Pandemics and god

bhakum20

I'm atheist but this current situation has got me worried about family back in india. With traveling being cutoff the feeling of helplessness has seeped in. Apart from prayer or god is there any hope? I'm just hoping that nothing happens to loved ones back home, apart from that there's nothing I can do

I'm wondering if god was created back in the day because people had little knowledge about anything and had way more things left to chance than today. I feel god is just another word for hope

1 hour ago, bhakum20 said:

I'm atheist but this current situation has got me worried about family back in india. With traveling being cutoff the feeling of helplessness has seeped in. Apart from prayer or god is there any hope? I'm just hoping that nothing happens to loved ones back home, apart from that there's nothing I can do

I'm wondering if god was created back in the day because people had little knowledge about anything and had way more things left to chance than today. I feel god is just another word for hope

I have become atheist too from a practising believer and I share the same feelings. It was the helplessness of a human which encouraged him to create a god for himself, in order to take shelter under the mighty god in times of dangers. 

On one side, these times of dangers make some people more closer to their gods, and on the other side these danger times also make some people to abandon the gods while they realised that gods don't answer any of the believing person. 

I see on facebook posts from Pakistanis like this that they go to Kaaba from Pakistan and pray for their health and long life. But now Saudi Government has closed the Kaaba itself while Kaaba is unable to provide defence against virus to even those who enter in it. 

Edited by Alam_dar

1 hour ago, velu said:

dont worry ..

when mars goes to Aquarius , everything will be back to  normal  ..

powerful saturn together with even more powerful and exalted mars will create problems .. 2 weeks back Jupiter joined them to calm both of them , things are recovering from that point onwards 

Wtf? I hope you're not trading using these gems from astrology. I remember in my professional broking days I took one guy to a client. This guy promised he had a very profitable system. When he started explaining about rashi ketu etc. affecting gold price I cringed and wanted to get out of the room asap. Surprisingly the client acted calm and was very respectful. We laughed it off after the 'trader/astrologer' left.

11 minutes ago, bhakum20 said:

Wtf? I hope you're not trading using these gems from astrology. I remember in my professional broking days I took one guy to a client. This guy promised he had a very profitable system. When he started explaining about rashi ketu etc. affecting gold price I cringed and wanted to get out of the room asap. Surprisingly the client acted calm and was very respectful. We laughed it off after the 'trader/astrologer' left.

nah ..I don’t do Astro trades 

anyway strong mercury and mars is  needed for day trading.. :giggle:

2 hours ago, bhakum20 said:

That is the issue. Hve you become an Atheist for the sake of it because it is fashionable or do you have the gumption of making it alone in this life? The helplessness comes from not having a clear head. There are a lot of people in Science who believe in a greater force because it gives them a balance state of mind to deal with tough situations. If bad things happen to you despite being good, you don't depress in despair, but deal with the bad happening believing it is because of actions in previous life and be stronger.  

Prayer/meditation takes the mind out of the present and makes you think about something/nothing. That will give strength to the mind to focus on present more. Rigveda doesn't say God created us, but it says we have a part of god in us. It questions if God even exists. If science says, matter or energy cannot be created, it can only transform from one form into another form of matter, same is true for us. We are part of nature/universe/God that started with a Big bang of energy and all of us have a part of it in us. 

This is what I believe in.

@bhakum20, wishing you solace and courage in these times.

It comes down to subjective experience, and so there are no objective answers.

When She is the Cause of everything, and is everything, there is no separation. Even as humanity suffers, there are other species on Earth, for whom, this is a very different experience of regeneration and relief from human oppression. Why should a Higher Force be restricted to just human affairs?

@coffee_rules No I was quite religious in my teenage years, but then took a bunch of religion courses in undergrad which allowed me to study them objectively and inferred it was a waste of time. Been agnostic and then eventually atheist for more than a decade now.

But now I realize it could be a good coping mechanism, at least not for me but I can understand why others believe in it.

17 hours ago, velu said:

dont worry ..

when mars goes to Aquarius , everything will be back to  normal  ..

powerful saturn together with even more powerful and exalted mars will create problems .. 2 weeks back Jupiter joined them to calm both of them , things are recovering from that point onwards 

Rahu will be in taurus soon (September). If you follow mundane astrology this is significant. Rahu in taurus especially in rohini nakshatra has history of destructive events.

48 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Rahu will be in taurus soon (September). If you follow mundane astrology this is significant. Rahu in taurus especially in rohini nakshatra has history of destructive events.

Great. In a thread about atheists possibly turning to religion and spiritual beliefs as a mechanism of coping and hope, you tell us this.