Was this not gross injustice of Alan Donald to exclude any Asian cricketer?Injustice to Wasim,Sachin nad Sangakkara?

Who was the most unfair omission of Alan Donald in his all-time XI?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most unfair omission of Alan Donald in his all-time XI?

• Sachin Tendulkar
    • Wasim Akram
    • Kumar Sangakkara
    • Saed Anwar
    • Waqar Younus
    • Imran Khan
    • Sunil Gavaskar
    • Adam Gilchrist
    • Dennis Lillee
    • Ian Botham

Quoting Sai in CRICTRACKER "Former South African cricketer Allan Donald has recently revealed his all-time best XI with two South African players – Jacques Kallis and AB de Villiers. The pace legend unveiled his XI on the Lord’s YouTube channel. The criteria to select the XI is that the player should have played with or against them or have been strongly influenced by the players picked in the XI.

Donald, who is currently the assistant coach of Kent County Cricket Club, picked two Australians as openers in Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer. At the toughest No.3 position comes one of the greatest all-rounders Jacques Kallis. Donald termed Kallis as ‘probably the greatest cricketer of all time’. He picked two Carribean cricketers for No. 4 and No. 5 slots – Brian Lara and Sir Viv Richards.He excluded likes of Sachin Tendulkar,Wasim Akram ,Sangakkara etc.He went on to pick AB de Villiers and Adam Gilchrist for the 6th and 7th batting slots. While picking AB de Villiers, the former pace legend referred him as “one of the all-time bests and is an explosive batsman.” Donald picked Shane Warner, Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose and Glenn McGrath as the bowling options"

No Asians in the XI

'Donald, who was famously known as “White Lightning” during his cricketing career, faced the wrath of his fans on YouTube for not picking Indian and Pakistan cricketers like Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Imran Khan, Wasim Akram. In fact, the pacer did not pick any of the Asian legends in his XI. The last time a top cricketer missed Indian and Pakistan cricketers in his all-time XI was Alastair Cook"

My analysis

He excluded likes of Sachin Tendulkar,Wasim Akram ,Sangakkara etc..I feel it was gross injustice to exclude Sachin Tendulkar and Wasim Akram.It is strange as Donald regard Wasim as the most complete fast bowler he ever saw on youtube and most skilled and overall Tendulkar the best batsmen he ever bowled to.Wasim should have been there instead of Ambrose and Sachin arguably instead of Langer or Viv Richards .I feel Tendulkar in test cricket by a whisker surpased Viv with his longevity and consistency in al conditions.Wasim was more versatile than Ambrose.Tendulkar played in era of Donald so unfair to pick Viv instead.Lara ofcouse was the best test match batsmen of the era .Devilliers was not as great a batsmen as Sangakkara in test matches or turned as many tests as Adam Gilchrist.Also Viv never played in or against South Africa as Tendulkar.I can accept selection of Kallis with staggering record but would have preferred a Botham or an Imran instead.

Surprising some years ago Donald had selected Botham,Hadlee and Greg Chappell in his all-time XI.Viwers should Watch Donald;s view son Tendulkar and Wasim and how this selection contradicts that.If he chose Viv from yesterday than why not Gavaskar or even Botham .

Allan Donald’s all-time XI:

Matthew Hayden (Australia), Justin Langer (Australia), Jacques Kallis (South Africa), Brian Lara (West Indies), Sir Viv Richards (West Indies – captain), AB de Villiers (South Africa), Adam Gilchrist (Australia – wicketkeeper), Shane Warne (Australia), Malcolm Marshall (West Indies), Curtly Ambrose (West Indies), Glenn McGrath (Australia)

Edited by Harsh Thakor

As said in description 'The criteria for selection is players they have played with, against or have been influenced by.'

He as kid must have seen dominance of West indies and then in his playing days he saw aus doing the same so that reflects in his world xi. He picked players of his own choice and i think we should respect his xi instead of trying to fit in players we would want in our world xi.

3 minutes ago, Nikola said:

As said in description 'The criteria for selection is players they have played with, against or have been influenced by.'

He as kid must have seen dominance of West indies and then in his playing days he saw aus doing the same so that reflects in his world xi. He picked players of his own choice and i think we should respect his xi instead of trying to fit in players we would want in our world xi.

No Tendulkar who he stated was best bat of his ear or Wasim who he called most complete pace bowler?Not even Sanga with such a record?

2 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

No Tendulkar who he stated was best bat of his ear or Wasim who he called most complete pace bowler?Not even Sanga with such a record?

As i said it's his world xi not ours neither he was told to make best world xi which might have players like bradman, sobers etc. Sanga in his world xi picked aravinda de silva over sachin and vaas over mcgrath if i am not wrong. It's their choice to pick xi and it's not that they were told to make best world xi.

Edited by Nikola
4 minutes ago, Nikola said:

As i said it's his world xi not ours neither he was told to make best world xi which might have players like bradman, sobers etc. Sanga in his world xi picked aravinda de silva over sachin and vaas over mcgrath if i am not wrong. It's their choice to pick xi and it's not that they were told to make best world xi.

Very fair answer appreciate Still Tendulkar not unfairly left out or Wasim?No Asian to me is discrimination.

I don’t see any issues with his 11 esp. when accounting for his period.  No one is obliged to pick players from a particular region  

Hayden-Langer were probably the best opening pair of his time so good to see him persist with the pair. Kallis and ABDV are world class players and from SA so Donald would have seen them win games for SA. 

Lara, Viv Richards, Warne, Gilly, Marshall, etc., are more or less no brainer choices 

So the armchair experts have a better opinion than a guy who played the game? Sachin may be great for us but Donald will always remember him as the guy who with all the hype behind him couldn't secure a single win on South African soil during his playing days. He has ever right to pick the other players who did well against him. 

Matthew Hayden (Australia) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saeed Anwar

Justin Langer (Australia) << Gavaskar (but Donald never played with Gavaskar)

Jacques Kallis (South Africa) >>> Sangakkara

Brian Lara (West Indies) ~~ Sachin

Sir Viv Richards (West Indies – captain)  >>> everyone else

AB de Villiers (South Africa) ~Ian Botham (perspective value add)

Adam Gilchrist (Australia – wicketkeeper)

Shane Warne (Australia) >>> Imran Khan

Malcolm Marshall (West Indies) >> Wasim Akram

Curtly Ambrose (West Indies) >>> Waqar younis

Glenn McGrath (Australia) ~~ Dennis Lillee

Don't see what Harsh's problem is

On 6/23/2020 at 5:33 PM, Sandeep99 said:

So the armchair experts have a better opinion than a guy who played the game? Sachin may be great for us but Donald will always remember him as the guy who with all the hype behind him couldn't secure a single win on South African soil during his playing days. He has ever right to pick the other players who did well against him. 

It's surprising that he has picked Lara ahead of sachin. Obviously it's his opinion but Lara was suspect against genuine pace and, Donald had the better of lara almost all the time. The fast short ball from an around the wicket line by Donald was a bit too much for him wehenever they faced. SRT has scored 2 tons in SA against a peak Donald and was the superior player of genuine pace. Again, to each his own but it's surprising nonetheless.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:12 PM, Nikhil_cric said:

It's surprising that he has picked Lara ahead of sachin. Obviously it's his opinion but Lara was suspect against genuine pace and, Donald had the better of lara almost all the time. The fast short ball from an around the wicket line by Donald was a bit too much for him wehenever they faced. SRT has scored 2 tons in SA against a peak Donald and was the superior player of genuine pace. Again, to each his own but it's surprising nonetheless.

Very true and relevant.Great comment.Maye because Lara was more of a match winner who single handedly won more games than anyone and scored at a better strike rate.Lara was more mercurial but Tendulkar was more complete and consistent.Correctly You state he had a better record against genuine pace but Lara overall had more flair.