team. 

He is only eligible for post 90s team. Had it been 40-60 still i wud hve said ok. 

His international record is taken not when he played at his peak in domestic

He is an 80s cricketer .... Zim usually only played in WCs in 80s

Edited by zen

8 minutes ago, zen said:

Irrelevant point .... If pace is sole criteria then Team A can bring in Holding and company, Team B can bring in Akthar and so on 

u think bond, lee, starc was just about pace??

u give starc old ball like in 90s n if gets reverse his number will go off roof and add if he gets batsman without helmet his number wud be scary

Bond swung the ball at pace n had great control

Let Team B bring akthar coz team has rohit, kohli, yuvi, hussey all very good players of high pace and he is big minus on field and donald beats him in number 

7 minutes ago, zen said:

He is an 80s cricketer whether you like it or not 

who cares , the rules were set ur only qualified in the time u played 12 games in 63 cant make him eligible. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

13 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

u think bond, lee, starc was just about pace??

u give starc old ball like in 90s n if gets reverse his number will go off roof and add if he gets batsman without helmet his number wud be scary

Bond swung the ball at pace n had great control

Let Team B bring akthar coz team has rohit, kohli, yuvi, hussey all very good players of high pace 

You are the one talking about pace. Appears as if you have no clue about what the likes of Lillee-Garner-Holding-Imran-Hadlee-Thompson-.... can do too .... Team B has Waqar as well 

who cares , the rules were set ur only qualified in the time u played 12 games in 63 cant make him eligible. 

No one buys that esp. if people do not even understand the key point in a cricketer's career 

Edited by zen

2 minutes ago, zen said:

You are the one talking about pace. Appears as if you have no clue about likes of Lillee-Garner-Holding can do 

Lillee wasnt about pace

And all those guys number wud also be affected once they wud  play in modern era where rules are so against bowlers 

i knw what they can do , i didnt say any team had weak bowling infact all have great attack....warne though gives B an edge but C also has a high pace attack with a lot of skill. Now im doubting their skills but other teams have also high skilled bowler but the X factor

• Warne 
  • Pace of C team and most days with control
  • A has garner height n bounce 

So no one can dismiss Team C as comedy 

2 minutes ago, zen said:

No one buys that esp. if people do not even understand the key point in a cricketers career 

no one cares about how good were u when u didnt play all what matters is when u did , did u see ICC giving him some extra bonus on his number or SA players that cudnt play for long

45 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Lillee wasnt about pace

And all those guys number wud also be affected once they wud  play in modern era where rules are so against bowlers 

i knw what they can do , i didnt say any team had weak bowling infact all have great attack....warne though gives B an edge but C also has a high pace attack with a lot of skill. Now im doubting their skills but other teams have also high skilled bowler but the X factor

• Warne 
  • Pace of C team and most days with control
  • A has garner height n bounce 

So no one can dismiss Team C as comedy 

I have called it comedy mainly for its relative lack of batting .... you are the one who brought in bowling. good to see that you agree that there is no big swing in advantage in bowling across the board 

no one cares about how good were u when u didnt play all what matters is when u did , did u see ICC giving him some extra bonus on his number or SA players that cudnt play for long

He is primarily an 80s cricketer and belongs to Kapil-Shastri-Srikant's age group.  He did not play more because Zim did not play more .... Now if you do not want to pick him in your team that is fine but, ideally, he could be considered for that period too .... It is good that cricketers like him can get some kind of recognition from fans 

PS Note as for SA players, people do make exceptions to recognize special talents and consider players like Barry Richards, Mike Proctor, and G Pollock even though they have played less cricket  :winky:  

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

relative lack of batting

:hysterical:

Rohit , kohli, abdv , dhoni, atg all are ATG in odi 

Yuvi at his best was one the best going around world n we all knw what he did in 2 wcs

Watson avg 40+ with bat 31 with ball with under 5 eco....scored back to back 100s in CT semi n finals.

That batting is consistency with impact. 

Plus a very good fielding side and fielding always a major role.