How good would a PEAK sachin tendulkar have been in the IPL?

IPL arrived in the final stages of Sachin's career, but we saw Sachin play at a reasonably high level.

He won the orange cap in 2010, which was probably his last 'good' year in international cricket. MI lost the final to CSK in DY Patil stadium, but sachin was toying with the bowlers all season, and looked very comfortable in this 'newer', evolved format of cricket.

2010 MI with sachin, rayudu, harbhajan singh, zaheer khan, malinga, and pollard looked unstoppable. I'm still wondering how they lost that final, they were easily the best team in the country that season. MI looked like winning the final as long as sachin was there, he got out for 40-odd, if i remember correctly. That is probably the most exciting team MI has ever had. Do you remember this team, @Mariyam ?

the following IPL, in 2011, Sachin scored a hundred against Kochi tuskers kerala but didn't look anywhere near as effective as he did in 2010. MI lost to CSK in the eliminator. In the next 2 seasons, Sachin's stats declined massively- and in his late-30s, he was clearly on the brink of retirment.

Knowing this, we can ask ourselves: how good would a peak Sachin tendulkar have been in IPL?

Would he be as dominant as 2016 kohli - scoring 900+ runs and 4 hundreds - or could he hit 1000? Would he have scored 175 like Gayle?

I think the closest we came to seeing sachin play IPL in his prime was in that 'max' tournament in new zealand, back in 2002. He scored 72 off 27 balls. What's funny - and maybe a little bit sad - is that future generations will probably think that this was his greatest ever innings!!! LOL

Edited by Manny_Pacquiao

2008-10 was 95% peak Sachin. His IPL performance in those 3 years will be a decent guide, you say he got orange cap in 2010, so that's impressive. I don't think he would have been as destructive as Gayle, ABDV, Butler, Sehwag, Warner...more like peak Kohli. Something like avg 50, SR 130-135. 

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

2008-10 was 95% peak Sachin. His IPL performance in those 3 years will be a decent guide, you say he got orange cap in 2010, so that's impressive. I don't think he would have been as destructive as Gayle, ABDV, Butler, Sehwag, Warner...more like peak Kohli. Something like avg 50, SR 130-135. 

Sachin played 2008 and 2009 IPL, but he was skipping games, and had a few injuries. I think he was more focused on the test matches.

You could say 2007-10 was his peak in test cricket. In ODIs, he scored that incredible 200 against SA but he was only playing half of india's ODIs, and was keeping himself ready for the 2011 world cup.

His orange cap in 2010 wasn't that impressive by todays' standards. He got 618 runs, averaged just under 50. You can't compare it with the monster seasons we've seen from gayle, kohli, warner...

I was thinking more about what 1994-1999 sachin could have done. Before the injuries and 'responsibility', when he just played freely and attacked bowlers from ball 1. Would THIS sachin hit 900+ runs? Probably! Look at how easily he finds the gaps:

16 hours ago, Gollum said:

08-10 was 95% but he was more of a accumulator plus hitting shots down the ground which is more like Kohli. Peak Sachin in my opinion is 1998 Sachin. He gave up captaincy at the end of 97 and started with the bashing of Pak in 98 then Aus in march and april and demolising SL and Zim late that year. His record that year was the most ODI runs in a calendar year. Don't know if it still stands. Seeing how little ODIs teams play these days, I think he still has that record. That Sachin in IPL would be devastating

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

08-10 was 95% but he was more of a accumulator plus hitting shots down the ground which is more like Kohli. Peak Sachin in my opinion is 1998 Sachin. He gave up captaincy at the end of 97 and started with the bashing of Pak in 98 then Aus in march and april and demolising SL and Zim late that year. His record that year was the most ODI runs in a calendar year. Don't know if it still stands. Seeing how little ODIs teams play these days, I think he still has that record. That Sachin in IPL would be devastating

That's the one i was thinking of.

His record still stands: https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/282854.html

But its a meaningless record, the number of games in a calendar year are always different because cricket doesn't have a fixed schedule.

For example, Kohli in 2018 scored 1202 in 14 games, averaging 133. If he played more ODIs, he would have easily beaten Sachin's record of 1898

@Manny_Pacquiao

I remember the 2010 IPL final quite well. I was at the stadium.

:mi: also had Dhawan as an opener. I remember him dropping Dhoni and missing a few  run out chances. Also he had this really silly grin every time he dropped a catch/ missed a run out. To cap it all he even got out for a nought. I've been :mad: at him ever since. 

:mi: batting was like India's of the 90s. They were within a shout as long as Sachin was on the crease. It was a collapse after that.

DY Patil is a poorly designed stadium. The car park is nearly 1.5km away. On reaching the car park we saw a kid try to wring out the logo of the car using some kind of a screwdriver. He realised it was our vehicle and very non nonchalantly said "Gaadi achcha hai madam" and walked off.

Fun days!

Edited by Mariyam
On 6/4/2020 at 8:01 AM, Gollum said:

Sachin's LOI greatness was a result of the fact that ODIs in 1990s were not very high scoring and batsmen weren't ultra aggressive with Jayasuria and Afridi being exceptions but they never had the consistency, Lara was defensive in ODIs. So Sachin's attacking approach with consistency gave him godlike aura in ODIs.

Coming back to IPL, Sachin of 1998 can never match Gayle's monstrosity. I think he would have still not been as good as peak AB De Villiers or peak Kohli of 2016, maybe slightly better than peak Sehwag in IPL.

Edited by MechEng
12 hours ago, MechEng said:

Sachin's LOI greatness was a result of the fact that ODIs in 1990s were not very high scoring and batsmen weren't ultra aggressive with Jayasuria and Afridi being exceptions but they never had the consistency, Lara was defensive in ODIs. So Sachin's attacking approach with consistency gave him godlike aura in ODIs.

Coming back to IPL, Sachin of 1998 can never match Gayle's monstrosity. I think he would have still not been as good as peak AB De Villiers or peak Kohli of 2016, maybe slightly better than peak Sehwag in IPL.

Bullshit. A 16 year old sqchin scored a 20 ball 50 against the likes of qqdir and waqar. Sachin chose attacking with consistency because he was playing for 50 overs. If he was playing 20 overs he would plan for that and would have shorts all around the ground with a lot of improvisation

On 7/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, Rasgulla said:

Would have got lot of NO-BALLS for his team because of his height. That's for sure. :phehe:

Ailiaaa...Narine, Starc and Archar would have ate him for dinner. :nervous:

Very accurate post always incessive from the poster, i agree sacin did not have Naraine or Archers batting range just a rung below these in t20 batting. Excellent post. Ok bye

Edited by Vilander

In LOIs, 98 was the peak for Sachin. He was aggressive as well as consistent that year.

If 98 Sachin played an IPL, he could have averaged 50+ with a SR 140-145. That's 800+ runs in the season with a couple of 100s. Similar to the numbers which Warner posts in a really good year(lucky SRH team). Gayle's 175 needs a heavy power game & a freak day so that would be difficult to break. Peak Sachin's highest IPL score could be around 140-150. In ODI death overs, he relied on old-fashioned slogging, so can't imagine him playing ABDV type of sweeps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk