Ricky Ponting for Indian Coach

I was reading interviews and seeing these video casts during lockdown and one thing I noticed everybody who came in contact with Ricky say nothing but great things about him.. a snapshot

1. Hardik Pandya: In 2015, someone who looked after me the best was Ricky Ponting. He looked after me as a child. I felt like he was a father figure for me. Learnt so much. Whatever I have learnt it's in my early days."Ricky taught me situations, mindsets. He used to sit with me before I went into bat. I would sit near boundary rope and call Ricky. He would sit with me and tell me what's happening. So I grasped and learnt quickly," he revealed.

2. Ricky Ponting Is "From Another Planet": Rohit Sharma Tells Ravichandran Ashwin

3. Ricky Ponting is the best coach I've ever met: Ishant Sharma
4. Ricky Ponting gives me full freedom at Delhi Capitals ...Rishabh Pant

5. Shreyas Iyer credits 'positive' Ricky Ponting for his transformation as a player

6. Prithvi Shaw has recently claimed that he has learnt a lot of mental skills from Ricky Ponting and Sourav Ganguly.

Six Indian regulars saying in one breathe Ricky the great..it cant be co incidence or made up.He must be doing something great..plus he goes on well with Ganguly as we saw in Delhi Capitals..why not him as a coach after Ravi Shastri..he is aggressive like Kohli and goes for wins..he doesnt seem overbearing ..maybe a masterstroke

Edited by neel roy
Just now, Manny_Pacquiao said:

No thanks. indian players praising their coaches is normal, you've seen guys praising shastri, it doesn't mean ****.

yes but we do need someone after Ravi..why not Ricky..Langer is gone to Aus now..whos left.. 

Kohli won't work well with strong figures, he needs yes men like Shastri, Bangar, Arun, Sridhar. We could go back to the days of Ganguly-Chappell, but after Kohli's exit sure. I really want us to hire Moody, loved watching the Lankans under him in mid 2000s.  

I didn't like Ponting during his playing days. He was a brat and a jerk. But he was also hard-working and remained fit till the end of his playing days. He seems to have mellowed down after retirement doing a great job as a coach. He might be helpful in providing us the needed guidance to get over the line in critical moments like knockout games in ICC tournaments and SENA tours. 

On 6/3/2020 at 4:03 PM, Gollum said:

I really want us to hire Moody, loved watching the Lankans under him in mid 2000s.

I wanted Moody when India went with Guru Greg instead.  Moody's a good coach, but now I think his hunger and drive has reduced a bit.  He makes enough from IPL etc so wouldn't be as motivated as he was 10 yrs ago to put in that John Wright style total commitment and hard work.  I want that type of coach - low profile, no former 'star' player, a guy who is smart enough to keep his mouth shut and let his coaching advertise his work, instead of his interviews.  

Shastri gets a lot of flak, but I actually like him as a head coach, supported by top-flight coaches for specific skills.  For instance Pravin Amre for batting, Jason Gillespie for bowling, that kind of set up.  

58 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

That's a good tactic to get the most out of a tulleybaaz, in T20 cricket.  

I don't want a future Australia coach anywhere near Indian national team.  I just don't.  Whatever "magic" Ricky Ponting can supposedly bring to the coaching table, I'm sure similar input can be provided by an Indian. These days coaching isn't a one-man job anyway, its a lot of different type of background work - overseeing a bunch of tasks such as selection, player rotation, data and video analysis, fitness, skill-specific drills and training.  A "famous" name primarily only brings "mentorship" and motivation to the table.  We don't need a guy who averaged single digits for 15 years of test cricket in India, to provide 'mentorship'.  

On 6/4/2020 at 1:35 AM, nevada said:

I didn't like Ponting during his playing days. He was a brat and a jerk. But he was also hard-working and remained fit till the end of his playing days. He seems to have mellowed down after retirement doing a great job as a coach. He might be helpful in providing us the needed guidance to get over the line in critical moments like knockout games in ICC tournaments and SENA tours. 

The problem is well defined and wellknown.  And Virat's ego, and failed decision making in key moments isn't going to get overturned that easily.  Kumble famously wanted India to bat first in CT Final.  What happened?