Rohit Sharma has backed me and stood by me on a lot of instances- KL rahul

KL Rahul is a force to reckon. The Karnataka batsman has become one of the mainstays of the Indian batting line-up in limited-overs cricket since 2019.

KL Rahul's game has seen a lot of changes. The 28-year-old started as an opener, then batted at number 4th position for a while and more recently he has been fulfilling his responsibilities at No. 5 position. KL Rahul in his new role has also donned the wicket-keeping gloves.

With a talent like KL Rahul in the team there are always talks about the competition for the opening slot. KL Rahul usually loses out to Shikhar Dhawan for the opening slot in ODIs but in the T20Is, the wicketkeeper-batsman is making a mark.

Speaking to India Today's Consulting Editor Boria Majumdar in the latest episode of 'Inspiration', KL Rahul opened up on his competition with Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan. Rahul admitted that he is a fan of Rohit and gets dumbstruck in front of him.

Notably, Rohit Sharma on the same show had said that KL Rahul is management's first choice for the opening position when it comes to the T20I format.

"Humbled by Rohit's words (that KL Rahul is the first choice and then it's decided between me and Dhawan in T20Is). I have been a huge fan of his batting and I have played with him for a few years now but he is someone who is in the team, how do I say, like some cricketers get dumbstruck after watching Sachin Tendulkar, they don't know what to say. When I am with Rohit off the field I have still not been able to get through.

"But he is someone in the team who has given me that sense that he has a lot of faith in me and as a senior player I have seen that he has backed me and stood by by me on a lot of instances. When senior players feel like there is a guy who can take responsibility and can be amongst one of the senior players that gives a young player or a player who has not played consistently for the country a lot of confidence," KL Rahul added.

KL Rahul, who captains Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) in IPL, said that there is a healthy competition for the different batting positions in the team and players enjoy it. Rahul added that he was aware of the fact that few batting slots cannot be taken for a while.

"Ever since I have come in the team in 2014, in Test matches or ODIs or T20Is there has always been a healthy competition for the opening slot or number 4 position. There have been a few slots you know that you can never take for a while at least. There has always been a healthy competition and players enjoy it as it motivates us to put harder and harder. It stops us from being lazy and complacent and that is what we are striving for. It is amazing," KL Rahul asserted.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/kl-rahul-inspiration-rohit-sharma-dumbstruck-opening-slot-competition-shikhar-dhawan-1688810-2020-06-14

Captaincy selection in odi shud consider these factors 

1. Personal performances - a player shud 1st own a spot and has some volume of performaces. Rohit consistency has been mighty great in odi

2. Player mangement specially youngsters - reason why player still sing praise for ganguly n dhoni. Youngsters in MI have thrived, captain surely has a role. Even when rohit has captained for india players have looked comfortable. 

3. Knowing how to win tournaments- if a man has won 4 IPL , asia cup, nidhas well surely he knows how to win a tournament. Captain with nervous energy hardly wins the tournament and ganguly n kohli are best xamples.

Now coming to tactics - well everyone becomes better in that area with time. Coaching staff and seniors are always there for help. Tactics anyways has two side - you can have best of plan n fields but if bowlers doesnt execute it well enough it doesnt matter . 

Rohit sharma tics all the boxes , kohli ticked only one. High time we look at all factors before deciding next captain rather following same all old crap method of making best player the captain. 

Rohit is already 33 and unfit. There is almost no chance that he will captain india in 2023 worldcup and i don't think he will play after that so time to invest in other young captain. I will say make 2 captains for tests & limited overs format. If team management have decided that KL Rahul is only limited overs batsman then give him captaincy of t20 format and if he does well maybe give odis as well.

Edited by Nikola
15 hours ago, maniac said:

Rohit is probably India’s greatest captain who never got the full time opportunity to do so.

Has a great eye for talent and has backed so many talented players.

Even got the best out of players like DK and Shankar.

I can recall one instance from last year's WC encounter against paxtan where Babar and zaman were putting on a threatening partenership and Kohli walked off due to some niggle he was seen relaxing ,Rohit was in charge, suddenly padosis went to self destruction mode and wickets went in a flurry,Kohli the insecure came out running as if nothing happened, Kohli won't let go his captaincy so easily

On 6/15/2020 at 3:12 AM, Suhaan said:

I can recall one instance from last year's WC encounter against paxtan where Babar and zaman were putting on a threatening partenership and Kohli walked off due to some niggle he was seen relaxing ,Rohit was in charge, suddenly padosis went to self destruction mode and wickets went in a flurry,Kohli the insecure came out running as if nothing happened, Kohli won't let go his captaincy so easily

Rohit is the best captain in IPL history.

Kohli holds onto his captaincy by scoring runs against crappy teams.